Halo 4 Master Chief foam build *unfinished* (with templates)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow dash

The more footage I see from the upcoming Halo 4 game, the more I become attuned to the new armor.
I really like the tankish heavy new look, I think 343 did an awesome job on the redesign of the chief's armor. So it's time to build one for myself. :D

First question: Are there any foam templates out there by now?

If that's not the case, well, i guess I have to do it myself.
I already started unfolding some files and I wanna share them with you guys.
If anybody's going to use them, let me know what you think about it.

Since Dropbox removed their public folders links for single download aren't working anymore. You can find all the files here.

Dropbox Download:
Download Mirror:
Boots: (by KingRahl)

boots.jpg
Download H4 Boots Foam Template

Shin (by Rhinoc)

shin%20improved.jpg
Download H4 Shin Foam Template

Thigh (by KingRahl)
thigh.jpg
Download H4 Thigh Foam Template

Ab Plate + Cod (by KingRahl and Rhinoc)
cod_ab.jpg
Download H4 Thigh Foam Template

Butt (by monkeyfuj)
butt.jpg
Download H4 Butt Foam Template

Torso (by monkeyfuj)
torso.jpg
Download H4 Torso Foam Template

Forearm (by KingRahl)
forearm.jpg
Download H4 Forearm Foam Template

Biceps (by L3X BLU3R1V3R)
biceps.jpg
Download H4 Biceps Foam Template

Shoulder (by monkeyfuj)
For a better version have a look at EVAkura's new shoulder template
shoulder.jpg
Download H4 shoulder Foam Template

handplate.jpg

Other links:

Helmet
Download H4 Helmet -Foam unfold
Modeled and unfolded by KingRahl
Foam unfold by McPrimus

Not recommended due to inaccuracies:

Shin
(by Rhinoc)

shin.jpg
Download H4 Shin Foam Template

Mirror

Front Cod: (by monkeyfuj) (not recommended)

Download H4 front cod
Mirror

Simplified Back Cod: (by yeinso) (not recommended)
Download H4 simplified back cod
Mirror

Last edited:
Those look really good, but it is saying that they are unavailable for download. The pages won't load.

Sweet looking foam templates.
Thank you very much, I really try to do my best. As this is my first work with foam I may not have enough experience to tell if I made too many (small) parts or too less. At least when it comes to cutting out the pieces I am at an advantage because I have a laser cutter at hand. ^^

Those look really good, but it is saying that they are unavailable for download. The pages won't load.
Does work quite well here for me, but I'll set up a mirror for you ;)

Did you end up finding the foam files?
Nope, you know where they are? :p Please tell me! :D

First attempt of building a foam piece, i started with the boots. The front piece needs some improvement, but overall I'm satisfied with the result. :)

IMG_4616.JPG

IMG_4620.JPG

IMG_4625.JPG

first time with foam? It looks great! I agree with Zaos that the glue overflowed a little bit but I mean, your edges are ridiculously clean!

Hey man, this stuff looks freakin great!! even thinking about using your boot unfold over mine.... hrmmm...

I do have some pointers though! this will make your foam files TOP NOTCH

NUMBER 1- Foamers want symmetry, and the best way to do that is unfold one half of the model (now then, something like the little top thing on the boot, thats fine to be a whole piece because its in the middle) but make all the parts for the left side, we can flip it to be the right side :)

NUMBER 2- Theres a feature not a lot of people know about, that is the "Join Adjacent Edges" feature, its under the 2D Menu. for normal pep, i use .60, for foaming i use 1.50, you'll understand what i mean when you see it.

NUMBER 3- Make the pieces as BIG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE

Thats all, just some pointers because i see a LOT of potential for perfection in your unfolds

and thanks for using my shin file! I actually released a foam ready 3d file of it, took out most of the parts an unfolder would get rid of anyway.

EDIT:
NUMBER 4, THE FORGOTTEN ONE- Go settings->other settings and set the threshold between 140-155

A little glue overflow but looks good.
Thanks!

first time with foam? It looks great! I agree with Zaos that the glue overflowed a little bit but I mean, your edges are ridiculously clean!
Yep, first time, I didn't remove the glue before taking the pics because I was in a hurry. The "clean" edges may come from the heat gun, heat kinda melts/seals the surface of the foam, the foam parts I didn't bend don't have those clean edges at all.

Good job so far, the glue should be easy enough to clean up. Thanks for putting up the templates too
Yep, shouldn't be much of a problem to remove the glue, I should use less in the future. No problem, feel free to use/edit them as you want. :)

Im keeping an eye on this! I might even start making some of it this week ;)
Do it! :D You might want to have a look at this and this too! ;)

Hey man, this stuff looks freakin great!! even thinking about using your boot unfold over mine.... hrmmm...

