ODSK..........?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update: Finished up the butt plate but only got 1 thigh in......sorry, slow night.

I have so much left to do......Daughter started sealing everything in preparation to paint it. Question: If I'm painting w/ a light color, pink in this case, will it darken due to the color of the foam? I know in normal painting that is the case and a lighter undercoat is necessary.....but is it the same in this instant? The only colors I've ever used were darker ones and the lighter was highlights.....never a primary.

Now as far as my son's suit is concerned.......it will be an act of God if I can get it done in time....not to mention my own......tick tock....tick tock.

I'm not too sure myself. I'm sure if you do a primer coat and then a couple of coats of the pink it should turn out fine.
I made some saiyan armour last year for my son's Halloween costume and I had white trim on it. I went through the same process. I sprayed a gray primer coat and did maybe 3 coats of white acrylic paint. It came out very white with no hint of darkening.

NO! Don't do primer! It ruins the foam!! I did that once and it made the whole thing crack. make sure to buy some Acrylic spray paint and use that for painting over a plasti-dip coat. some paint that I use is:
RUST-OLEUM
PAINTER's Touch
2x
ULTRACOVER

The logo looks just like that^
The paint it flexible and looks great, just be sure to do a few coats.

looks great, man! I look forward to more progress! I actually hope you do another ODSK emblem on there just to see the papeesheewooshness of it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
NO! Don't do primer! It ruins the foam!! I did that once and it made the whole thing crack. make sure to buy some Acrylic spray paint and use that for painting over a plasti-dip coat.

I guess I was lucky then.... I sealed the foam with Plasti dip (did a terrible job too. there were runs and bubbles all over it. :confused:) Did a primer coat and then paint and a clear coat. All that with no cracking. There was a little bit of chipping cuz my boy wore it at school for the class Halloween party and scraped along the walls and what not.

I guess I was lucky then.... I sealed the foam with Plasti dip (did a terrible job too. there were runs and bubbles all over it. :confused:) Did a primer coat and then paint and a clear coat. All that with no cracking. There was a little bit of chipping cuz my boy wore it at school for the class Halloween party and scraped along the walls and what not.
What happened to me was the primer was hardened and made a hard shell over a soft surface. I guess it just depends on the brand.

It took about a week for me, but afterwards tiny cracks started to appear...not good. eventually, the whole thing started to crack and peel up the foam surface, ruining the part.

that's just what happened to me...*Advertiser guy voice* Results may vary.

:D :D

NO! Don't do primer! It ruins the foam!! I did that once and it made the whole thing crack. make sure to buy some Acrylic spray paint and use that

looks great, man! I look forward to more progress! I actually hope you do another ODSK emblem on there just to see the papeesheewooshness of it. :D

Not sure about another ODSK logo, as the next one would be for my son.......don't think he would appreciate that......maybe a regular ODST one.....Thanks for the painting tip. No primer. I have tried plasta dip spray but it came out bumpie......I have the paintable version.....Going to go give that a try......Brain Flash!!!! PD come in white as well!!!!! Why didn't I think of that sooner!!!! Too wrapped up in other issues.......Life sucks sometimes........only sometimes. And BTW.....the "package" is in route.....;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good. Cuz I always wanted a rooster. Not that it has to do with anything at all...:D

Well, yeah! do an ODST emblem!! OR maybe buck's H5 emblem...But I don't think Irving would really get the significance...

isn't his logo just his name?........kind of boring.....

Looks awesome I like how worked in the textured side. Do the DFT templates specify the textured pieces. I've just seen a few odst builds incorporate this. Or is it just an personal artistic touch? Either way looks great especially with it being real subtle like that. I def have some catching up to do with you and Jme with their family fireteam stuff

It's a personal touch.....I always thought of using the back side of the foam but not in large sections that I have seen....theses little sections were just perfect and they still allowed me to make the detail cuts which show up when heated.

Weekend Update:

Another eventful weekend......Wifey drop a bomb on me saying she is planing on having a party for our niece and her new husband right after they get married.....its kind of a thing where the family and friends make 7 of these meals where we honor the new couple......so she orders a 30x10 tent for me to assemble and put in to the back yard..... Problem is we have a 9+ foot diameter hole of dirt from the previous owners above ground pool. Living here over 10 years and never did anything with it and now I'm forced to fill the dam thing in....So after 3 trips to Home Depot, over 1 ton of cement mix w/ an electric mixer, 2 rain (Storms really) delays which drenched myself, the wife and son......managed to finish the hole, and get the mixer back to HD in time before they closed. I even had enough time to finish the 2nd thigh piece!!!

That's it you say? Just 1 piece of armor for the whole weekend? But wait.....what is that hiding behind the thigh pieces? is it?.......Yes, it is!!!!

