Achilles/ mark IV gen 1 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN1803

Hey guys, long time no post. I recently purchased the Achilles helmet from Doc Daily Designs. So far I've got it all trimmed up, cut the visor out and added a detail of my own. Here is my progress so far... glad I wore a respirator. The powder from cutting and sanding is extremely fine!!! More to come, stay tuned!!! On a side note this is my first helmet any tips on lighting and padding?
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG

Nice helmet! I've seen Doc working long time on it. It's super clean.
When I've seen your last photo, first I thought if your dremmel slipped, but then I saw the bottom - very nice battle damage.

Most people will tell you to fill the helmet with EVA or upholstery foam.
If you want to, I'd advise to go with upholstery foam, it's way softer and more comfortable, and the surface is more rough, so it won't be as slippery.

But I personally use this in my helmet - sorry, not my photos, but Stormies use this often too.
I got the idea from them. I don't know the name of this, but you can find it in all security helmets (the one below is just an example).

Why? Foam isolates, and your head is even warmer than rest of your body. Meaning you'll sweat, there won't be any air circulation. You'll warm up and sweat.

Here, with this strap? You can leave most of the helmet free, the air will flow, and if you have fans inside, it'll be even better.

- Palmer

0-3W-PE-Solar-Powered-Safety-Security-Helmet-Hard-Ventilate-Hat-Cap-with-Cooling-Cool-Fan.jpg

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_6402-300x158.jpg
    IMG_6402-300x158.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 355
IMG_0083.JPG
IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0075.JPG IMG_0076.JPG IMG_0080.JPG
Nice helmet! I've seen Doc working long time on it. It's super clean.
When I've seen your last photo, first I thought if your dremmel slipped, but then I saw the bottom - very nice battle damage.

Most people will tell you to fill the helmet with EVA or upholstery foam.
If you want to, I'd advise to go with upholstery foam, it's way softer and more comfortable, and the surface is more rough, so it won't be as slippery.

But I personally use this in my helmet - sorry, not my photos, but Stormies use this often too.
I got the idea from them. I don't know the name of this, but you can find it in all security helmets (the one below is just an example).

Why? Foam isolates, and your head is even warmer than rest of your body. Meaning you'll sweat, there won't be any air circulation. You'll warm up and sweat.

Here, with this strap? You can leave most of the helmet free, the air will flow, and if you have fans inside, it'll be even better.

- Palmer

View attachment 240469

Thank you! I was worried about heat in the helmet so I'll definitely have to look into this!

I got some paint yesterday and went to town. Sorry for the double post of pictures, still trying to figure this out on my phone. Primer and under coat are done. I put mustard on the areas I want the silver to show through and then once I paint the outer coat I'll pick it off. After that I plan on taking a foam fingernail file and spraying it with the metallic silver and biting it with that in a few spots. The file will actually scratch the surface and leave the silver behind. I'll try to get a coat on and add a pic before I leave for work.

Last edited:
Ha. I was wondering what that was. Try using Vaseline. It should work the same way.

I had used it on a mando helm I made a while back. It worked but left the surface greasy and it wouldn't hold paint when I tried to add a different type of weathering. I had to wait 24 hrs so I could wash it with soap and water. With the mustard it dries so you don't have to wash it off. I appreciate the tip though

UPDATE

Well I removed the mustard, probably should have added more but I can fix it to where I like it. Gonna let it sit for 24 hrs before I start the painstaking task of taping off the add a pattern.

IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG

Got it all taped off and put the first coat on, I did it this way because I get real shakey with small brushes and by the time I was over half way done taping I hadn't thought about black washing it. You can tell I'm a novice lol
image.jpg

looks awesome love the colors. You could try using silver paint and brushing over the edges gives it that metal look of being worn. I know Adam Savage has a lot of youtube videos of him making things and he does it a lot.

That's what I'll most likely do. Thanks man! I've though about adding very sudle hints of covenant blood, the blues and hunter orange. I'll probably mix in a bit of black paint to make it darker because when blood dries it darkens. I plan on using acrylic for all the weathering except the silver

Looks great. Love the green lines.
As for a weathering technique. You could try using a fine grit sand paper and lightly sand away the top coat to reveal the silver undercoat you have.
I haven't tried that method myself but, I have seen some nice results of photos online.

Very nice, love the surface finish. I second the idea of using a hard-hat liner inside the helmet, they work great and can be really comfy. I've worn helmets for hours on end at conventions thanks to a trusty hard-hat liner.

IMG_0116.PNG
Sorry for the lack of updates guys the weather in Oklahoma hasn't been too kind (too cold to paint)
image.jpg

Here is the visor color, I can't remember what doc daily told me it was. Depending on how the light hits it, it goes from red to green. Hopefully it warms up soon and I'll paint the Mohawk and get it epoxy' do then I'll do some weathering and clear coat it. As for the innards of the helmet despite being told about head gear being the best option. I went ahead and bought some padding and a fan. I may but another fan and set them up for more circulation. I've though about lights inside but honestly have no idea on wiring. I'm the equivalent of water when it comes to that stuff so any pointers would be awesome!!! More to come soon!

IMG_0134.JPG
Got the padding in today! Helmet fits perfect. Still waiting on the fan, I wanna see how good it feels with just one but I may order another. Weather is supposed to be warmer by next week so I'll be back at the painting. In the mean time I have a few spots on the Mohawk that need to be sanded

Last edited:
53878AE3-87A8-4D27-BCCE-9C84DC285EB7.jpg
CFE08577-D331-4C78-8E9B-B260127410D1.jpg
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
Well weather is nice all next week got some touch up and weathering done!!! I decided to add small covenant blood splatter, I wasn't extremely happy with it until I did the weathering, kinda darkened it up a bit. I used black acrylic for the weathering to kinda give it a soot / plasma blast look. Tomorrow I'm gonna add some scratch marks with silver paint

Well the weathering is done, I sprayed down the side of a paint brush with silver paint and hit all the sharp edges and corners. Tonight all I've done is the primer coats and then tomorrow it'll be silver. Hope you guys are enjoying the progress.
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0183.JPG

Now you have to mow the lawn while wearing that......Sweet build. It's truly a Ancient Spartan looking style helmet........but why are your pic so freakin big?

P.S., the fan is now 39.99

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back