MJOLNIR GEN2 Custom Armor | CODENAME: WOLVERINE - 1st build / try (foam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well even the teaser looks really good! Was gonna say though the UNSC Infinity would look better in the shot. Can't wait to see the final product!
I love the Infinity, but well, the first problem is: The Infinity is super-large which makes the proper scaling more difficult... The ship you add to the photo and the photo must match each other somehow... The second problem is to find a render of any ship in the angle you would like to show it. The most renders show the ships exactly from the side or slightly from above, which means any figures in the shot need to stand higher than the ground level. The most natural way is the upper area of a canyon... And now, you have to fit the chosen ship in that canyon, which means it should not be too large... The Infinity is 5,6 km (around 18600 ft) long, 0,8 km (around 2700 ft) wide and 1 km (around 3416 ft) high. That's harder to add than one of the smaller frigates... ;)

The only "natural" way to fit the Infinity into the same picture as a Spartan would look someway like this:

infinity.png

And I did not want to just rebuild that super-nice scene of Halo 4 that is seen in the picture above...

Holy crap this is amazing. What I've done for my undersuit is I've bought a high res pattern from Gun Head Design and sent it off to a printing/sewing place where it's on spandex. But the problem is I couldn't change the color.
It is just the normal grey and black. Butttt I am sure with your Photoshopping skills and whatnot you could find a way to change the colors before you send it off to get printed. Also I got mine custom tailored and I got a lot of extra custom stuff on it. Zentai Zone is where I got it actually. But yeah that might work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap this is amazing. What I've done for my undersuit is I've bought a high res pattern from Gun Head Design and sent it off to a printing/sewing place where it's on spandex. But the problem is I couldn't change the color.
It is just the normal grey and black. Butttt I am sure with your Photoshopping skills and whatnot you could find a way to change the colors before you send it off to get printed. Also I got mine custom tailored and I got a lot of extra custom stuff on it. Zentai Zone is where I got it actually. But yeah that might work?

c0da166484004502533000c5e9261dd6.jpg
that's the undersuit that I ordered

Attachments

• c0da166484004502533000c5e9261dd6.jpg
    c0da166484004502533000c5e9261dd6.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 173
...I am sure with your Photoshopping skills and whatnot you could find a way to change the colors before you send it off to get printed.

At the moment, the plan is to build a kind of muscle suit, that follows the undersuit patterns as good as possible, paint it afterwords (for adding details and colors) and add some more detail using foam, right the way CommanderPalmer did it (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46294&page=10). But right now, it's just an idea. I will see in the future, if the muscle-suit-thing will work out properly. Your approach sounds good as well - I'm looking forward to see some photos of your finished undersuit.

At the moment, the plan is to build a kind of muscle suit, that follows the undersuit patterns as good as possible, paint it afterwords (for adding details and colors) and add some more detail using foam, right the way CommanderPalmer did it (http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46294&page=10). But right now, it's just an idea. I will see in the future, if the muscle-suit-thing will work out properly. Your approach sounds good as well - I'm looking forward to see some photos of your finished undersuit.

Yeah I plan on adding texture to it when I get it, I not sure if I'll try and add muscles though. But it's still being stitched up lol

Will this work?
Ok man, I see you really, really want the Infinity in this shot. So what...?!!!?!! :) New plan, new scribble. Let's try to look it less than Halo 4. How about this?

wolverine_hero_shot_02_test.png

I tried to use the Infinity's silhouette to simulate the angle I'd like her to enter the scene, hope this is good enough for reference. I also moved the horizon-planet a little more to the right, to get some more room at the left side of the image to have let one sun look out behind the planet. The Spartan is in there just to give us a hint, where he could stand around later... ;)

Question: Could you provide overall three renders? One with just the planetside, that means floor, mountains and the sky... One for the ship in the right angle, the whole ship seen and just in front of plain white... That would make it easy to cut it out and place it freely over the final background... And finally a new render of the Spartan, just the way it was but - like the ship - in front of plain white... That would be perfect and make my work easier / faster. :$

Sure I can I'll PM u the renders for the sake of taking up space on your thread's page. Also, didn't realize it, but it makes sense to have a white background to make it easier for selection. Didn't mean to be a terd about the infinity. Thought it would look better to have a highly detailed ship rather than one with less, and basic shapes. After all the final product is in ur hands.:cool

(Still working on the image, but...) MEANWHILE: BACK TO THE TOPIC! :)

I've started experimenting with different types of EL-wire, just to see if this stuff comes in handy with the lighting-the-armor-topic...

Foto 06.07.16, 11 46 48.jpg

The wire is just 3mm thick and performs quite nice in the dark or/and at a short distance. Not exactly the best solution for the whole armor, but it may be a nice addition at some places. We will see... I'll have to find a thicker version of those wires and check if those will be a bit brighter, otherwise LEDs will be a better option and this will mean far more work to do with wires and energy supply and some matt surface to hide the LEDs behind in order to spread the emitted light smoother...

Either way, I'll have use for the EL wires, so the buy of those wasn't useless. ;)

Something you may want to consider is small OLED screens. Pretty much paper thin, low energy consumption. You would have to buy a kit, but they are out there. I'm looking into making a working OLED display for my helmet, but that's a little ways down the road.

