Slicing and cutting 3D models is NOT hard. In case of issues : read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaween

I see this kind of questions pretty much, even from seasoned prop makers who just bought that brand new 3D machine and now are wondering HOW THE HECK they can fit that prop on that small printbed of theirs. :D

An excellent, easy to follow guide on how to cut pieces using Netfab FREE :

which is a pretty hands-on scenario.

which explains what you can do with it with a little out-of-the-box thinking.

NetFab can be got here :

Try Autodesk® Netfabb® Premium software now

They USED to have a sepperate free version. These days, you download the full Premium version for a limited 30 days trial, which will revert into the BASIC/FREE version after that period.

There's shitload of other software out there which can do the very same thing. Some people will want to use Meshmixer, Blender, ect ect. But I personally prefer the pretty visual no-nonsense-clean-approach Netfab offers.

If you'd still be dumbfounded after this, just ask your questions here. Slicing and cutting is really the first thing you should be able to do yourself if you want to have any fun with 3D printing. But do yourself and us all a favor : when you get the hang of it, don't stop there. It would be a wasted opportunity. Talk to the guys here who're into modelling and prop creating using 3D printed material : I've found them to be an amazingly open, friendly bunch of smart people, with the exception of the slightly awkward moron known as ...

Yours Truly,
Kaween

Silly question for you kaween I think I have missed it. I have the older version of Netfab on one computer which is the version you are talking about above. But on my other computer I have the new version of it. I know I am missing something but I cannot get the new version to cut models. Its disabled. Do you happen to know what I may be missing here. Getting tired of moving files from one computer to the other. The computer I have the old version on is dying the slow death and is a desktop and the new computer has the new version and of course I am using it to run the printer on and has my copy of simplify 3d on it.

Silly question for you kaween I think I have missed it. I have the older version of Netfab on one computer which is the version you are talking about above. But on my other computer I have the new version of it. I know I am missing something but I cannot get the new version to cut models. Its disabled. Do you happen to know what I may be missing here. Getting tired of moving files from one computer to the other. The computer I have the old version on is dying the slow death and is a desktop and the new computer has the new version and of course I am using it to run the printer on and has my copy of simplify 3d on it.
yes, the new version of Netfabb can cut models, there is a tool called "free cut" on the top right-hand corner of the screen. click the icon, and you will see a tab pull up for free cut. on the top of the new window/frame, there's an option to switch to "plane cut" mode.
hope this helps.

First thing.... is that the chimera armadillo from hunterxhunter? Ok, got that out....

I've been trying to make a 50 slice mkvi helmet, sadly I can't get my head out enough to get past the first plane. I've tried blender, freecad, and tinkercad to no avail.. also, I've searched youtube, google, and the forums here, but my soul gets crushed when 3d printable is the subject. Really wish i had a 3d printer, but wishing isnt helping me. Did I miss a Stickey?

I just want to print the layers on regular paper and transfer those to foamboard or cardboard.

Respectfully,
Jason

Last edited:
yes, the new version of Netfabb can cut models, there is a tool called "free cut" on the top right-hand corner of the screen. click the icon, and you will see a tab pull up for free cut. on the top of the new window/frame, there's an option to switch to "plane cut" mode.
hope this helps.
yup it did found it. Sorry I am a bit slow on the get back here. More like ice age slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back