The Gauntlets!!

Sweet little pieces that fit perfectly. Next up will be the knee and shins.....home stretch.......

I'm at the point where I'm formulating where straps and buckles go. Some stuff is going to go on after painting like the over the shoulder straps.....I even pick up a few pointers from Cosplay Melee.....I made a spinal piece to attach from the back to the butt plate (Sorry No pic) by gluing 2 of the EVA edge pieces back to back so that the puzzle pieces face outward.....Looked cool when I watched it on TV so....I took the idea and it looks pretty good on. I've also took the idea of using thumbtacks as rivets when attaching the straps to the armor. I never did so before but again...it looked cool on TV and it definitely fits the style I'm going for.

Now someone please pass me 2 Aleves as my body is aching from carrying all that cement.......Thank you...I'll take the scotch chaser now.

IMG_0219.JPG

These pieces here just bevel cuts? If so did you start with cutting the the outer bevels then cut out the middle section? Overall I think the came out awesome.

Weekend Update:

Another eventful weekend......Wifey drop a bomb on me saying she is planing on having a party for our niece and her new husband right after they get married.....its kind of a thing where the family and friends make 7 of these meals where we honor the new couple......so she orders a 30x10 tent for me to assemble and put in to the back yard..... Problem is we have a 9+ foot diameter hole of dirt from the previous owners above ground pool. Living here over 10 years and never did anything with it and now I'm forced to fill the dam thing in....So after 3 trips to Home Depot, over 1 ton of cement mix w/ an electric mixer, 2 rain (Storms really) delays which drenched myself, the wife and son......managed to finish the hole, and get the mixer back to HD in time before they closed. I even had enough time to finish the 2nd thigh piece!!!

That's it you say? Just 1 piece of armor for the whole weekend? But wait.....what is that hiding behind the thigh pieces? is it?.......Yes, it is!!!!

The Gauntlets!!

Sweet little pieces that fit perfectly. Next up will be the knee and shins.....home stretch.......

I'm at the point where I'm formulating where straps and buckles go. Some stuff is going to go on after painting like the over the shoulder straps.....I even pick up a few pointers from Cosplay Melee.....I made a spinal piece to attach from the back to the butt plate (Sorry No pic) by gluing 2 of the EVA edge pieces back to back so that the puzzle pieces face outward.....Looked cool when I watched it on TV so....I took the idea and it looks pretty good on. I've also took the idea of using thumbtacks as rivets when attaching the straps to the armor. I never did so before but again...it looked cool on TV and it definitely fits the style I'm going for.

Now someone please pass me 2 Aleves as my body is aching from carrying all that cement.......Thank you...I'll take the scotch chaser now.
And a wise crow once said.... make this one a double

View attachment 243370
These pieces here just bevel cuts? If so did you start with cutting the the outer bevels then cut out the middle section? Overall I think the came out awesome.

Yes it a bevel cut but not through the whole piece.....only about half, then I cut the midsection out. Took that middle section and reversed it and cut that in half.....Andrew DFT has a whole process and videos to instruct. Very informative in a very rough and basic method. There are things that can be done to improve the overall pieces, but that comes w/ skill and experience. Overall I would recommend people, noobs, to at least see his videos and judge for themselves.

You def have a steady hand and an eye for even straight cuts.

A nice sharp knife and a metal ruler helps along with his impressive skillz. (y)

Thank you. It is always appreciated when ones skills are noticed.....(Said in a low voice to the side) Dam it, they're on to me.....should have kept the ruler out of the picture.

Well getting down to the wire. I have 11 days till con......good thing I have all of the ODSK armor built!!!!!

I'm in the middle of getting all the straps glued in place and then it's off to the shed for the paint job. Still have to get the visor finished and the Hello Kitty ears/bow on the top of the helmet but that should take all of a few hours.........much less than it took to build her prop Magnum!!!

This took me about 4 hrs to build......I'm not 100% happy w/ it but for the time being, It will be good enough. The only reason I have this now is because I ran out of elastic strapping...which sucked because all I needed was 2 more for the thigh pieces and 2 for the shoulder.......about 2 feet in length in total......but it being Memorial Day Weekend.....everything was closed. Regardless.....she is looking bad-ass......even w/ her goofy looking grin.

I'm thinking of attaching an actual holster to the thigh piece.....I know that magnets would hold this on, it being so light in weight....I just don't want her to loose it after bumping in to someone........BTW credit for the magnum goes to Andrew DFT for the templates....and the suit as well........I really enjoined watching his tutorials.....I just employed my own techniques at some points...which is what any one should do.....it's what gives each build a different "flavor" rather than it looking like it came off an assembly line.

Home stretch baby......finish line is in sight!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back