Soft Parts Halo Reach Noble 6 custom undersuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal critiques and criticism are always harsher than someone else's since you are the one going through the building process.
I have no sewing experience at all so unfortunately I can't give much advice or solutions. To me the undersuit looks amazing. If I can make any suggestion at all it would be this: have you considered using adhering panels of craft foam to the suit and then sewing your leather panels over it to create some depth? Of course it will add some weight and bulk to the suit.
What ever action you take or solutions you come up with, I am sure your end results will turn out great.

Well I think it sucks.........I'm just joking :D. It looks FANTASTIC!!!!! I wish I had the talent to build my own undersuit like this.....As far as underwhelming....Far from it in my opinion. You might consider adding a bit of bulk to certain sections. Some craft foam perhaps. Not sure how well this could be attached by sewing,,,,,,but perhaps some hot glue? I've had some success w/ this method in past costumes.

Thanks for the comments everyone,
I think I've figured out what I'm going to do. I'm not going to rebuild the bodysuit, but I with probably reinforce the seams with bias tape wherever I can to take the stress off the seams. also bonus of doing this: the seams will be less uncomfortable and scratchy.

Dirtdives I'm trying to keep the undersuit to just fabrics so i can wash it easier. I always avoid using hot glue on fabrics. I could probably make something that snaps or magnets on though.

Dirtdives and PaiganBoi Good ideas thanks!

Last edited:
OOOHHHHH.......I like that snap removal of undersuit armor pieces......going to steal that thank you very much........:D....

AW snap...
I hate them. Unfortunately there is nothing else that can quite compare to them when installed properly. They look finished, clean, they're simple to use, they don't deteriorate or bend.
But damn, installing them properly isn't easy.

First though, anyone who didn't know, There are 2 different types of snaps: Post snaps and prong snaps.
attach2.gif
upload_2017-3-17_0-51-16.png

Post snaps need a hole in the fabric and work for non-stretch fabrics and are usually considered heavy duty. Prong snaps go through the weave of the fabric, work well for stretch knits and are easier to remove if you make a mistake installing them.

Guess which ones I used?

F**k me.
Honestly I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all ass by saying all this, I just really hope nobody else makes this mistake.

I finished the leg hole seams and added elastic to my suit, the plan was to finish the snaps for the crotch and I'd be done. But because I used post snaps on a stretch fabric the spandex just stretched around the snap and didn't hold anything (on one side). The other side has so many layers of spandex that it basically doesn't stretch anymore, so that side i had to pry apart... post snaps do not like being removed. Now I'm left with tiny holes where the snaps used to be and even when I switch to prong snaps those holes will still be there.
So plan B: re-build the crotch.
let me explain. I'm going to take out the existing crotch area, and replace it with a less bulky (possibly non-stretchy) dedicated crotch piece. It'll still be snapped together in the middle. Should be pretty easy... I hope.
I have no pictures tonight because :mad: but next post everything should be together and pretty.

G'night everyone.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Takanuva

Bodysuit is done!! snaps in place, sleeves hemmed, details lined up.
IMG_0275(2).jpg IMG_0283(2).jpg
Redoing the crotch piece actually worked to my advantage, because the layers were doubled up it made the whole thing super bulky, now with only one layer I have better air flow.... we all know that's important (no one likes swamp-ass) ANYWAYS....

IMG_0296(2).jpg
Heres the inside seam of the fix, its easier to see what I did. I wanted the seam to look like it was always meant to be that way so I echo'd the shape of the back detail.
IMG_0294(2).jpg IMG_0292(2).jpg IMG_0289(2).jpg
Some contruction details.

IMG_0298(2).jpg IMG_0297(2).jpg
and the finished bodysuit.

Next up I'll be making the leggings. though I'm not sure what the time frame will be with those. I've been getting pretty busy lately.

If anyone has questions or wants more pictures on a specific part of it, let me know.

Last edited:
Wow! That looks really great!

How well do the outer arm/elbow pieces flex? I mean does it stretch well?
Just curious, stuff like that tends to make walking around difficult, especially when you have armor limiting every movement.

Anyhow, Excellent build, I now see that v2 is much better than undersuit v1. The sewn-on parts look a lot neater.
Excellent build, I hope to see more!

Wow, your undersuit looks awesome! Having an accurate looking undersuit adds so much to any suit of armor (although I have no sewing ability so I'm not really one to talk).

mblackwell1002 the elbows are made of spandex, so they're more flexible then I am, the inside elbow is the only thing that doesn't stretch and doesn't need to.
Thanks, ya I did go over all those details and make sure they lined up perfectly, I'm super happy with it now. Seeing it gets me all inspired for the leggings. Eep!

CrimsonViper97 Thank you very much! I think so too, suits look great one their own but adding a detailed undersuit is just the icing on the cake.

If I send you my measurements would you make me one? I suuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkk at sewing. I would probably need snaps in a different area though.......:whistle:

Thank you so much for doing this. The hell you are going through now will help others avoid it in the future and know what to do.

Hey everybody, no update due to Calgary Comic Expo coming up and I'm fixing up my destiny hunter cosplay.

I thought I would get some opinions though if yer feeling like it to keep the discussion going.

Should I add the famous butt detail like the in-game version or stick with the concept model. I am not scared of extra work.
and if so should I build the leggings so they go under the bodysuit or over top? I'm wondering whether the waistband of the leggings will be visible. or I could build detachable detail pieces that overlap the bodysuit and the leggings. hope that makes sense.
Or how would you all make this if you had all the sewing skills in the world?

upload_2017-4-11_23-34-46.png
upload_2017-4-11_23-35-52.png

You could prob get away with the leggings going over the body suit. It looks like all the armour that goes around the waist, cod piece and butt piece would cover that up. Also going with the in game detail would be a nice touch.

I vote for the concept mainly due to the thigh armor the details on the back of them with the two vent ports on each side look really cool! Plus it looks like a lot less sewing then the original Reach butt details, I get where your going with the detachable pieces over the leggings but my wife tried the same thing and it didn't work out so well if you where to make templates I would definitely sew them into the leggings or material you plan on using.

I...vote in-game. I'm just a fan of extra details, weather details are in...weird...spots or not. While the thigh armor vents do look cool, I still vote in-game part. When people see the infamous Halo: Reach butt, they immediately think "That's definitely an accurate set of armor" LOL...Don't take me too seriously...

....on a more serious note, do make a youtube channel. I desperately need the sewing skills for this type of thing.

vivalablake89 do you have pictures of what your wifes suit looks like?

just to throw this out there, the undersuit is already based off the concept so I can carry on making it "concept accurate" or I can Frankenstein the concept and game suits together.
Or make it concept accurate and add extra game details that are detachable if Im feeling like having that sort of attention :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back