Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

animeloverlela

Jr Member
Hello! So I've built a couple items but they were all out of line. I am using hot glue, ad have been told that my glue lines were too thick ad too messy. They said that I should be using loctite super glue gel to clean them up and make it stay in the right shape. Should I be buying some of the super glue? If so how many bottles should I get for a helmet and full Halo 5 chest piece? Btw I'm building a pep file not foam.

Last edited:
Different people will swear by whatever glue works best for them. Some people prefer hot glue and say nothing works better. Others will say superglue is the only way to go. I used to use Elmer's School Glue but it was taking too long to dry so I switched to Aleene's Quick-Dry Tacky Glue. I like it because it sets up quickly and dries fast, yet has about a minute of "working time" to get edges aligned (unlike superglue which sets almost instantly, and can be a mess on your fingers). You should try different glues and then use whichever one you feel works the best for you.

I've tried Super Glue when I first started. The foam soaked up a lot of the glue, and it sometimes gave off a wisp of smoke that stank. I agree w/ RobotChicken, try a few different glues and use whichever one feels best for you.

I've seen a lot of prop builders use contact cement, I think it's called? The bond on the glue becomes stronger then foam it's attached to. Sounds cool. You would probably have to be in a open space for it so it's another thing to think about when choosing the glue. I have used hot glue on my stuff. My top make sure you get the big glue gun and use coupons, get the larger packs, nothing is more irritating then running out mid project.

I've used super glue and it will crack and break apart real easily on foam, And I've used hot glues and I had the same problem as you. I would go with Contact cement weldwood or barge are both very good for adhering one piece of foam to another because the open cells in the eva foam won't suck it up like super glue and wont melt because there is no heat like hot glue. I 've used weldwood for the past 2 years and it has never failed me and my armor hasn't come apart since with consistent wears.

Contact cement is correct or some people call it Rubber Cement. There is actually 2 ways to use this material. Paint on wait a bit and attach the pieces. This gives a temporary stick that you can actually pull apart carefully. The more permanent way is to put glue on both pieces to be attached, wait till it gets tacky (about 10 min) and then stick pieces together. This is a more permanent bond....but be warned, once stuck......there is no adjustments after a few seconds. Stuck is stuck.

I've seen a lot of prop builders use contact cement, I think it's called? The bond on the glue becomes stronger then foam it's attached to. Sounds cool. You would probably have to be in a open space for it so it's another thing to think about when choosing the glue. I have used hot glue on my stuff. My top make sure you get the big glue gun and use coupons, get the larger packs, nothing is more irritating then running out mid project.
Would it wok well on the cardstock, I don't build with foam so I'm worried it'd be to bulky

I've used super glue and it will crack and break apart real easily on foam, And I've used hot glues and I had the same problem as you. I would go with Contact cement weldwood or barge are both very good for adhering one piece of foam to another because the open cells in the eva foam won't suck it up like super glue and wont melt because there is no heat like hot glue. I 've used weldwood for the past 2 years and it has never failed me and my armor hasn't come apart since with consistent wears.
Would it work well on the cardstock, I don't build with foam so I'm worried it'd be to bulky. I love your armor btw it's very nice.

I use about 3 bottles of the gel stuff. It helps keep the shape as you mentioned before, but your fingers will get stuck to the glue a lot.
I would suggest getting some latex gloves or something to prevent sticking. Remember, super glue cures by pressure, so squeeze the adhesion area to ensure a good bond with paper.

Good to see that you're back at building, by the way. :) I was curious where you had gone.

I use about 3 bottles of the gel stuff. It helps keep the shape as you mentioned before, but your fingers will get stuck to the glue a lot.
I would suggest getting some latex gloves or something to prevent sticking. Remember, super glue cures by pressure, so squeeze the adhesion area to ensure a good bond with paper.

Good to see that you're back at building, by the way. :) I was curious where you had gone.
It's good to be back. (Finally away from school for a couple of weeks) I'm extremely excited to start my chest armor. I used to use superglue for other projects, so I should be able to do good at building it. ^-^

Would it wok well on the cardstock, I don't build with foam so I'm worried it'd be to bulky
For my build I used the pepakura method (cardstock) I actually used fast drying white glue used for scrapbooking. It work really well and there was no fear of getting it on your fingers and whatever you are working on. Cleans up with a little water. And was not affected at all by resin or fiberglass. I used it on every part of my armor an had zero problems.

Remember, super glue cures by pressure, so squeeze the adhesion area to ensure a good bond with paper.

And this boys and girls is why tiny bulldog clips were invented. A relatively straight edge with plenty of pressure applied over a small area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back