W.I.P. Halo Reach Noble 6 Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current Status....

IMG_20170302_205359475.jpg

So as I was Running some cleaning filament through my printer a piece got stuck. Ironic right? Stupid me thought "oh I'll just push that down and then run more filament through it" WRONG! So for those of you that didn't know filament isn't very strong and that feeling tube that goes down is pretty long and narrow. Narrower and longer than most sturdy objects I have in my tool kit to solve this issue. This realization lead me to reference A (See above) and now a very lengthy dissasembly and re-assembly. As of right now I am re-assembled and starting another print. Here's to hoping I don't have too many further issues.

Vi Out.

Printing these out like they're going out of style!

So I am trying to Commando Shoulder again this time upside down so it has a better base as well as without the support brim because that's ridiculous for such a tall structure. This time I have scaled up the size at a W, D, H of 211mm, 90mm, and 240mm Respectively. So far I really like the height but itll be easier to show you guys once I post them side by side.
IMG_20170303_063524543.jpg

Here is how it is coming along so far. Sorry for the blurry image but everything is moving! You can see here that there are a few loose threads and this is because it had not support to stick onto, fortunately the build continued without issue.
IMG_20170303_173142862.jpg

Potato quality but you can see again that I am still getting those cracks and missing seams. This time the print is in standard quality which I had hoped would have solved that issue from the last print but it looks as if the model is imbedded with those issues and it isn't something I can fix off the bat. I did look through the layers view in Cura but I did not see anything outstanding that might cause this. Maybe once Nemesis2500, and MBlackwell1002, are done with their project I can kindly ask them to recreate this one in such high detail that it looks correct. I got this print off of another website not the 405th so fear not you won't run into this unless you go looking like I did.
IMG_20170303_173527726_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

This still has a few more hours to print so I am still deciding on my next piece. I don't have any Acetone yet so I can't really put pieces together yet. Those will come soon. I may take a break from printing my reach build and print a set of spare parts for my 3D printer to have on hand just in case something breaks. That's all for now guys!

Vi Out.

Last edited:
Two Updates What What!

So my Commando shoulder finally finished printing. I am really happy with the results. It still has its cracks in the seams and a few areas to touch up that didn't have support so they just kinda made lines but those should be simple to touch up. I'll get some nice fine sandpaper and go over this to smooth it out but otherwise I am satisfied with this print. Just need to figure out how to fill in those gaps and i'll be good. A simple epoxy or glue should do the trick.

Here's the print fresh off the bed and side by side with the first one. Still willing to give away my first attempt if anyone is interested.

IMG_20170303_233342177.jpg

That's all for today. I'll get back with you guys in a few days. I don't know what I am going to print next, Probably the Kneepads from Nemesis or attempt the EVA Shoulder again but we'll see.

Vi Out.

I think my dad uses bondo to fill in his prints, and then sanding, the end result is pretty nice. Looks amazing so far!

Simple Update. I decided to take a minute to print some spare printer parts before anything broke. After disassembling my print head and seeing how many parts of it are 3D Printed I realized I should do it sooner rather than later.

I have put a hold on any Halo Parts for a few days because I only have a Black ABS filament and I don't like it as much as I did they Gray Gizmo Filament. All the print issues printed before were with the black filament.

Here's a picture!
IMG_20170304_223720563.jpg

That's all for now guys!

Vi Out.

That shoulder is looking great, well done! Always wanted to see a 3D-printed Spartan III, looking forward to seeing the final product!

That shoulder is looking great, well done! Always wanted to see a 3D-printed Spartan III, looking forward to seeing the final product!

Hopefully sometime soon. Prints are coming along quite nicely though I am having to print most things twice it seems due to improper scaling. Currently working on the left Bicep again in larger scale and we'll see how it goes. Fortunately if i get it correct the right Bicep should be the same proportions. Current print is taking 41 hours and should be finished sometime tomorrow while I'm at work lol

Viridiana Sovari, nemesis2500 has some High-resolution armor parts that would be much smoother than the in-game ones. they are very detailed as well. Use those and you will be very pleased. they are very high-quality, but will need some add-ons that I can design for you when you need them.
Mblackwell and Vi,

where did you find the files? are you using the models from Ermac loaded in the armory? just curious as to where the high resolution files are? im planning on doing the same thing here that you are doing Vi but i cant seem to download the files. im wondering if its because the site is still under construction? great progress thus far! i like the look of it. Also if you get a chance find some elmers glue sticks to get the prints to stick to the be better. it comes in the orange and white tubes and the glue itself looks purple but when it dries its clear... ive never had my prints pull off of it. apply it before you start and viola! should be good!

good luck!

