Dual Layer Visor Mini-Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
the cheaper way to do this is to get a piece of 1/16 inch thinck sheet acrylic or a 1/16th inch thick piece of lexan, cut the pattern into it, and then wrap it around the front side of the visor. it's cheaper (by $50!!) and gives the same effect becaue the clear is right on top of the gold.

Except that the lexan will not conform to the compound curve of the visor. Thanks for thinking about it though.

BTW to answer another question, the visors can be installed in the helmet with hot glue or with nylon bolts and threaded nuts epoxiec into the inside of your helmet. Personal preference naturally.. whatever you prefer.

Very nice tut, sorry for the question, do you think that a "HJC Shield for CL-11, CS-10" gonna fit in my helmet? it's from pepakura files" normal size, thanks

That should be fine, but it looks like those ones only come in clear, if your looking for that then great! But you might want to check for a reflective one :)

adventSpartanMatrix said:
another way to clean the visor after the cutting is use a soft makeup brush to remove the dust FYI

And then you can apply some foundation and rouge. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Idk if anyone has run into this problem, but when I tried installing the visor into my helmet, the helmet wasn't curved like the visor was, so it didn't fit to well. I tried hot glue, but the visor's bending strength made the glue worthless. I ended up using tons of duct tape, but now, a couple days later, that isn't holding up too well anymore.

How should I secure the visor?

Is it a Pepakura -made helmet?

Because these are made from game models, they don't have a bearing on real-world visors.. some customization may be needed to get it to seat properly inside the helmet.

Sean Bradley said:
BTW to answer another question, the visors can be installed in the helmet with hot glue or with nylon bolts and threaded nuts epoxiec into the inside of your helmet. Personal preference naturally.. whatever you prefer.

is your visor curved too much or too little? it sounds like it is forcing itself inward? if so I would suggest some sort of stop or bolts, like Sean says. and there are stronger adhesives out there if you need them

Skyman said:
is your visor curved too much or too little? it sounds like it is forcing itself inward? if so I would suggest some sort of stop or bolts, like Sean says. and there are stronger adhesives out there if you need them

Its a pepakura model This is the W.I.P. Thread.

Its not curved enough, so while in place it tends to bend flatter then the curve of the helmet (forcing the ears out). Hot glue had no effect what so ever. I couldn't even get it to sit in place while the glue was hardening. It may have just been the type of visor i was using, but this leads to other problems I might have:

what if the visor doesn't bend so that it makes contact with the helmet (like bent to far)

Thanks to everyone that replied to my question, but still need answer.

Sean Bradley said:
Snap a couple pics of the problem if you will. We'll try to get you fixed up in a jiffy.

Alright heres some pics.

Top:
pb040052gj5.jpg

Bottom:
pb040051ru1.jpg

Side (Right while looking at the helmet from the front) This is where the visor broke my fiberglass:
pb040053vi1.jpg

The best way to visually explain what is happening is to put out your hand in front of you, and shape it like a visor (palm should be facing you, while the fingers are curved in). Now by just moving you're fingers, bend your hand straight. That is exactly what is happening in my helmet, except that since the ears(sides of the helmet) are boundaries, it doesn't move outward, but pulls away from the front, and in one side actually started to push through the ear haha.
--------------------------
Hope those pics help :)

It looks to me that you need to dremel out the mating surface between the visor and the helmet a bit more. I'm at least seeing that theres something obstructing the visor from fitting against the nose section. Sand that surface smooth and you'll get a better fit between the two pieces. Based on the scale of the pepakura and the visor it doesn't look like you're going to get a perfect match, but I think you can at least improve it.

Don't hesitate here to also alther the helmet to match the visors curve. If it doesn't match perfectly build out the helmet to meet the visor. This will especially be helpful at the underside of the brim, where the curve of the pep model is much wider than the actual visor.

Either way, I think that with a little more dremel and work and filling with with either some epoxy putty of some bondo that you can help this situation out greatly by smoothing out that mating surface and rounding the curve a bit.

Does that sound like it might work for you?

Sean Bradley said:
It looks to me that you need to dremel out the mating surface between the visor and the helmet a bit more. I'm at least seeing that theres something obstructing the visor from fitting against the nose section. Sand that surface smooth and you'll get a better fit between the two pieces. Based on the scale of the pepakura and the visor it doesn't look like you're going to get a perfect match, but I think you can at least improve it.

Don't hesitate here to also alther the helmet to match the visors curve. If it doesn't match perfectly build out the helmet to meet the visor. This will especially be helpful at the underside of the brim, where the curve of the pep model is much wider than the actual visor.

Either way, I think that with a little more dremel and work and filling with with either some epoxy putty of some bondo that you can help this situation out greatly by smoothing out that mating surface and rounding the curve a bit.

Does that sound like it might work for you?

Sounds like you want me to build on the inside with some Body Filler (thats what I readily have, or I could use Resin again, but thats to much work for something like this). If so, I could probably get that done. Eventhough, the problem isn't that the visor doesn't fit the curve of the helmet (because it does when bent), its that it won't stay bent, but tends to flatten out. It flattens out with quite force to (if it can crack fiberglass resin!). I don't Know if forming the helmet to the visor would work in the long run, as the visor may want to straighten out again.

I considered screwing the ears of the visor to the ears of the helmet while the visor was in place, but I think it would definitely break the ear(s) of the helmet, and don't think I could disguise/hide the crews very well.
-----------------------
I think I will try some Body Filler, but not untill at least this weekend, as I don't have the time to custom fit the visor right now. So if anyone can think of a better way, let me know.

Let me ponder this a bit overnight and get back to you tomorrow since nobody else is chiming in with advice here. :cautious:

If you can squeeze the visor to fit, you can undoubtedly make it stay that way... it's just a choice of anchors.. Do me a favor though and take a pic of the helmet WITH the visor squeezed/held in place... this may not as complicated as I thought. I can prolly have an easier solution for you :eek:

i think youre having a very similar problem to what i was having. i dont entirely understand your explanation, but if youre saying that the visor bulges out on the "ear parts" ripping the helmet. and leaves gaps near the front, then you may have to trim the visor down to make it small enough to fit in the space. its a tight squeeze but if you trim the sides little by little dont cut a bunch at once or you may cut too much, but it should reduce the stress thats being put on the ear parts, and make it easier to fit in the front. correct me if this isnt the problem youre having

rachciav said:
i think youre having a very similar problem to what i was having. i dont entirely understand your explanation, but if youre saying that the visor bulges out on the "ear parts" ripping the helmet. and leaves gaps near the front, then you may have to trim the visor down to make it small enough to fit in the space. its a tight squeeze but if you trim the sides little by little dont cut a bunch at once or you may cut too much, but it should reduce the stress thats being put on the ear parts, and make it easier to fit in the front. correct me if this isnt the problem youre having

Heres the problem I have.

I did not have enough time to actually purchase a visor online, so I had to go locally. In my town, the only ones available were non reflective, but smoke tinted ones that were not bent like a visor. They were bent a little bit, but not enough to pass as a visor, the reason for this is because it was a snap on. So basically think about my situation as having a sheet of plexiglass, and trying to bend that into the form of my helmet...Its going to want to straighten back out.

And I will try and get some pics of it bent to the shape of the helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back