Props halo 4 weapons WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok 405th i have a new weapon update for you.

DSC01495_zpse2b053be.jpg

i have started work on a halo 4 AR. so here is where i am at so far.

DSC01510_zpsa3d14879.jpg

DSC01511_zps9fee7e32.jpg

DSC01512_zpsef0b4a24.jpg

DSC01513_zpsf82ee7a4.jpg

i have a flashlight for that spot.

that is all for now Until next time...

You've probably heard this a hundred times, but what foam is that you're using to form the railgun?

it is called polystyrene foam it is a type of insulation for homes and comes in a variety of thicknesses from 1/4 inch to 3 inches and varies in price from 5 dollars all the way up to 100 dollars (extremely high quality stuff) but i use 2 inch and it costs about 15-25 dollars.

Polystyrene? Oh jesus. I'll be steering clear haha.
I have Styrophobia, it's a legitimate fear of styrofoam & polystyrene like substances, more specifically, it's the texture and the sound it makes when two pieces rub together. It just makes me freak out and feel nauseous. Look it up haha. Thanks for the information though, it's still helpful. :)

Out of curiosity, what is it that you coat your weapons with before painting?

I was just thinking that too, (excellent work on the guns btw)
Bondo could potentially eat your foam work, it's just a polyester resin mixed with talc, and may corrode or melt anything spray paint would. Although with bondo you would never see it happen, that could be perfectly fine or a disaster.
I'll do some googling for you.

When I used polystyrene to make weapons in the past, I painted on a layer of wood glue before painting and it sealed it just fine. I've also heard of people sealing their stuff with wood glue then covering their piece in fiberglass resin to add strength. My friend and I are making an energy sword too, I was thinking of sculpting the blades from polystyrene but I'm leaning towards plexiglass. Keep up the good work!

-Ryan

I was just thinking that too, (excellent work on the guns btw)
Bondo could potentially eat your foam work, it's just a polyester resin mixed with talc, and may corrode or melt anything spray paint would. Although with bondo you would never see it happen, that could be perfectly fine or a disaster.
I'll do some googling for you.

yes you are right bondo will erode a polystyrene model, as will most spray paints. but i have a table drill that i use for detailing (the equivalent of a very small cnc machine) see the last page. so i never need to use bondo.

When I used polystyrene to make weapons in the past, I painted on a layer of wood glue before painting and it sealed it just fine. I've also heard of people sealing their stuff with wood glue then covering their piece in fiberglass resin to add strength. My friend and I are making an energy sword too, I was thinking of sculpting the blades from polystyrene but I'm leaning towards plexiglass. Keep up the good work!

-Ryan

yes go with plexi for the blades (take it from someone who has already explored that option) polystyrene blades don't work well.

on another note i will post pictures of my energy sword blades soon.

But as far as sealing my model goes i coat it in acrylic paint (regular old brush-on paint) and then if i haven't achieved the color i want or if i want to add weathering i can use spray paint.

Polystyrene? Oh jesus. I'll be steering clear haha.
I have Styrophobia, it's a legitimate fear of styrofoam & polystyrene like substances, more specifically, it's the texture and the sound it makes when two pieces rub together. It just makes me freak out and feel nauseous. Look it up haha. Thanks for the information though, it's still helpful. :)

Out of curiosity, what is it that you coat your weapons with before painting?

hmm i have never heard of that before.

if polystyrene is out of the equation you can create a basic shape model using cardbord and layer eva foam over the top of it. it will give you a prop on the level or even better than a polystyrene model.

yes you are right bondo will erode a polystyrene model, as will most spray paints. but i have a table drill that i use for detailing (the equivalent of a very small cnc machine) see the last page. so i never need to use bondo.

yes go with plexi for the blades (take it from someone who has already explored that option) polystyrene blades don't work well.

on another note i will post pictures of my energy sword blades soon.

But as far as sealing my model goes i coat it in acrylic paint (regular old brush-on paint) and then if i haven't achieved the color i want or if i want to add weathering i can use spray paint.

hmm i have never heard of that before.

if polystyrene is out of the equation you can create a basic shape model using cardbord and layer eva foam over the top of it. it will give you a prop on the level or even better than a polystyrene model.

Yeah there are plenty of alternatives, regular foam works fine too.

ok here is my second sneak peak at my future project (my first one was in my armor thread)

DSC01587_zpse3daa16f.jpg

more coming soon...

I knew it was an assault rifle! :p good work!

thank you very much

OK now i have a really fast update

i have finished the grip section of the assault rifle

DSC01624_zpsdea3fd6b.jpg

and i am now starting work on the main body of the rifle (will be moving down to the garage for a while as i craft the rest of the details)

DSC01627_zps048211ec.jpg

DSC01625_zpsa88c5298.jpg

DSC01628_zps64773028.jpg

DSC01630_zpsca8cf46a.jpg
ok here is a question for you guys (and girls) i have started work on a semi long term project which i have already hinted at here.

VideoGameArt_Halo3Turret02_RenseDeBoer_zps18e45962.jpg

VideoGameArt_Halo3Turret03_RenseDeBoer_zpsec6e8af6.jpg

Thats' right i am planning on building an AIE-486 heavy machine gun and i was wondering if you guys wanted me to start a dedicated thread for it or just build it here?

hey there guys sorry for the double post but i have an update for you.

it is 90% finished

DSC01633_zpsc24b80b2.jpg

DSC01636_zpsf499a3c9.jpg

DSC01640_zpsbbfcb648.jpg

i just have some finalizing to do and it will be done!

here are some other early pictures

DSC01632_zpsb90d5bec.jpg

DSC01631_zps671263b2.jpg

i hope you have enjoyed until next time...

ok guys it has been a while, but i am certain that you will love my most recent project.

Halo-4-SniperRifle_zps3dbfc909.jpg

Halo4weapons_zps48ba81d9.jpg

oh yes I am going to build a halo 4 sniper rifle and (depending on the final product) I may do a run of casts as well. This is my most ambitious project to date and i can't wait to finish it. be ready for a few quick updates in the next 2 weeks.

Also i am hoping to have at least a rough build finished by Christmas.

Hi there, I have heard of a company that makes wooden toy guns, but the coolest thing is, the have the halo smg! and the pistol plus the main assault rifle from halo!
here are some images
you can find them by searching for SturdiGuns.com, and you will find their sight. thanks!

177591912.jpg

176119886.jpg

176119804.jpg

63727412.jpg

wait are you building that turret now or our you going to wait, because I've been working on one and I've ran into a problem the stand doesn't want to hold the weight of the gun, if you get around to starting on it let me know and i'll try and giver you some pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back