Wow, I suddenly feel honored! :D

I do have some pointers though! this will make your foam files TOP NOTCH

NUMBER 1- Foamers want symmetry, and the best way to do that is unfold one half of the model (now then, something like the little top thing on the boot, thats fine to be a whole piece because its in the middle) but make all the parts for the left side, we can flip it to be the right side :)

NUMBER 2- Theres a feature not a lot of people know about, that is the "Join Adjacent Edges" feature, its under the 2D Menu. for normal pep, i use .60, for foaming i use 1.50, you'll understand what i mean when you see it.

NUMBER 3- Make the pieces as BIG AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE

Thats all, just some pointers because i see a LOT of potential for perfection in your unfolds

and thanks for using my shin file! I actually released a foam ready 3d file of it, took out most of the parts an unfolder would get rid of anyway.

EDIT:
NUMBER 4, THE FORGOTTEN ONE- Go settings->other settings and set the threshold between 140-155

OMG! Thank you very much! This will make the foam pieces much more accurate and easier to build!

ad 1) I know, I've seen other templates (Reach) that have that symmetry. I personally like it better if every part is on the sheet, even though it's more work because I have to do the "same" unfolding twice. Also when a file isn't 100% symmetrical it's hard to do. But I know about the symmetric issue.

ad 2) WOW, thank you!! THAT'S AWESOME, I didn't know about that feature. It's more like a visual improvement, isn't it? A normal foamer would just ignore the gaps ;) As I mentioned, I have access to a laser cutter, now this saves some time, because I don't have to postprocess the files in Corel Draw (removing the gaps, addings straight lines), so this is very useful to me.

ad 3) Got that, big pieces! But why exactly are big pieces the best option? Is it because it's a lot more work if you use many small pieces, does it effect the final appearance of the armor-piece in a bad way if you use only small parts?
Dude, yours the only shin file for MC out there :D I had to take yours ;) But it's a really good file!
I already saw your foam-shin file, gonna head over to your thread and write something complimentary.

ad 4) I played around with the threshold, but I wasn't sure what value to use for good results.

Looking good so far, I really like how they redid his armor too. Change isn't always good but with the Chief it's awesome! And yours is going to look awesome from what I can tell this very moment! Excellent job

Looking good so far, I really like how they redid his armor too. Change isn't always good but with the Chief it's awesome! And yours is going to look awesome from what I can tell this very moment! Excellent job

Change isn't always good, you can see that very well on the new H4 helmets, most of them just look ridiculous, ugly as hell, I never changed it in H4, because there is no better helmet than the recon. :)

Wow thanks! wish i saw that earlier as i just made a chest from Halo3 haha

Huh? Would you have build a H4 chest then? or what difference would have made it? ^^

First laser-cutter test. It took about 4 seconds to cut this out. :)

foamtest1.JPG

foamtest2.JPG

foamtest4.JPG

foamtest3.JPG

Not only does it cut your foam-mats with perfectly clean and smooth edges in a short time, it's also possible to engrave anywhing you want, be it your spartan name or any really complex sign/emblem, everything is possible. Great improvement to your foam-build. ;)

The model name of the laser-cutter (but I think it's listed as Laser Engraving System) is GCC Spirit GX.

Yeah, this is really nice, i hope I can do the second boot and even more tomorrow. But I'm not ready with the scaling and measurement thing yet.

I'm currently not working on my elite build, I'm concentrating on the master chief right now ;)
Unfortunately I was a bit lazy yesterday, I didn't make it to the lab where the lasercutter is located, so the next opportunity to cut something is on Tuesday. In fact I've already prepared the elite ultra helmet, so there'll likely be an update on my elite WIP thread on tuesday. ;)
what's going on with your elite build? you should make a WIP thread. ;)

Yep, shouldn't be much of a problem to remove the glue, I should use less in the future.

Have you seen Drack's foam techniques videos?
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/37261-Foam-Technique-Tutorials

The idea is to get rid of the rubber covering the glue gun's nozzle, and use the metal surface to manually spread the glue over the seam. That you'll get no overflow at all when you attach the parts together. Works perfect, also helps conserving glue sticks :)

But why exactly are big pieces the best option?

You have to do less cutting, less gluing, you'll have less seams on the piece and the curves will be smoother (you'll have to use a heat gun when bending the foam, so that it'll keep the new shape).

The only issue is that Pepakura Designer doesn't like large non-planar surfaces so when you unfold the object, you have to be a bit tricky with how you cut and join edges together. Pieces like helmets and shoulders that have curvature in multiple directions are the most problematic ones.
Xrobots has a nice video on how to modify such existing pepakura templates, here:

But your best bet would be to just check Drack's Iron Man suit thread, he has a lot of very useful links and information gathered in a nice package there :)
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...d-on-page-1-for-foam-builds)-Update-on-helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back