Status
Not open for further replies.

OTSDerpy

So I'm starting out my very first Halo build and as you can see, it's of this.
halo_reach_o_d_s_t_camo_texture_by_guyver85-d73g8ja.png

latest?cb=20130818201835

As an added note, I'm using most of a "Andrew DFT" tutorials on how to build this, I will only note if the parts are completed, I need help, or if I had to manually stray from the video's tutorial to fit my body. I have most parts done, But I need to get the photos, I'll be back to document on my progress so far.

Attachments

• halo_reach_o_d_s_t_camo_texture_by_guyver85-d73g8ja.png
    halo_reach_o_d_s_t_camo_texture_by_guyver85-d73g8ja.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 3,441
  • latest?cb=20130818201835
    latest?cb=20130818201835
    299 KB · Views: 45,280
The Shoulder Pads had great detail, showed me things that developed my skill. took me the entire day to complete them, mainly because I needed to do two instead of one.

Shoulder Pads 01.jpg

Shoulder Pads: Completed.

Problems: Cut too deep on the back-side of base, luckily wasn't that far ahead. So I made a second one.

Modifications: N/A.

Nice! A fellow odst wip! Definitely subbing :D
(also I can't see the shoulder pad picture, not sure if it's me or not)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thigh Guards are also done.

FullSizeR.jpg

Modifications: I didn't add the detail in the middle strip, mainly because I'll try and put a long magnetic strip there for the holsters.

Problems: N/A.

01.JPG
The Chest: Everything was going smoothly until I came across the side-straps and the head hole.

02.JPG03.JPG
For this process I had to cut an inch on the side to allow my head some clearance to fit through. After the cutting, my head can now easily go through the hole.

04.JPG05.JPG
As for the sides, my friends mom came up with this idea and helped me draw a make-shift template out of paper to determine how much material I need to get the two-halves connected, but also allow some space for me to breath. It work, but I believe that these side were given EXTRA material. They tend to bow out to the side when pressed against something on the back and the front piece tends to go up on my neck.

06.JPG07.JPG
Seeing to fix the neck-choking problem, I added 1in to the straps. Then hearing Andrew say that I needed to add another in to the over-straps, I decided to put down 2in, since I already added 1in to the under-straps.

08.JPG09.JPG
As for the side-straps, I decided to cut a part out, but I'm still getting that bowing affect. Once everything is done, I'll come back to this and try to fix the problem.

10.jpg00.jpg
Chest Piece: For this section, I really hated this section, this cut. I had this fear that I's cut too deep or too far and screw it up. But it worked and smoothed out the jagged edges once the heat was applied.

000.jpg11.jpg
So the right is what completed chest piece and the right shows how many scrap-blocks I put in the back to make it stand out a bit more and keep the curved edges.

12.jpg
Chest and Chest Piece: Completed.

Modifications: Shoulder and Side straps.

Problems: Side-straps need some work to allow a more tighter fit. Then add sponges to allow a more sturdy fit, but will do that once everything is done.

Attachments

• 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    527.8 KB · Views: 674
ACBrotherhoodgreat job so far. One word of advice, When cutting an outside bevel, try not to "saw" the blade to cut it. That is why you are getting those ridge lines like the ones on the shoulder pads.If you aren't using a sharpener, use a fresh blade when doing those cuts. For me, I find that flipping it over and cutting down and in works best. You also have the ability of making the cut in one motion rather than sawing it back a forth. Try and use a hand sponge sander to smooth out those cuts. A 120 grit will suffice. Good luck and keep up the good work. Its going to be a fantastic build.

Okay, so I got the templates for the helmet, but I'm not working on that though, just getting everything set-up. I'm just having trouble on how to scale and print it. I have a laptop but I'm having trouble understanding how to print the pieces. My guess is that it should hook up to the printer, by cord, and then print it. Long story short I don't know how to scale and or print on pepakura 4.

ODST Shins.jpg
The shins layered effect were a bit difficult and the leveling may be off for the lowered parts. but that wont be noticeable when I paint this thing.

ODST Knee.jpg

Knee: Completed.

IMG_4028.jpg

The Ab and Butt plate: Completed.

Modifications: I slpit the ab plate into two sections because in this photo right here, you can see that it is split into two pieces.I might also need to figure out how to make that chest thing that connects to the ab plate.
IMG_3974.JPG

IMG_4159.jpg

Gauntlets: Completed.

Modifications: I cut the piece that touches the forearm in half and pushed it in to make that leveled effect, becuase if I had done it in it's full foam, then the forearm would be too tight.

Problems: Forearm piece. Hardest builds so far.

Looks good :D
For the upper ab piece, I'd say attach it to the chest piece, and then have the little ab plate on that.. I wish I could explain it better lol :p

Well, for the hardest part according to you, I think you're doing a fantastic job!! I love the detail.....is that engraved or a hot knife that you used to get the designs in?

Well, for the hardest part according to you, I think you're doing a fantastic job!! I love the detail.....is that engraved or a hot knife that you used to get the designs in?

I scored it with a crafting knife and then heated it with a...uh...heat gun.

For the upper ab piece, I'd say attach it to the chest piece, and then have the little ab plate on that
Pretty much this, but also not quite.

It's difficult to tell from anything rendered in-game, but the chest is made of layers. These are, from inner to outer:

• BDU
  • Vest
  • Trooper base, ab plate
  • ODST attachments - stomach, chest, grenades, 'collar'

So, going by the model (and what I'm doing on my scratchbuild Reach ODST), the ab plate attaches to the vest that sits under everything else. Then the stomach plate (my name for the weird little thing) gets mounted to the top of the ab plate, so it can side under the base armour when you move.

The other thing to make note of (again, hard to tell, but you can see it on some of the troopers) is that there are shoulder-pad-things (basically soft attachment points) that attach to the vest, with the shoulder armour itself then mounted to these.

It's difficult to tell from anything rendered in-game, but the chest is made of layers.

Check out Halo Landfall. It's Halo 3 pattern of ODST but it's still a fantastic reference for how all the parts of a troopers suit fit together in the real world. You can see the how the BDU, webbing and armour pieces all interact in motion which gives insight into how they're interconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back