Back in the saddle - foam armour for my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

Member DIN
S416
Time to get building again. Both of my girls (13 and 10) have requested their own Spartan armour (I'm so proud). They are especially excited because I told them they can have it any colour that they can find as a spray paint.

I found templates for kids helmet an chest on JFCustom's foam thread on The RPF:

JFcustom's FOAM files - Page 64

They look like this:

minihalohelmet.jpg
kids chest.gif

I then plan on doing standard H3 Mark VI lower body armour, well, simplified Mark VI lower body armour.

The foam work of the first helmet is mostly done, except for the side boxes. It actually took me four attempts to get the sizing right. Luckily these templates are pretty easy. The helmet only took two nights (about six hours) to complete, as opposed to a week for my Mark VI helmet.

IMG_2458.JPG
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG

Can't wait to have my own little fire team!

Marking out helmet number two

IMG_2459.JPG

Last edited:
Looking awesome Jme! Glad to have you back building again!

I look forward to seeing your own little Spartan fireteam come together!

Looking awesome Jme! Glad to have you back building again!

I look forward to seeing your own little Spartan fireteam come together!

Thanks, good to be back! it would be very cool to get them done for Fan Expo.

Thanks, good to be back! it would be very cool to get them done for Fan Expo.

With the progress you've made so far I think you could finish before September hits. Would love to see you guys there!

Reactions: Jme
Awesome job. Yes glad to see you back and building again. I like the looks of the chest files you found. I will be checking them out. Good luck I'll be watching this one.

Well....one would hope they fit the lids.......since it's for them right? Just saying.......

Haha speaking of kids lids......I may need you guys opinion in the near future . :confused::oops: I might of had a moment

Awesome job. Yes glad to see you back and building again. I like the looks of the chest files you found. I will be checking them out. Good luck I'll be watching this one.

Thanks, going to be figuring the sizing of the chest file out this weekend. It is going to take some work as I have no idea which measurement to use. I am going to play around with it and use the measurement tool to make sure that the parts are close the the right size.

Well....one would hope they fit the lids.......since it's for them right? Just saying.......

Yes.

But the first three helmets fit
A). Your giant noggin (seriously it was big on me)

B) Kermit the Frog

C) my youngest, barely.

Awesome you can be the guinea pig. I'll happily learn from your mistakes ;) alright sorry this will be it. I'll stop clogging up your thread with nonsense. Happy building
Edit : it shall be shared at a later date :whistle: I have a new thread coming too. But I've been slacking (n)

Last edited:
Well, this build is not dead. Although it took a bit of a hiatus over the summer.

I have managed to get both helmets, both forearms, a chest piece and three right one left shoulder piece (yeah I know) completed.

Work is going well but I need to get building in earnest, Halloween is right around the corner.

Here is the eldest modelling her set so far.
IMG_2779.JPG
IMG_2780.JPG
IMG_2781.JPG

chest still needs to be sized at the bottom and clips put in. This will pull it in to her waist, it isn't as bulky as it looks in the photos. As well, I need to cut and insert a spacer at the back of the neck as the thrusters are too close together and don't allow the head to turn.

More to come...

Looking good.
Well, this build is not dead. Although it took a bit of a hiatus over the summer.

I have managed to get both helmets, both forearms, a chest piece and three right one left shoulder piece (yeah I know) completed.

Work is going well but I need to get building in earnest, Halloween is right around the corner.

Here is the eldest modelling her set so far.
View attachment 249213 View attachment 249214 View attachment 249215

chest still needs to be sized at the bottom and clips put in. This will pull it in to her waist, it isn't as bulky as it looks in the photos. As well, I need to cut and insert a spacer at the back of the neck as the thrusters are too close together and don't allow the head to turn.

More to come...

I know how you feel about getting the suits done before Halloween.
I like how they are turning out. You did mention that the photo makes the armour look bulkier than it is but, the upper arm/shoulder area does seem to be too bulky. If you could find a way to trim some foam out, you might be able to bring the shoulder in a little.

I think it will be fine when it is padded and strapped. Right now it is just sitting there.

I am, however, going to take a look at it all when complete and make sure sizing is good. Luckily with this CE armour you can cut out the back side of the pieces if needed for sizing without hurting the piece.

Time is a ticking away dude.......Looks great so far.

I hear ya.

So it's update time!

Finished both sets of thighs. On to the shins, which given timing (we are headed to Florida for a week in mid-October). Might be th final pieces. I never like the look of armour without boots but I may have to leave them till after Halloween. We'll see.

IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2972.JPG
IMG_2973.JPG
IMG_2974.JPG
IMG_2975.JPG

I have used the same sizing for both girls but had to add some foam to the back of the elder's thigh pieces.

Feel free to note the discarded too-small helmet sitting in the doll crib.

Oh and if you are wondering, I am not doing cod pieces so that it is easier for the girls to walk and use the bathroom.

Oh and if you are wondering, I am not doing cod pieces so that it is easier for the girls to walk and use the bathroom.[/QUOTE]
They've less to protect down there anyway haha.
Those builds are looking awesome. Can't wait to see the colours they pick.
What are you thinking for visors?

I am going to make my own. I did that for my armour and it is pretty easy...and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back