First build: Thom A293 based concept armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the detail is awesome on your modeling. I can't wait to see your future progress!

Thom, have you been able to get all those detail pieces you added to the chest model onto your foamed chest yet? I am really looking forward to that.

Wow the detail is awesome on your modeling. I can't wait to see your future progress!
Thanks, I have been really busy lately so I having been able to work on the suit in a while, my guess is beginning of next month. I'm hoping here in a bit I will be able to jump back on the horse and go full steam ahead like I was, just at a bump in the road the past while.

Thom, have you been able to get all those detail pieces you added to the chest model onto your foamed chest yet? I am really looking forward to that.
No sir, have not done that yet. My plan is to build all the main parts first then go over and add that extra level of detail, that of which would include the chest pieces.

After quite a while of not being able to work on anything, I'M BACK!!!! Bwaa haa haa. I have done some work on the shoulder pieces and probably will be finishing those really soon. More recently however I have pretty much finished the 3D model of the M73 Light Machine Gun. While I was grabbing the pictures I saw I still have one little part to build that I forgot:p:D, should be easy enough. So without any more of my jibber jabbing, here are some pictures!
LMG%20progress%201_zpsuvezmx6j.jpg

LMG%20progress%202_zps66kxgyxa.jpg

LMG%20progress%203_zpsc3mh3fgk.jpg

LMG%20progress%207_zpsfgmyt7if.jpg

I have taken a lot of inspiration from the HALO Reach rifle including mainly the stock, foreguard, and sight unit. This version of the M73 I am making doesn't have the big drum mag shown in the concept art that has this in it. Instead mine will have just a big magazine in it, think of it more like a heavy rifle.

lmg%20progress%205_zpsaw7dyvaa.jpg

lmg%20progress%204_zps9dzr71lm.jpg

With the great help of mblackwell1002, I am going to have the weapon printed out so each main part I have kept separate and added outcroppings or extended out cylinders to more connect the parts together instead of you having to guess where the part goes and end up with it at the slightest angle or slightly off.

lmg%20progress%206_zpsvigtktfi.jpg

This is a beastly 3.24ish feet long weapon. I'd say that this thing is (imagine an air guitar playing right now and a Bill and Ted voice saying) "pretty papeesheewoosh man!!!"
Bwwwweeweewwewweeewwwww
...ok that was my try at a text air guitar.

Fire at will!!! Amazeballs!
I'm ready to print when you are!!! send the file when ready!

are you going to model that front tactical flashlight? What about the iron sight?
because, just saying, it's fun to be able to customize your prop at cons, and it shows other people the prop's coolness.
I dunno, just adds a cool factor, I guess.

Fire at will!!! Amazeballs!
I'm ready to print when you are!!! send the file when ready!

are you going to model that front tactical flashlight? What about the iron sight?
because, just saying, it's fun to be able to customize your prop at cons, and it shows other people the prop's coolness.
I dunno, just adds a cool factor, I guess.
I PM'd ya with some questions. I didn't do the front iron sight cause it blocked the camera/scope thing on the gun. Then if I had made a hole in the iron for the sight to see through it would have been to fragile. The flashlight I was just thinking of buying a flashlight and mounting it to the spot.

well, I meant a removable iron sight. You can also make some attachable other diddly-doos just for fun. the small attachments would probably end up being like $1-2 a piece or something, so I figured you might as well, y'know? I just like that stuff on my props, so I figured I'd let you in on some of the cheapness of 3D printing. ;)

Last edited:
Yeah I might do that. Make it and if it doesn't work then it was just a dollar or two so no biggy.
Little teaser of what I worked on this morning:
pistol%202_zpsdcapjplg.jpg

pistol%203_zpsz9iclqfl.jpg

I'm always more than impressed by 3D modeling and what people can accomplish via computers........I just wish I had the capability to do so myself....just too much of a neanderthal to do so. Great job Thom A293. Looking forward to seeing this in real life.

Yep, One of my interpretation with the SOCOM version of the pistol and the SMG stock. This is just my first brainstorming of it so I will probably make it more of a carbine look by increasing barrel length and adding a foregrip for it or something.

Yep, One of my interpretation with the SOCOM version of the pistol and the SMG stock. This is just my first brainstorming of it so I will probably make it more of a carbine look by increasing barrel length and adding a foregrip for it or something.
Nice! It's cool that you're doing all concept weapons for your suit.

So the M73 has been finished and is currently in the progress of printing! If you want, you can check out the page here: FFA series number 14: M73 LMG where mblackwell1002 the good sir he is, has the 3d file up for anyone if you want to grab it since my M73 is now part of the FFA series.
I have worked on the pistol a bit and I have just been playing around with detail and deleting and then adding things.
pistol%204_zpsl0nlemnt.jpg

I hadn't really done any work with the foam suit because I had done a rushed foam commission build of Katniss's mockingjay suit. Like I mean rushed, so when I did have that done, I wanted to take a slight break:D. Just recently I have now started back on the suit and I got both of the shoulders done! The commando one is actually still sturdy even with part of it removed. I removed some to make it more like the concept art. I probably will reinforce it with a layer of scrap foam on the inside, but that can be when I do the detail pass on the parts. Enough of my blabbing, here are some more pictures!
untitled2_zpsby3qccyh.png

untitled4_zpszbougm4u.png

untitled3_zps1y28ctmn.png

untitled_zpsgwbbsuev.png

New phone too so no more horrible pictures:D:D!!!

Yes!!! At long last some more foam stuff to drool over! The detail....the lines.....THE ACCURACY, that's freaking amazing Thom. For bracing the commando shoulder attatchment you should try using the skinny interlocking pieces that you just take off the main block of foam if you haven't thrown them away. I use those all the time for reinforcing the insides of pieces and you should be able to do the same thing here.

Loving the progress on your build! The M73 is so sexy. For the commando shoulder just make sure when you paint it, if you're still following the color scheme of the concept armor then the way its painted is different then the normal commando shoulder. Figured that out when I was painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back