Something you may want to consider is small OLED screens. Pretty much paper thin, low energy consumption. You would have to buy a kit, but they are out there. I'm looking into making a working OLED display for my helmet, but that's a little ways down the road.
Managed to find a battery-driven LED-stripe - like those you can stick to the inside of your customized gaming pc, but with batteries... Wasn't expensive, so ordered it yesterday evening and will give a try next weekend. If this works, I'll avoid lots of wiring and considering how to do the energy supply - which would be nice, as I'm no electrician-guy... :) Small OLED-screens sound like a really nice idea in terms of brightness and color-adjustability, but well... I'm no electrician-guy. But anyway: Thanks for the good idea... ;)

Just look it up on YouTube, the entire process is super easy, it's just that some of the supplies get a little expensive on their own

Small Update: I've found, ordered and received some nice gloves, which I'll attach the glove armor on.
The manufacturers logos will be peeled off and / or blacked out and then they'll pretty much reflect the paint scheme I've chosen.

Foto 07.07.16, 09 57 17.jpg Foto 07.07.16, 09 57 24.jpg

I like how well they "perform" even just yet, fresh out of the box.

Design Update: Finally, this is the rendered image of the undersuit in it's color scheme...

MJOLNIR GEN2 WOLVERINE Undersuit Rendering.png

I took this as template and made a completely new drawing, to have a nice basic shape for further planning:

MJOLNIR GEN2 WOLVERINE Undersuit Basic Shapes.png

You may notice, at some areas I may have left out some lines - that's cause I focused on only the details I need to paint, build with EVA or with any other material.
Speaking of materials - this is the plan for combining different possible undersuit-solutions to my personal master-plan: ;)

MJOLNIR GEN2 WOLVERINE Undersuit Materials.png

The violet colored parts will be made out of a soft & light foamy material (like for the padding of chairs or so...), cutted down to a) the shapes of the shown undersuit parts and b) the shape of single muscle elements (mainly at the outer shoulders), wrapped and glued into some fabric and than glued and / or sewed onto the basic fabric layer. The goal is to a) form a artificial muscle system, b) get the best possible spartan shape and c) hide - where possible - some of my "body-problem-zones".

The green parts will be made of EVA foam of different thicknesses, cutted to the right shapes, heatformed, glued together and glued and / or sewed onto the basic fabric layer. Their goal is to look like - no surprise - metal or futuristic plastic material.

The grey colored areas will made of fabric, maybe different types - depending on the area where it's used. I will see what it will need. Now I think of something stretchy, maybe something with / like mesh and maybe leather. As you can tell, this will the basic part of the whole suit.

The red lines are the places where - in the 3D rendered image - some cables seem to be. I guess these are meant as energy wires and after looking over several spartan images and videos on the internet again, I stumbled upon Spartan Locke's first appearance in the Guardians teaser (if I remember correctly this video was the intro for the Master Chief Collection) again and the fact that his HUNTER armor had some illuminated wires on the undersuit. Well, at this point I got wild and decided to do a little upgrade to my customized undersuit and used the EL wires I bought this weak, in place of those "standard-wires" so I can light them up, whenever I like. Non-canon, I know. But who cares, when he feels a little like Tony Stark creating his Iron Man suit. :lol

The next step was to decide how to get into the suit and how to get out of it as fast as possible in case of an emergency-call-of-nature. :) For this the, guys of ArtemSFX where very inspirational:

MJOLNIR GEN2 WOLVERINE Undersuit Parts.png

The blue parts are - no surprise - the gloves, which will go over long sleeves (stretchy and over the hands with holes for my thumbs to prevent my skin looking out of the gap between gloves and bracers), the light blue is the complete torso with zippers on the left and right side of the "jacket" (marked red), so that I can just flap up the front and the back of the torso and lift it over my head to get out. The front will be longer so that I can put it through between the legs and mount it with some velcro right under the butt plate of the armor. This should prevent the whole thing to slide up, when I'm moving to wild or if I'm bending over. Yellow and orange are - again no surprise - trousers and shoes.

When all this has come together nicely - which I'm hoping - than it will be painted all over to a) add more details (basically every detail that is not covered by different materials) and b) push everything to my personal color scheme. Greetings to Mara (CommanderPalmer) again here, for being such an inspiration. I hope I can manage to get close to your level of painted details... And because I was just on it, I did an additional drawing for the color scheme, based on the other new images:

MJOLNIR GEN2 WOLVERINE Undersuit Color Scheme.png

And finally - thanks to my new pal SavedByGrace - here is a new 3D render of the whole suit (for the moment still without the final coloring), looking at it from different angles...

wolverine_suit_3d_render.png

Nice to see, all the different armor types come together nicely. I'm so totally pumped... :) But the next step after the lighting tests will have to be the dummy - and what can I say... It's summer, it's quite warm and I'm not looking forward wrapping me in duct tape. But well, what has to be done, has to be done...

That's it for now. See ya later, guys.

Lot's of work to do on the courtyard, over the weekend - but found time to do a plaster "positive" for my visor...

Foto 11.07.16, 07 11 39.jpg

Was my first try with that material and turned out quite well. I'll need to do some smoothing and straightening now to get a real nice and clean shape, and than will have to produce a "negative" in the next step in which I will press some heated acrylic glas. This should work nicely, if I manage to get it to the right temperature (too low = hard to get it to the right shape / to high = bubbles). We'll see if that plan will turn out as I wish... :) Otherwise, I'll do basically the same, but with a more basic shape and some filler to close the small gaps...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back