Molding Underarmor Pieces On The Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know what? I've been thinking of faster ways to make armor and just realized that the same methods of
say, smoothon products can cast molds is very similar to this idea. Along the same lines right? I remembered
this topic the other day when I came up with the idea that you could make molds using this same idea.

Now I've never tried scilicon mold-making so I don't know if that would work better.
But my idea is that you make a set of really good armor out of PEP ( without the detailing )
then brush the hot glue on.
Make 4/ 5 layers of it then remove the cardstock underneath one it's air dried.
Then you have your mold correct?
(dubed GM for glue mold)

The GM can now be used for making the same product over and over again.
Say for example: "making a helmet" - layer paper mache inside and then remove your GM from the helmet
then resin the paper mache and detail. Then repeat....

Now let's say for argument's sake the mold starts to break. Well, it's hot glue. Just get out a soldering gun and repair
it using another stick to fill in the "cracks". After all, it's not detailed so it wouldn't matter so much if it was pretty,
just as long as it was sturdy.

That could get you 2 or 3 more pulls.

Just my idea I came up with this morninig, I'll try it out later today after work.

Here's a new idea I came up with for molding my underarmor. I used 1/8th inch thick craft foam to create a master, then used silicone caulking to make a mold. I used some cheap silicone that I found at Busy Beaver for two dollars a tube. Most of the other stuff I already had (except the foam) so the whole project only cost about 17 bucks so far. I haven't decided what material I will cast the parts with, but I am very pleased wit the mold. Anyway, here's what I used and how I did it.
Templates in various formats are available at the bottom of this post.
Materials:
(15 sheets) 9 x 12 craft foam (foamies)
Paper
Card stock
(4 tubes) 100% silicone, Clear (not white)

*EDITED 05-03-09
[Do Not Use GE Silicone II. I recently used it to mold some rock climbing handholds for my son and the silicone never really cured. Two brands that I know work are White Lightning 100% silicone and DAP 100% silicone.

(About 1/4 cup) laundry bleach
(1 teaspoon) colored marking chalk
(1) disposable paint brush (bristle type, not the foam ones)
Glue for the foam. (I started with hot glue but wasn't happy with the results. After researching on the internet a little bit, I tried regular Elmers, which worked great until I tried to bend or curve the piece. For my next attempt I will be using spray adhesive )

Tools:
Respirator & safety goggles
Hobby knife
Ruler
Something non-porus to mix your silicone on
1 1\2" or 2" putty knife
Caulking gun
Ball point pen

I started with a reference picture of the lower back.
001backunderarmor1.jpg

Then using Visio, I created a template for the piece.
002backunderarmor2.jpg

This picture shows the template with numbers in each area. The numbers show how many sheets you laminate together in each section to create the details.
003backunderarmor3.jpg

Using my completed FS HD torso and the reference pics I came up with a printed size of about 19 3/4" wide by 12" high. Keep in mind some of the underarmor is covered by the torso and the cod piece. To check the scaling I printed it on some regular paper, taped the sheets together and test fit it with my torso. Trial and error wil get you where you need to be. Once you have the right size print the template on some card stock.

The next step was to create the master using the template. I started with 3 sheets of foam laid out side by side to create a mat 12" high by 27" wide. This mat will be the base layer.

Cut the patterns out of the card stock and lay them on your craft foam. Using a ball point pen, trace around each shape.
(gotta be a ballpoint or your foam will tear) I cut out each layer individually, but I think I could have gotten better results if I laminated the foam together with some spray adhesive before I cut them out.

For the quilted area in the center, you will notice the dotted lines on the pattern. Transfer the dotted lines onto the foam with your ball point pen. You will have to score the foam here to create the quilted look. I used the handle of my scissors for the scoring and found that by first wetting the scissors and then rubbing them very hard across the lines It produced a nice effect without tearing the foam.
004scissors.jpg

By joeycoz at 2009-03-08
005scissors.jpg

By joeycoz at 2009-03-08

Once all your parts are cut and scored you can start laminating them to your base sheet using the pic below as a reference. Where you see a number 0, this will be your base sheet. The rest of the numbers show how many layers are laminated together to produce raised details or reliefs. Be sure when you start gluing, that you apply glue all the way to the edge of each piece of foam. If not, the silicone will get between the layers and will ceate imperfections in your mold.
003backunderarmor3.jpg

Here's some pics of my completed foam master
006master.jpg

007master.jpg

Now for the mold!
Lay your master down on a nice flat work area.
Next you want to sart with a very thin layer of clear silicone over your entire master. This first layer should be no thicker than 1/8 of an inch thick, otherwise it may take a week or more to cure. I used a caulking gun to apply ithe silicone,
0081stcoat.jpg

then used a cheap bristle paintbrush to spread it around and to fill all the nooks & crannies. Check the entire mold for missed spots or thick areas. If the clear silicone looks white in an area, then you have it too thick. Let the first layer cure for 24 hrs.
Here's a pic of the master with the first coat.
0091stcoatcomplete.jpg

Silicone caulk usually needs air to cure, so you cannot use it to create a mold unless you very carefully built your mold in very thin layers with long cure times in between. But by mixing a catalyst with the silicone you can demold after 40 minutes to an hour. The downside to this, is that by mixing in the catalyst you also trap lots of tiny air bubbles in the silicone which will create imperfections in the surface of the mold. By applying a very thin layer first, the surface of the mold will be as good as the surface of your master. Small air bubbles in subsequent layers won't matter. So what can you add to silicone caulk to make it cure so quickly?

