Centurion Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
Hello fellow 405th-ers!!!

After much hemming and hawing, fence sitting and contemplation, 2 false starts and a prop distraction build (unfinished), I have come to a point that I must begin building in earnest. And my build of choice will be the Centurion armor. Yep, Fred S-104's suit will be mine!!!! I have a little over 4 months till NYC Comicon......Not sure if I will finish but I figure if I dedicate at least 1 hr a day and more on the weekends, I should be able to pull it off. I had already begun working on the chest piece just to familiarize myself w/ it and decide to either pep or foam it. Just stating the obvious here but the pep is more detailed but the foam will be less time consuming.....so I still have to come to terms w/ this portion of the build.

I had started the helmet a while back but put it aside as I was still up in the air on which suit to build, either the EOD, ODST or Centurion.....So I had 3 separate helmets being built at the same time. The EOD is peped and modge-podged so it is further along than anything else. The ODST helmet was sized wrong and fits my 10 year old......The Centurion was one of the false starts....I had gotten to a certain point and got so frustrated w/ how it was turning out, I let my anger get the better of me......not sure where it is now since I threw it across the basement and I haven't seen it since.....

Any-who....here is where I'm at in attempt #2:

IMG-20160616-01325.jpgIMG-20160616-01326.jpg

Ok, so here we have the "crown" and the back half of the top. I started w/ this section because the last time I started w/ the front half of the top and I just couldn't get things in the right spot. I was even using a lighter weight paper, 90lb, and I was still having issues w/ lining up the seams. Not to say I didn't have a jolly time working on this new one which is the 100lb version. Using Duco-Cement and reinforcing w/ a little scotch tape to keep the tabs in place....seems to do the trick. After it dries I just peel off the tape and move on to the next piece. I'm just dreading the front half of this after what happened the 1st time......This was after about an hour and a half's work, so like I said, a little at a time and I'll be cruising on all cylinders.

Thanks for listing in on my insanity. Comments, questions and criticisms are all welcome.

A couple of hours a day is all you need. I've been doing that with my 3 suits I'm making and I'm finally on the homestretch. You can doooo it. Looking forward to more posts.

Well........unfortunately I sized the helmet wrong........Can you say..... "BOBBLE HEAD"? So....... yeah......But the good news is that the issue I had the first time didn't happen again so that is a plus. Either because the templates were larger or I took more time to piece everything together or because I knew what I did wrong the first time. I am resizing my helmet right after this and going for attempt #3......and hoping that the 3rd time is the charm......I didn't take pics as it was just embarrassing how ridiculously off I was in the size.......got a good laugh out of the family though......kind of like wearing a wok on my head.... ... And before I go.....a Happy Belated Father's Day to all you dads out there. Hope your day was a good as mine or better.

Thank you Deuce Bigalow. I will doooo it. And thanks to the rest of you for your support and encouragement.

Ok, Attempt #4:

The 3rd attempt was infant size so let's not go there......I must be drunk when sizing this......So this is what I had gotten up to on attempt #2:

IMG-20160621-01329.jpg

Looks good..but....this was an accident and I think I printed out the helmet as is.....no scaling adjustment.....here is scaled down to what I hope is my size:

IMG-20160621-01330.jpg

Huge difference. The good part of all of this is I banged out this latest one out just last night. After 3 attempts, you kind of know where all the parts are and where they go. That's it for the moment. Lets hope that I don't have to resize again.....I'm loosing valuable time.

Glad you've got it going. I just finished First Strike, so now I know who Fred is....

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Aha!

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Hey guys. Not much in the way of progress since I have so little time to myself but still getting in a bit here and there.

IMG-20160630-01381.jpgIMG-20160630-01382.jpgIMG-20160630-01383.jpg

Coming along nicely. You will notice in the 2nd pic the lower part of the crown on the left side is a bit off. I have tried several time to readjust but for the life of me just can't get the folds correct. So I've decided to press on and correct it later during bondo. Just add a bit of chunk to that area to build up and sand it down to size. I'm pretty happy w// the way its coming out so far and I think the size will be correct. I was hoping to get it done last weekend but had too many family functions to attend to do so....Happy Times!!!! Good excuse but time is now a-wasting. I have my tickets for Comicon and the clock has officially started. 98 days to go and I still have a ton to get done.

My suit

New chest and boots for my son and install fan in helmet

Repaint his M6

Finish my M247H Foam weapon.

That's a lot to get done but......done it will be!!!

Nice work DD. The size is looking better. :) Quite a list you've got there, but I've seen you pull off against the odds before so I have faith. Sub'd

Good excuse but time is now a-wasting. I have my tickets for Comicon and the clock has officially started. 98 days to go and I still have a ton to get done.

Progress is looking great, Dirtsy! Don't stress about the date. Keep it as a goal in your head, but don't focus on it . It's just a number. If you get to hung up on the date, you'll start making rushed mistakes instead of a quality build.

Thanks PD, yeah the list is a bit chunky......and I'm really looking forward to really getting a big bite out of this list this weekend.......4 days off.........late nights.......early mornings.........BBQ on the 4th (Uncles B-Day and I run the grill) and several glasses of Irish Whisky just for fun!!!

But I do have a game plan:

Finish my helmet by mid July.......Every Monday will be time towards the M247H and completed by end of summer.......After helmet is done, start on my chest piece and arms (need help w/ the legs as I'm a computer illiterate w/ the OBJ file). That should be about 1 month's worth (factor in mistakes and all but just the chest and arms, legs later). That puts me at Mid August. Use the end of the month to do my son's boots (Never got around to do them the 1st time). September redo son's chest. Early/Mid Sept start on my legs........hope I have PDO's by then....if not will have to go w/ generic. This will leave me a few days for painting.......I hope. I'm being very generous w/ my time schedule.....I just have to stick to it.

Progress is looking great, Dirtsy! Don't stress about the date. Keep it as a goal in your head, but don't focus on it . It's just a number. If you get to hung up on the date, you'll start making rushed mistakes instead of a quality build.

I know.....I've done those mistakes before......probably will again but I'm trying to rush while trying not to rush........if that makes any sense......but I have confidence I can get it done.

We already know how well
You work to a deadline.

I have complete faith.

Thanks Jme, need all the encouragement I can get!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jme
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back