Soft Parts Halo 4 & 5 Spartan Undersuit Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
All parts modeled- may add boots and codpiece, rather have them very flexible foam if possible for freedom of movement.
18897748933_d6ba05b4ec_c.jpgAll Halo 4 Undersuit Parts by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

19459513149_89dbc62aa2.jpgrear calf h4 undersuit parts by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

19025210223_b04a8b1a95.jpgh4 undersuit large upper back plate center sections by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

19504295579_10ee3331b2.jpgIMG_3806 by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

19070015033_8f38ce8347.jpgIMG_3815 by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

19023709344_9c60a55677.jpghalo 4 undersuit all printed parts by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

Lots of work has been done. Also managed to get a mannequin finished just today - it's packing tape and cling-film filled with expanding foam. Sean Bradley's tip to spray down the foam with water to speed curing helped a lot. Feet are 3/4" conduit screwed to a plywood base.

19695809561_43314cbdeb_b.jpgMe, Mannequin. His name is Roy. by Michael Vroegop, on Flickr

Patterning fabric areas, molding parts is next. Haven't settled on a material yet, leaning in the direction of something flexible.

Have some appointments later this week with local embroidery and screenprinting shops, still sorting out the hex material.
Puff paint on spandex is looking good, if the deposition can be more tightly controlled.

After looking into Spiderman Builds trying to researched raised textures, I read that Puff Paint tends to get brittle after a while, where as fusing the the silicon or latex (I can't remember) to the spandex had a much longer life.

Just something to consider.

will you release the 3d models for others?
Not right now. The undersuit parts will be available as a kit before Christmas- if everything goes to plan.
My gawd man, this is Awesome
Thanks.

I got pretty far on this before dragoncon - then hit some time crunches and switched to something a little less challenging to pull off in time- a wearable Fallout Eyebot and a revamp of some Skyrim Dragonbone armor.

Anyways, I'd last prepared most of the undersuit hard parts, and procured a mask and an arm 3d model.
Next was patterning out the undersuit-
21072988684_fe01fb9537_z.jpgUntitled21507750180_ab62b0c0a5_z.jpgUntitled

But things seemed off - the mask ended up being a little large on my body, and I haven't got a Spartan physique - I'm gangly, long-limbed. So I opted to build the undersuit over some foam muscles - sort of like a lightweight musclesuit. The patterns got ripped up and thrown away. I made some basic torso and upper arm muscle patterns and cut them from super soft foam, then sculpted them roughly to shape with scissors and careful side cuts. They were glued onto the base spandex morphsuit with Barge cement.

21669626166_e38a147cc9_z.jpgUntitled21074697103_0d063a92da_z.jpgUntitled

Much better proportions, considering the source material. So I re-taped it and started back at patterns.

21670062666_9fd5e2d8a3_c.jpgUntitled21508292258_965d5457d3_c.jpgUntitled

I've yet to solve the base hex fabric problem in a way I can accept, but I'm on test #6 or so. Underarmor parts will be molded soon, as well. More as it happens.

This is some incredible work! I'd be interested in a kit. Do you have a rough idea on cost and what parts would be included?

This is an amazing idea. If you sell kits, I think I would be interested for my own suit. Keep up the great work!

Looking great guys. I have two idea for the remainder of the undersuit (the Hexed pieces). they both involve a 3d model of those parst ( w/o hex pattern ). once they are modeled in 3d, separate the individual sections [ chest - upper back, stomache - lower back, upper arms / shoulders, lower arms / fore arms, cod, Thighs, calfs. etc. ( do this so that you can size each individual section in pepakura)
flip the normals in the 3d modeling program OR wait and flip the faces in Pepakura.

for a molded looking suit (foam, silicone, latex):
- cut and Pep or 3d print inverted parts
- put together the parts to creat your "inverted mold." of each separated body section.
- spray the insides with heavy duty adhesive
- line the "inverted mold" with loose mesh netting ( purchase at your local fabric store. I get mine from Jo-ann fabrics)
- seal inverted molds with acrylic sealer spray {let is dry}
- spread your medium (latex, silicon, foam) inside of the mold. be sure to get it into all the nooks of the netting ((let that cure))
- " you get the rest"

For a Fabric suit.
- purchase aluminum Mesh [like the one you have pictured on first page], purchase the fabric, and Puffy / 3D fabric paint. i go to Jo-Ann fabric for both.
- create fabric patterns, either in 3d program or using pepakura (there's a Tut out there make sure there is flange)
- trace patterns onto the fabric ( but do not cut them yet)
- flip the fabric over, place the aluminum mesh on top and roll / spray ( brushing takes forever)
- remove the mesh and repeat until fabric is covered. (let the paint puff up and dry)
- cut out the paterns, pieces together, and stitch

the coolest thing about this method. "IT'S DOWNLOADABLE"
i have tested thes techniques on small models but never had a proper 3d model to build an entire suit. plus i had my worries about replicating the nonhex portions of the suit. But you have that solution. if any one can point me to a 3d model of the undersuit, i would love to make a tut about peicing this together. thanks

That kit is looking great! If you were ever planning on selling a kit, I would seriously consider one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back