Calgary team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohcrisdy

Hey everyone, im new to costuming and im doing a odst build for first time, anyone in calgary, alberta make theyre own helmets ? Or know prop shops that make them ??? Any help is appreciated i looked at raw casts online but they like 200 and would take around 3 weeks to ship, im hoping to have it dont for calg expo

Edmonton guy here, who will be down for the Calgary expo. $200 is a decent price for a helmet, and the 3 week ship time is likely faster (and far far cheaper) than anyone locally can make a one-off helmet. You could possibly have one printed out, but you wouldn't have that for a couple weeks, at best, and you would still have to clean up and finish the model.
I wouldn't try to rush together a suit right before a convention. Maybe aim to go to the red deer or Edmonton expo later this year!

FlyinPhil is definitely speaking the truth. This hobby is pricey but considering all of the materials that go in to making a helmet etc, $200 is reasonable. 3 week turn around is miraculous, really. You have to expect to wait much longer most times. Helmets are definitely harder to do yourself than the armor, although both require practice and patience. My philosophy is spend a little money on the lid and save yourself some money by doing the armor yourself.

As well, given your time line you'd never have the time to properly finish it even if you had the helmet in front of you now. You'll thank yourself later if you take the time to get the product you want and have the time to do a great job on it!

There are lots of really great guys located in Calgary that I'm sure would be happy to assist you in your journey and then people like Phil and I aren't all that far away in Edmonton. Jedi Ranger will likely chime in when he has a moment. Welcome aboard!

Sorry I didn't chime in sooner, I have been really busy in the last couple months. Everything that had been mentioned already I fully agree with.

An armoured costume is not something you want to rush, especially the helmet.

If you get a chanice, you should come to the Expo at the Military Museums on Saturday May 20, next weekend. I will be there and we can totally chat!

Welcome and hope to meet you soon! We need more ODSTs in the area!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back