Private Jenkins, Nemesis and I modeled the armor parts. He did most of the parts, I did the shoulders; he did all the rest.
They've been posted in a link to his OneDrive folder on the first page of this thread.

Since I've been gone!!! mblackwell1002 and Nemesis2500, Thank you once again for such High Quality models.

I've been doing a lot of printing since I've been away my poor Taz has been running almost non-stop.

IMG_20170308_064806145.jpg

The first left Bicep I scaled and printed. I have having quite the tough time scaling things correctly the first time and things tend to be a lot of trial and error. As you'll see with this next side view I am still getting quite a few gaps in my print as it gets higher up and away from the bed. Since my next print is doing the same thing and not the same brand of ABS I don't believe that the filament is the issue. Right now I am looking into Temperature of the overall space and considering getting an enclosure for the area and printing at a slower speed which is a bummer.
IMG_20170308_064811644.jpg

Side view to show the cracks above ^^^

As far as print speed being a bummer goes it takes a really long time for these to print and because of that I can only monitor it during portions of the print. This next one which is my second attempt at scaling the Left Bicep was reported by Cura (to include Build Supports) as 41 Hours which should have ended it sometime around 0900 this morning Local. I came home today 5 hours later to find it still printing :( I was looking forward to pulling it off the bed already and try it on.

received_1452501031460922.jpg

Once again a whole lot of gaps in the print. This is fixable with Bondo of course as RedHeadWolf mentioned above but still kind of upsetting that it didn't come out perfectly. I am grateful that even with this increased spacing the printer somehow still manages to move on and continue to print properly.

If this scales correctly I will be copying the scale to the right Bicep and printing that one next!

That's all for now guys and thank you for your added input!

Vi Out.

Attachments

• IMG_20170303_173527726_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20170303_173527726_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    498.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20170308_064817890.jpg
    IMG_20170308_064817890.jpg
    442 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_20170308_064826706.jpg
    IMG_20170308_064826706.jpg
    620.5 KB · Views: 222
  • received_1448127488564943.jpg
    received_1448127488564943.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 227
  • received_1452501004794258.jpg
    received_1452501004794258.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 226
  • received_1452501008127591.jpg
    received_1452501008127591.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 233
Second Update! It worked! The Bottom Portion fits over my arm pretty well with room for an undersuit and the top just needs to be padded with foam to grip my bicep better but overall it worked out greatly!
IMG_20170310_200918996.jpg

Still more print gaps that I will have to cover up. I'm getting ready to print the right Bicep and tell it to do so at a slower speed to see if that fixes the issue.

That's all for now!

Vi Out.

Third Update I guess?

I did some reading and it looks like the Gaps are due to the printer not being enclosed and so some of the heat is escaping. I will be shopping around to find something that will work. My old printer had an IKEA enclosure cabinet, Simple but it worked, however this new printer is much larger. If anyone has suggestions I would definitely appreciate them as always.

Once Again,

Vi Out.

Ohhhhh I cringed a bit when I saw that pile, but overall this looks like its going to be a beautiful build keep it up and hopefully no more printer malfunctions !

Why would the 3D print out so many gaps? I agree w/ Artifice. I keep hearing and seeing the result of poorly formatted files that only produce piles of wibbely-wobbly stuff. Do the gaps interfear w/ the structural integrity of the piece? I would assume so.

Dirtdives, that's not how it works...the filament he's using, ABS, tends to shrink after printing if it isn't in a heated enclosure; resulting in cracks. sometimes the part cracks just out of the material's nature. I have a heated enclosure, and use the same material sometimes, and I don't get any cracks. I used to get cracks, but when I heat the enclosure...no more cracks!

fortunately, the cracks can be filled with ABS slurry (ABS scraps put in a jar with acetone) to completely repair the part. usually, the repaired areas are stronger because it's a solid plastic fuse, rather than filament that's been stacked on each other.

Viridiana Sovari, if your parts are cracking that much, you might want to consider increasing the extruder temperature a little bit. Maybe increase 1-5 degrees to encourage bonding between layers.

mblackwell, Thanks for the advice. I will look into doing that for my next print. I am currently looking into building/buying an enclosure for the printer to help it retain the heat. I am noticing the cracks around the same layer each time so I'm pretty positive that's what the issue is.

Side note here are my pretty Bicep pieces!!
IMG_20170313_211625685.jpg

Till Next time.

Vi Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back