Normal household bleach. Add 50-60 drops of bleach to each 10.1 oz tube of silicone.
010ingredients.jpg

Now you can start thickening up your mold.
Start by measuring out the bleach into a small container. Although it's not nessasary, you can add about 1/8th of a teaspoon of marking chalk to your bleach.
011ingredients.jpg

This will help you see whether or not you are mixing properly, just keep stirring until the mix is a nice even color (I figured this out on my last batch).

I don't know if silicone fumes are bad for your lungs or eyes, but you should put on your safety gear now just in case.

Empty a tube of silicone onto your mixing board in a circular pattern leaving a "well" in the middle of the silicone.
012mixingwell.jpg

Dump your bleach/chalk mixture into the "well"

Use your putty knife to mix the bleach into the silicone. You will feel the silicone get a little stiffer while mixing, but keep mixing until you have a nice even color.

Next start layering the mixture onto your mold with the putty knife. Try not to trap any large air bubbles in the silicone while layering your mold. I mixed one tube at a time and used a total of four tubes in this step to creat a mold that was about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick. The working time of the mixture was about 10 - 15 minutes and I let each layer cure until it was firm to the touch (about 15-20 minutes)
1st application
0131stlayer.jpg

2nd application
0142ndlayer.jpg

3rd application
0153rdlayer.jpg

4th application
0164thlayer.jpg

Let the mold cure for about 40 minutes or so

The last step is to remove the mold from the master.

I had to do a little cleanup on my mold with a hobby knife after removing the master because silicone had gotten between the layers of foam . I think that by using spray adhesive as opposed to Elmers glue would prevent this.
Flipped over & removed base sheet:
017demold.jpg

Pointing at a problem area:
018demold.jpg

Cutting at the defect:
019cleanup.jpg

Once cut, Just pull away:
020cleanup.jpg

Anyway, here's some pics of the finished mold.
022completed.jpg

023completed.jpg

024completed.jpg

025completed.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you try this out, post some pics!

Here's the templates

I had some time this weekend to work on my armor and did a quick hot glue cast from my underarmor mold. One nice thing about using hot glue is that if you rush like I did, and screw up the cast, you can just melt it down and try again. (That's why I didn't paint it)
Here's some pics.
1st cast
0261stcast.jpg

Closeup, pic is a little fuzzy
0271stcastcloseup.jpg

In my FS HD torso
0281stcastwithhdtorso.jpg

0291stcastwithhdtorso.jpg

When I started, I tried to use a glue gun to fill the mold but that was taking way too long, so instead I used my heat gun to melt the glue. Next time I'll follow the advice in AoBfrost's tutorial and melt them down in a pan on a portable electric stove because it took forever to melt the glue and my impatience shows in the finished cast.

I have also scrapped my original master and made a new one. On the second one I switched to spray adhesive for the foam. This should keep the silicone from getting in between the layers, just spray both surfaces and let dry. Then press them together for an instant bond.
Also I laminated the foam together before I cut out the parts. This produced a much cleaner looking edge than the first time where I cut each layer individually.

As far as making the actual mold, I was very pleased with the cured strength and the level of detail of my first attempt. Next I want to try to thin the silicone to a pourable conistancy with either some xylene or some mineral spirits.

JoeyCoz said:
I had some time this weekend to work on my armor and did a quick hot glue cast from my underarmor mold. One nice thing about using hot glue is that if you rush like I did, and screw up the cast, you can just melt it down and try again. (That's why I didn't paint it)
Here's some pics.
1st cast
0261stcast.jpg

In my FS HD torso
0291stcastwithhdtorso.jpg
Very nice work on the molding, as always! Have you considered mass-producing this for the other members?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ral Partha said:
Very nice work on the molding, as always! Have you considered mass-producing this for the other members?

Sorry but I just do not have the time. The best I can do is show you step by step what I'm doing and share as much information as possible. Also this part was scaled for me and I'm 6'-5". It may be a little big on most people.

JoeyCoz said:
Sorry but I just do not have the time. The best I can do is show you step by step what I'm doing and share as much information as possible. Also this part was scaled for me and I'm 6'-5". It may be a little big on most people.

You are a genius for making this, definately going to use this. Is the glue cmfortable to wear?

:not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: :not worthy: The Seven Bowing Monks Of Bungie are here!!! :p Great Job! :D

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
You are a genius for making this, definately going to use this. Is the glue cmfortable to wear?

I have not really had an oppurtunity to actually wear it as my armor is only about 20% complete and this is the only work I have done on my underarmor. But it should be just fine for the lower back and abs.

Nice work man ill have to try this too. As for the spray glue dont use an automotive glue it will kinda melt the foam. at craft stores they sell a foam glue called "hold the foam" that works really well.

i have a ton of black glue sticks im going to try this on the thigh pieces and maybe the stomach on my next suit

that is brilliant. have you thought of instead of using hot glue in the mold, brushing in some soft expanding foam which would produce the same effect but remain flexible and more comfortable to wear?

Okay so I am very interested in Halo Armor. So first off if I had to pick ANY piece of armor I would want a helmet. Does anyone know which helmet is easiest to make? Or does anyone know where I can puchase a helmet or helmet mold? I think I may be more interested in making my own though. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back