Sandbagger's Iron Man builds - Now in STEEL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O_O
Damn, I can't believe. It looks so real. T_T
I think the foam inner-plates for the elbow joint should work better :)

Bad day today. Last of my four days rostered off shift and I've had stuff-all time in the shed.

Today, total brain fart. I think I'm burnt out. I've been standing in my shed at the work bench for two hours trying to brainstorm a series of problems/challenges and have walked away without a single solution.

There's been more than once I've felt like throwing my hands up in the air and giving up on this whole thing. A great project can be so let down by one or two parts. Striving for perfection in looks and functionality is doing my head in.

Just a bleat for a change. Don't try these things at home kids... they're not easy.

I have been following your work for quite some time now and I have to beg for you not to give up... Making a full suit of armor out of actual steel is incredible and the finished product will be looked upon for inspiration. I personally don't have this skill level(I wish I did) but keep it going!!! :thumbsup

Don't despair, man. Your build is far and away the single most amount of heart and effort I've seen anyone put into a project on here.
You've thought your way past so many other problems with this, the solution will come.
Taking a break can be a good thing, I've found my brain sometimes thinks on problems best when I'm not consciously staring at it.
You'll get to the end and realize all the setbacks and wrong turns made the journey far more interesting and fulfilling than if everything had dropped into your lap ready to go.
My TARDIS took about 2 years, and along the way I had plenty of screw-ups and things I didn't think I'd find a solution to.

Dude your IRON MAN!!! are going to let a problem like tis stop u???
I'm shore you'll figure it out in the end just keep trying;)

Baz has been at it for 3.5 years now and he's faced several "crap what the heck now" moments in the past forcing him to rethink the situation.
He's always overcome them.
I've no doubt this won't be any different. Considering the reasons behind the Iron Man project, he won't allow himself to walk away from it.

But a time-out may be in order. :)
PS : in the off chance the issues are electrical/electronical, drop me a line and I'll try to help as well as I can.

Thanks guys. I thought I'd crack on with some other bits so at least I feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Faceplate Camera. A little panel-beating between the eyes, a backfill and primed the edge of the camera with a toothpick under a magnifying glass. Once the paint goes on the hole will be a snug fit for the camera. With a gold paint job and some gold film over the camera lens it should be pretty good.

jb46JaP.jpg

Ug8zY0O.jpg

Shoulder bell. First layer of bog and primer filler. Getting pretty good at this panel beating gig.

FaadkwE.jpg

Not happy with my aluminium gauntlets. They are just too bulky and hard to get on and off. More prototyping in cardboard to improve finger dexterity. I'm scratch-building these because all the pep files that look great need too much adjusting anyway to fit my very broad, flat hands. Once I'm happy I'll make them out of steel sheet as per the rest of the suit. Instead of whipper-snipper cord on the outside I'll be using bike cable on the inside.

6X34UCz.jpg

HOS2VHc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I pop on here to check out the progress, I'm impressed to see how far you've come. Very nice work as always, there's no doubt in my mind you'll be able to overcome any snags. Keep it up!

^^^ Cheers guys.

Update:

Re-designing fingers in steel this time.

For the curved underside of the fingers, rather than try to beat the steel into a curve over a round bar, I found a thick walled pipe to make a die to squish the plate into shape with the round bar.

HaLcCwC.jpg

Pressing the three together in the vice.

1ZUyFiT.jpg

Presto!

GG4Ozhj.jpg

Using the curved bit just made and adding some flats and angles, I welded up a finger as one piece.

i7tRuq7.jpg

Finger joints marked for cutting.

HVu1lC7.jpg

dAX3b5x.jpg

Knuckle pivot welded in.

VKopvxi.jpg

And now I know that the squashing stuff to make new parts works, gunna use that idea on my new suit, hehe, thank you sir!

And now I know that the squashing stuff to make new parts works, gunna use that idea on my new suit, hehe, thank you sir!

Metalworking is all about squashing and stretching!

Sandbagger, I can't wait to see how this set of hands turns out. Are you redoing the entire hand, or just the fingers?

Metalworking is all about squashing and stretching!

Sandbagger, I can't wait to see how this set of hands turns out. Are you redoing the entire hand, or just the fingers?

I have had a brainstorm about doing the whole hand again, but this time the palm can flex slightly, enabling me to close my fist a bit more and possibly get a couple more fingers to touch the thumb. At least I'll be able to pick up a can of beer.

... At least I'll be able to pick up a can of beer.

BWAHAHA .... the man's got his priorities straight. :lol Priceless.
But seriously, I didn't think you'd go that route with the gloves/fingers. I had suspected you'd try the "halo-type" fingers on a black flexible glove - approach.
You certainly didn't take the easy way out. Well done !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back