Emile Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
So, after meeting vivalablake89 at last year's NYC CC, my son was blown away by his Emile suit and begged me to build his next suit as Emile.......I can't say I blame him since the Emile suit is pretty cool......So This time around, I am making him help in building his suit, this way we can get it done sooner for NYC CC 2017. 7 months.....Can we do it? Gona try.......So just to get his feet wet, we started w/ Emile's blade, the Kukri knife.

So, he cut out and traced the pattern and I cut out the foam pieces.....(I need to teach him how to respect an open blade before I let him use one...I learned the hard way by almost slicing off the tip of my thumb when I was his age). After brainstorming on its construction for a few minutes, he though it would be a good idea to put some type of "spine" inside the knife to hold it ridged and not flop around. While searching through my.....ok "our" supply stash, he came across some BBQ wood skewers.....perfect. lined everything up and just like what it is used for....created a BBQ Kukri.....Since this was our first attempt I wasn't so careful and did poke out the front but I redid and worked better. Now I have a question for those that have made foam blades.......

What did you do to the rough side of the EVA?

This was just a test piece and will be redone.....and redone much better.

Did you layer two pieces of foam together or just use one piece?
If its just one piece you would have to sand all or that stuff off. If it was two pieces glued together the rough sides would be the sides that would receive the glue thus hiding it.
The option I would do is use thinner foam. For a Destiny Hunter knife I layered together two pieces of 6 mm foam and used some wire coat hanger for internal support.

That is what I was afraid of.......I don't have 6 mm foam on hand and that leave me the wonderful task of sanding down the other 1/2 of the blade.....yummy.

I don't envy you on that task. I guess you don't have access to a belt sander? It would make things just a little easier and quicker.
The only other thing I can suggest is do some surgery. Cut your shape out twice. Then remove the rough side by splitting them down the middle. Then glue the two now smooth pieces together.

I could also try to glue thin craft foam to the rough side but I don't know how those divots would react to the craft foam.....it may translate those divots through.....and I'll be back to square one.

I'm in NYC......there like a dime a dozen here.......just have to get my lazy butt there.

For blades what people sometimes do is cut out th shape out of the regular foam and cut down the center of the knife, usually not straight down the middle but have it so you're just slicing off the rough edge and leaving enough blade left so it doesn't wobble. If the cut is done smoothly it'll look really good, no rough side and the knife will be a bit skinnier so it's a bit more realistic.

If I'm using 1/2 inch foam....and even if I cut "not straight down the middle".....the blade is going to be thick overall.

Ok.....so fast forward 1 year.........Irving has once again requested an Emile suit. I was very hung up in regards to him growing out of it so fast and I was right. In the past year he has grown 6 inches and basically grew out of almost every stitch of clothing he owned......shoes as well, which he now wears a size 13 to my 12 and he is only 12 years old .....That being said, I think I can now work on granting his wish and he'll get a better time and longer use out of it. So having a hard time w/ helmets, I though I hit that first:

IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0731.JPG IMG_0734.JPG

Its 1/2 the way there and so far so good. Once I have the back end completed I can gage it properly. he tried it on as is.......I can't tell yet because the back end isn't complete. I have see someone take the visor section and after hardening it w/ fiberglass, build a backing to it out of cement w/ a little table stand. He then took a piece of plexi glass and heated it w/ a heat gun and it conformed to the proper shape. Once cooled, he trimmed off the excess and it fit like a charm. I'm gonna give that a try. I want him to have good visibility out of the "eye holes" and the tinted film I have is perfect for it.

I have see someone take the visor section and after hardening it w/ fiberglass, build a backing to it out of cement w/ a little table stand. He then took a piece of plexi glass and heated it w/ a heat gun and it conformed to the proper shape. Once cooled, he trimmed off the excess and it fit like a charm. I'm gonna give that a try. I want him to have good visibility out of the "eye holes" and the tinted film I have is perfect for it.

Helmet looks sweet so far.
I can only guess that the rest of the suit is going to be foam? Will you build Emile's shotgun as well?

I was wondering how you were going to tackle the dome. Most people I have seen who made an Emile either,bought a cast dome or made a buck and vacuformed the bugger.

Well the shotgun.........I was contemplating saving up enough to get it 3Ded but that is enough for the whole gangs ticket to a con......money doesn't grow on trees....so that weapon is up in the air at this point. The rest of the suit....yes, will be out of foam. I also though of of buying a cast of the dome but there is no guarantee of a proper fit. If I fail in my plan....then I might have to go that route.

Got some work in this this weekend.....in between laundry loads that is. Almost done.....the back is a bit wonky, but it is coming out nicely. It could just be from that lower section not being completed......I hope. Irving had a test fit and there is plenty of room for padding, vents, fan(s), and growth...lights?......I don't plan on making him another suit for a while after this so it has to last for a while.

IMG_0738.JPG
IMG_0739.JPG

Helmet is moving along nicely.
After finishing the pep phase and that little wonky area doesnt straiten out, how would you go about fixing that? Since I haven't attempted a pep build I was just curious about trouble shooting techniques that a veteran pep builder like yourself would use.
On a side note. It was bugging me for a while that Emilie's helmet reminded me of someone else and then it hit. From the game Warframe is a Frame called Vabaun. Emilie's helmet from the side reminded me of Vabaun's helmet from the side.
Vauban_full_dual.jpg

That, and the piece that goes from chin to back of the helmet......It might be because of the angle that my helmet is sitting on is different that when worn....This is the file in the armory for Emile's helmet......???

As far as the wonky area.....if the area is indented.....meaning it sticks in....you could build it up w/ bondo on the outside and sand to shape.....if it bulges outward, you build it up from the inside w/ fiberglass and shave the outer section to patch the corresponding side. It can also be partially reshaped during the initial 1st coating of resin. The paper is a bit pliable when moistened by the resin and I just might be able to coax the piece back in to place. Using Popsicle sticks to force the shape and help keep the shape during resining is also a good way to go.

And that is the best idea!!! Thank you electricknite, that would be the easiest way to do it. I have spliced many pieces in that I tore when scoring the tabs....so cutting out the effected section should not be a problem.......now what do I do about that bulbous area? cut it out and freehand? could that effect the overall stability of the whole thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back