Soft Parts Underarmor? I think so!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlacRoseImmortal

I was just thinking about my underarmor and the lack of seeing something that was "In-Game" acurate. I remember reading JoeyCozs' hot glue method of molding and was thinking that If I bought a simple base all black undersuit and molded the pieces that are visible to "in-Game" acuracy with hot glue and stitched them onto the undersuit it would make for a fairly simple, cheap, and acurate Underarmor. If you guys dont have any idea what I'm talking about think of, like,....:

undersuit.jpg

As an example of a plain undersuit.

After careful stitching with needle and thread, you can sew on the hot glue molded armor into its correct spots (you CAN sew through got glue, BTW)

undersuit1.jpg

Into these and whatever else underarmor areas that are visible.

So after you take off your armor all you have to do is slip out of one underarmor piece. To get armor over the slight buldgy-ness of the hot glue molded pieces just warp the undersuit abit to fit it in/out. It could work because hot glue is bendable (to a certain extent)....

Sorry if this has been posted and discussed before, It was just a quick thought and would have left me if I didnt write it down lol.

After many bad things involving Velcro, i no longer trust it lol. And Sewing is a permanent deal. I would like to eventually go to a Con and not constantly worry about my velcroed pieces falling off and getting lost :D

BlacRoseImmortal said:
After many bad things involving Velcro, i no longer trust it lol. And Sewing is a permanent deal. I would like to eventually go to a Con and not constantly worry about my velcroed pieces falling off and getting lost :D

i too have been raped by velcro. we should form a support group...

but i was thinking along the same lines about the underarmor pieces. since chances are you'll get to that point first let me know how it goes!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so far no negative feedback on this idea, so its a GO! YAY! KELLY WINS!!!!!

oh Mag, I found that pic on the first page of google images, kwyword "undersuit", these suits seems to be a big thing in the UK, Im gonna throw down 100 smackeroos or so to get me one to test my underarmor theory :]

@ tenacious: "Shh, mama knows child, mama knows" *hold in a hug and pets head for comfort* That mean ol' velcro cant get to you anymore.

Thank ya. Yay, I needed this.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
oh Mag, I found that pic on the first page of google images, kwyword "undersuit", these suits seems to be a big thing in the UK, Im gonna throw down 100 smackeroos or so to get me one to test my underarmor theory :]
Hold that thought...

Look here as well:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/4...-Undersuit.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/4...-Undersuit.aspx

I know they aren't as thick of material, but they are less expensive, and look to be perhaps lighter in weight. Just FYI for ya, but I'd compare somemore before you buy.

Ive got alot of time on my hands to look around before making a decission, I dont get any money till tomarrow lol. DAMN MY WOMANLY SPENDING HABITS!

Hot glue bends abit, so you can manouver it under the armor to get it on/take it off, and the midsection piece would have to be removeable, i guess, so the zipper goes all the way up/down.

What i was thinking with the misection piece would be have it split along the zipper line on the undersuit and use ....uh....snappy-things (i dont knwo what their called) on the cut line to get it on and off easily

Kinda like this:
hrefhsf.jpg

Yes/No?

I'm fairly convinced this will work perfectly but I have too many projects goin on at the moment:

H2 Sniper Rifle, Self Mannequin (almost done), etc.

I WILL get started on this experiment within the next 2 months though, since I think I'm gonna take this coming semester off to work and build. Ill revive this thread with my underarmor progress...

If anyone takes up this build, though, let me know how it comes along.

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Hmm. My first thought for attaching the molded parts was to fully face the parts with velcro, as opposed to a couple of strips. I'll have to rethink that. I like the idea of sewing them on but, I cannot (or don't want to ) sew. If there is a dependable fabric adhesive out there, you could try this: After you have filled your mold, add a layer of some porous fabric to the backside before the casting medium sets up or cools off. Then you could use adhesive to bind the fabric backed armor to the undersuit

BlacRoseImmortal said:
I was just thinking about my underarmor and the lack of seeing something that was "In-Game" acurate.
I've been working on some underarmor pep files, but unfortunatly, the only 3D prog I have had time to learn was SketchUp, and when I export the files to pepakura, it has alot of unwanted open edges. Here's a link to my thread on that subject
My 3D to Pepakura woes
And another showing my lower back underarmor
Lower Back Underarmor
This part was delibratley made long at the top and bottom to tuck under the torso and pelvis armor

BlacRoseImmortal said:
Hot glue bends abit, so you can manouver it under the armor to get it on/take it off, and the midsection piece would have to be removeable, i guess, so the zipper goes all the way up/down.

What i was thinking with the misection piece would be have it split along the zipper line on the undersuit and use ....uh....snappy-things (i dont knwo what their called) on the cut line to get it on and off easily

Kinda like this:
hrefhsf.jpg

Yes/No?
Maybe. What I found out from my larger scale test that it does bend on one axis pretty well, but if you try to bend it on two axis at the same time, it would be uncomfortable at best. At worst it may tear away from your undersuit.(think of a knee joint, where the underarmor would be wrapped around the knee. Standing stiff legged it would be fine, but when you bend your knee...)
When I get to my underarmor I will probably use silicone or latex or polyurethane. That's why I came up with the idea to add a fabric backing to the part. That should help to attach it. Also those materials have the ability to strech & compress a bit, which hot glue doesn't.
BlacRoseImmortal said:
I'm fairly convinced this will work perfectly but I have too many projects goin on at the moment:

H2 Sniper Rifle, Self Mannequin (almost done), etc.

I WILL get started on this experiment within the next 2 months though, since I think I'm gonna take this coming semester off to work and build. Ill revive this thread with my underarmor progress...

If anyone takes up this build, though, let me know how it comes along.
I can't wait to see someone do this. Go BRI!

Well Blackrose, you have officially made up my mind on my undersuit problem. This idea is definitely alot cheaper and more practical than going with a 2-piece suit (ex: BDU pants + underarmor shirt). :not worthy:

Price Check Although this company is in the UK, we Yankees don't have to pay tax!!!

Ok, last night while I was sleeping (yes, I even dream about Halo and building armor in my sleep) I was thinking that maybe there is a better alternative to use than hot glue...

Maybe make a pep mold and then resin it so its a solid piece. then makeing a FLEXABLE plastic mix and pouring it onto the mold....

It would make for a more flexable, thus longer lasting, underarmor.

Kinda like what JoeyCoz said, LMAO.

Maybe. What I found out from my larger scale test that it does bend on one axis pretty well, but if you try to bend it on two axis at the same time, it would be uncomfortable at best. At worst it may tear away from your undersuit.(think of a knee joint, where the underarmor would be wrapped around the knee. Standing stiff legged it would be fine, but when you bend your knee...)

I didn't think of this^ happening, partly because I have a back problem and I CANT bend even if I wanted too.... To sit or somehting i have to use my arms an legs to manouver my ass into a seat, its pathetic. Thats what I get for working at UPS as a package loader for 3 massive trucks during xmas season....

Thanks buddy! :D

it might work really well if you made it latex. and and if you want to give it a harder look or something, cut styrene sheeting to cover the flat big areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back