Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Mara, you free hand the Dremel work? Very impressive. Do you trace out your lines first then follow? I've used my Dremel for tile work in bathrooms. They make an attachment that puts the unit at a 45 degree angle. Its not for tight or small spaces....but it keeps the bit from digging in to far and keeps the correct line of the cut.

Alright! Another problem solved. Ordered magnets earlier and these came in today.

I'm very happy, because these sit perfectly. Now I just have to glue the pistols and work on them.

Also, basically this is how I'm doing all the red markings. Doing templates digitally, then print, cut and draw on tape, then just cut off.

WP_20160809_15_26_39_Pro.jpg

So Mara, you free hand the Dremel work? Very impressive. Do you trace out your lines first then follow? I've used my Dremel for tile work in bathrooms. They make an attachment that puts the unit at a 45 degree angle. Its not for tight or small spaces....but it keeps the bit from digging in to far and keeps the correct line of the cut.

Well, first I draw lines with pencil (like below), then I just go with the dremel over it again.
I hold the dremel like I'd hold a pencil, so it's quite comfortable and I have a lot of control where I should go and how deep.

WP_20160805_19_55_13_Pro.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first, amazing job as always and : I'm very happy to hear you this happy.

Secondly, please forgive the slight highjack of your thread, Mara. :)

Thirdly, for all those "foam peasants" like myself : while this works perfectly on the type of suit material Mara used, magnets this strong will cause your gun to make impressions into your foam suit (trust me on this - i learned this the hard way)

They will at LEAST botch up your paintjob, in worst case they will damage the foam surface of your armor if that armor is foam-based.
Using weaker magnets is no good : I tried the combination of 2x18kg magnets on my foam suit, and it was not able to keep the gun (the Boomco) secure, although it must be said, the BoomCo with the led mod I did does weigh more than those printed M6G you're seeing there.

Also, I'll most certainly redo them in a future version to include a much stronger peg&hole assembly system, but at that time, I was till having issues making that work in a good way.

Anyway :
I solved this "auto damage" issue on my foam armor by using a tranparant piece of plastic as a "docking surface" where the gun would attach (at that time, I used a Boomco M6G, not them fancy nice big ones Mara's using right here). Or you could make a metal insert in your foam suit and painting that into the same color scheme as the armor itself, but that would still leave you with the risk the (overly)strong magnets as there would be little to nothing between the magnets to impede the magnets total bonding strength) would excert such a high strenght on the construction the metal insert could tear out of the foam parts.

Oh yeah! Totally, kaween I agree and I wouldn't do it if it was foam. The magnet and the hold is very strong - it only became a little bit unstable when I was holding the pistol and shaking the whole thigh, bell just because it has more weight.

BUT, foam? Nope. I think the foam could rip apart if you tried to take the pistol from the thigh.
Multiple weaker magnets? Could do, but I wouldn't use such one big strong magnet on foam.

Kaween - did you remove all the BoomCo internals? The firing system? Mine, when I removed everything just kept the trigger and the sliding mechanism, is pretty light. About 220g?

But yeah, for foam, better use multiple magnets... But, only if the armor allows, haha! I couldn't use it as the thigh pieces I have, they are rounded and all... Luckily, Chief's armor IS straight, hah. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a seriously strong magnet you have there :p

What have you got on the inside of your thigh? Is that another magnet, or some sheet metal?

That's a seriously strong magnet you have there :p

What have you got on the inside of your thigh? Is that another magnet, or some sheet metal?

Yeah, it's quite strong. I would NOT want for the magnets to snap on my skin or something.

I have the same magnet in my pistol and second magnet in the thigh. Both are N38 35x35x10mm magnets with strength of 25kg.

This is so well thought out and i'm loving watching this build come to life. I love the use of the magnets and I think I will use similar methods for the 'pack' on my Cortana's back when I start on that.

Well, couldn't do anything on the thighs lately because it's been raining lately. :(

However, I glued the Magnums together. Unfortunately one part shifted to the side about 1mm, but it isn't a huge problem to fix with bondo I guess.

Also, finished the rib covers for chest. Just a photo, because I sprayed on them the lighter dark gray... No real difference visible. Luckily!

WP_20160811_03_20_33_Pro.jpg

This is so well thought out and i'm loving watching this build come to life. I love the use of the magnets and I think I will use similar methods for the 'pack' on my Cortana's back when I start on that.

Thanks and good luck! For some parts magnets are nice. :)

Well, couldn't do anything on the thighs lately because it's been raining lately. :(

However, I glued the Magnums together. Unfortunately one part shifted to the side about 1mm, but it isn't a huge problem to fix with bondo I guess.

Also, finished the rib covers for chest. Just a photo, because I sprayed on them the lighter dark gray... No real difference visible. Luckily!

View attachment 30391

Thanks and good luck! For some parts magnets are nice. :)

I do agree! And your armour is coming along beautifully!

Painting the pistols.
Finished the shins yesterday. Will be finishing the chest today night.
Also, have to finish the undersuit.
Tomorrow I'll be finishing the thighs... Then add padding and strapping...
Oh, I won't be doing a helmet. Won't make it. After Gamescom it seems.

Because I have only 2 days left...

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-13 at 7.40.03 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2016-08-13 at 7.40.05 PM.jpeg

soooo nice. :D
You did bring that M6 to life, for sure. People still considering using the Boomco M6 for serious cosplay should know better now. :D

BUT. (egghead mode at full strength) : wrong screws. :D
I'll bring a couple of correct ones to GC2016. :D (not kidding :D - kind of a inside joke, Mara knows I don't mean bad)

Weathered one Magnum.
For comparison you can see the other Magnum behind still unweathered.

DSC01327.JPG
DSC01328.JPG

:love looks awesome!
I look at your posts everyday, you're a genius ^^

Haha, thank you. :)
I'm no genius though. ;)

soooo nice. :D
You did bring that M6 to life, for sure. People still considering using the Boomco M6 for serious cosplay should know better now. :D

BUT. (egghead mode at full strength) : wrong screws. :D
I'll bring a couple of correct ones to GC2016. :D (not kidding :D - kind of a inside joke, Mara knows I don't mean bad)

I said it many times, I LOVE these two pretties. :D
Thank you so much.

Hahaha. XD Sorry! :D
Well I thought I'm using these screws so I might use them everywhere. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back