Making my first armor

A hayabusa helmet is high on my "need to print list".

I'm new to making armor as well and was pretty terrified to get started for the same reason! After getting the scaling set in armorsmith, I then would print test rings for each armor piece. For some pieces (like the chest) I'd print half of the armor with 2 walls and 0-3% infill to test how it would fit. Some people have their armorsmith dialed in enough that they skip test ring all together.

Once you get started you'll build momentum.

A hayabusa helmet is high on my "need to print list".

I'm new to making armor as well and was pretty terrified to get started for the same reason! After getting the scaling set in armorsmith, I then would print test rings for each armor piece. For some pieces (like the chest) I'd print half of the armor with 2 walls and 0-3% infill to test how it would fit. Some people have their armorsmith dialed in enough that they skip test ring all together.

Once you get started you'll build momentum.
By ring test do you mean just like circles to see how everything prints?

By ring test do you mean just like circles to see how everything prints?
Sorry I should have specified, but you're right. If I thought a piece might be too small, like the opening for the hands on the gauntlets, I'd print that portion of armor, then scale accordingly.

Hi there!

I am brand new to making armor and have always wanted to make the hayabusa armor from halo 3. I have a 3d printer and armor smith but have been too afraid to try because i do not want mess up. If there are tips and tricks and advice please leave them in the thread
As someone in the middle of my full suit build, failure is your best friend to learning. I have failed on the most easiest mistakes, expensive mistakes, and hard to notice mistakes. Even when I finish I'll probably have a mistake or two, but that's what makes it such a great learning experience!!! Don't be afraid to mess up.

For armor Smith what I have come to learn is check your measurements at least twice before printing and save 2 different model sizes incase what you print is to small or to large. Change the variation originally in armor Smith to go both ways. It saves soooo much time :) I'm looking forward to see what you come up with!!

So I began the helmet as the first thing I am 3d printing and have already ran into my first problem. The back of the helmet will take 5 days to 7 days to print depending on how I lay it and about 2kg of plastic. Is there any way I can make have a smaller print time with less plastic?

1714477026693901533077010444617.jpg

17144770586166059561653424187694.jpg

So I began the helmet as the first thing I am 3d printing and have already ran into my first problem. The back of the helmet will take 5 days to 7 days to print depending on how I lay it and about 2kg of plastic. Is there any way I can make have a smaller print time with less plastic?
When you put it in the program (like ultimaker cura) to get the gcode file to send for printing, lower your infill rate to about 15-20% and change your support density to between 2-5% anything higher is not needed unless your print fails with a brim of 7 or higher. Should lessen it by a lot. :)

I would bump the infill percentage even lower, to about 5%. Even for finished prints you scarcely need more than 10% - if strength is an issue, increasing wall count will contribute more to overall strength.

When you put it in the program (like ultimaker cura) to get the gcode file to send for printing, lower your infill rate to about 15-20% and change your support density to between 2-5% anything higher is not needed unless your print fails with a brim of 7 or higher. Should lessen it by a lot. :)
Infill is already at 15 percent

When you put it in the program (like ultimaker cura) to get the gcode file to send for printing, lower your infill rate to about 15-20% and change your support density to between 2-5% anything higher is not needed unless your print fails with a brim of 7 or higher. Should lessen it by a lot.
I'll try putting the support density lower

I'll try putting the support density lower
It should help with the amount of filiment used. If it's still taking a lot up, try moving the piece around around the slicer, support can take up a good chunk of filiment and depending on how you place it. It can affect the smoothness, amount of filiment used, the print time, overhang issues etc. Honestly I find thing to do things vertical easiest, but also depending on the print it's not always an opening aka shins or 4 way split shoulders lol

Hi there!

I am brand new to making armor and have always wanted to make the hayabusa armor from halo 3. I have a 3d printer and armor smith but have been too afraid to try because i do not want mess up. If there are tips and tricks and advice please leave them in the thread
I highly recommend starting with smaller props and working your way up! as for the plastic it looks like silk pla. If I'm wrong please let me know however honestly i wouldnt recommend using that type of plastic since its a lot more delicate and fragile. as for getting your armor made and post processed we also have a tutorial! A Painting Guide: From Raw 3D Print to Con Ready, with Lojak Good luck and happy printing!

I highly recommend starting with smaller props and working your way up! as for the plastic it looks like silk pla. If I'm wrong please let me know however honestly i wouldnt recommend using that type of plastic since its a lot more delicate and fragile. as for getting your armor made and post processed we also have a tutorial! A Painting Guide: From Raw 3D Print to Con Ready, with Lojak Good luck and happy printing!
Yes it is silk PLA because it's all I have.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back