"We Are ODST" Tarkov WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow… Sorry for leaving everybody out of the loop for so long.

@ gingersnapples:

I did actually mold an ODST chest plate that was based on the Legacy Effects “We Are ODST” costume. However, I have marked it as inaccurate and have chosen to restart it. I may be selling the mold in the near future for funds if need be, but I’m still unsure about doing so on account of the possibility that people may take credit for my work.

I'll be sure to update again as soon as possible.

Until then, stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

@ ACDCrockr209

Thanks for the comment!

I must admit that the next armour part needing an extreme amount of scratch building I may just ask a 3D modeler to create the model for me. The process I go through is extremely complex and stressful, and I recommend that anybody who is thinking about trying the method to simply not do it. I am only doing it to create the most accurate suit possible due to the absence of accurate pep files. Although I wish I could have simply sculpted the helmet, all of my clay is currently being used for the other half of the ODST shoulder and my BCH III ACR Team trooper helmet.

I will be updating again relatively soon. We are supposed to get a positive temperature within the next week for a day or two before going back to the negatives.

Until then, stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey everybody, sorry for the double post, but I finally have an update that is worth posting.

As I have said many times throughout my previous updates, my time is extremely restricted. Because of this, the costume did not progress any further since the last update (October 23, 2010). However, that is no longer the case. I have once again managed to jump-start this project, and with some luck, it should be completed for October 31st, 2011.

Because the weather here in Canada is beginning to warm up to the point where resin will cure before it freezes, I have started working on version 5 of the main chest plate. The scratch-pepping stage has been completed and I am currently waiting for the temperature to hit a positive number before I begin to resin (pictures of the main chest plate below).

DSC_0228.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

As I continue to wait for the temperature to co-operate with my progress, I have started and nearly finished scratch-pepping the Legacy Effects version “We Are ODST” helmet.

Because there are no pepakura files for this specific variant of the helmet, I took it upon myself to heavily modify an existing file. Kirrou’s HD ODST helmet caught my eye as a favorable base to build from. I pepped the helmet as I would any other helmet, but I left out a few details due to any future modifications of the file that would be needed to produce the most accurate reproduction of the original helmet as possible.

DSC_0001.jpg

Soon after comparing my reference images to Kirrou’s file, I noticed that I was in for a wild ride. More then 60% of the helmet would need to be completely re-built in order to create an accurate replica of the original “We Are ODST” helmet. All but the dome of the helmet needed to be re-built. However, even the dome will be almost unrecognizable due to a massive amount of bondo sculpting that will be needed to create an accurate replica. Obviously, to be a perfectionist warrants a high price to pay.

The main bulk of modification to the helmet lies within the sides and front of the helmet. A before and after shot should be enough to describe the large amount of work I undertook to insure proper accuracy.

Before:
DSC_0002.jpg

After:
DSC_0226.jpg

After removing the inaccurate parts of the helmet and mounting my own scratch-pepped parts, the helmet looks far more accurate at this stage in the game then it did when I first started.

DSC_0231-1.jpg

Surely you have noticed a large number of raised details are missing. Rest assured that every detail will be present before I mold the helmet after its completion.

DSC_0232-1.jpg

I still have to pep the back of the helmet, the helmets visor, and the details around the opening of the helmet. I will be sure to update on the helmet once it is pepped and ready for resin.

As always, constructive criticism and personal opinions are welcomed and encouraged. I’ll be sure to update again soon.

Until then, stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Thanks for the comment Road Kill.

After getting more snow followed by about three weeks of a steady temperature above zero (About time, it’s MAY), I got back to work on the ODST yesterday. I managed to fiberglass the chest armour I have pepped with 2 layers of fiberglass mat each. The main chest plate is now the sixth version I have made, and I’m finally happy with it.

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

DSC_0319.jpg

I believe the armour is about ready to be hit with some Bondo and sandpaper.

I’ll be sure to update again once I have done some sanding and a little bondo work.

Until then, stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Absolutely incredible. I have had trouble working with fiberglass in the past, so I'm actually kind of jealous. But I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out! Hopefully when my armor is finished, it'll look half as good as your armor does now! Again, great job! ODST!!

such a great project, look forward to seeing this progress. ODST threads like this have made me a huge fan of the ODST armor.

Thank you all for the comments.

Progress has been slow over the past 7 weeks. Due to school followed by work on week days and training on weekends my time spent on costuming has been extremely limited. Non-the-less, I have progressed notably and am now prepared to reveal my progress thus far.

I first purchased a couple of power tools to aid my sanding as I had attempted to sand the fiberglassed parts by hand but soon realized that a Mouse Sander and a Dremel tool would be a wise investment.

DSC_0387.jpg

I also gathered a large amount of reference for the main chest plate. Due to the lacking amount of reference material my “wall of reference” isn’t as large as I would have wanted it to be, but it does the job.

DSC_0393.jpg

After taking a close look at the main chest plate I noticed that the areas meant to be flat were warped outward terribly, thus requiring a large amount of sanding to insure the sides were completely flat.

Before:
DSC_0380.jpg

After:
DSC_0379.jpg

Soon after a notable amount of Bondo autobody filler was used to adjust the angle of the lower half of each breast section of the main chest plate. This proved to create a far more accurate angle, as well as helped solve an odd angle that had developed in the flat surfaces of that area.

DSC_0382.jpg

I am currently adjusting the depth of the main chest plate as well as sculpting certain areas of detail and trying to make the main chest plate as accurate as humanly possible.

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

The kidney plates have been worked on too. I am currently making sure the surfaces are flat and the angle of each corner is sharp. I am running into a large amount of bubbles in the fiberglass, and have decided to epoxy some sheet styrene to each exposed surface.

DSC_0385.jpg

DSC_0386.jpg

After realizing the stomach plate was too small and needed to be re-built, I decided to test my epoxy that was meant to bond most plastics and fiberglass. It was successful and did not melt the 1mm sheet styrene as well as bonded well to the fiberglass.

DSC_0392.jpg

The groin plate has been sanded and is currently having a few large bubbles patched with Bondo before I begin to use finer sandpaper to smooth the surface before I apply a coat of primer.

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

I suppose I’ll finish this update with a picture of the chest armour together as it currently stands. I have a large amount of work ahead of me, but the finished product will be worth every second spent, every bead of sweat and drop of blood lost.

DSC_0391-1.jpg

Stay frosty,

Jake
Xtreme TACTICS 101

Thats lookin really accurate. I really like what you did with modifying the pep file and all. All in all your work is looking really clean, and I look forward to more updates!

Hey there, really nice work. I know it is odd of someone to be looking around old threads and expecting an answer, but do you still have the pep file you used and if so, could you maybe share it with me :). I like how the dome isnt very complex and how the jaw area isnt either, making the pepping easy and adding details easier.

Necro posting is against forum policy, you're better off asking in the Pepakura Requests thread where you will get a good answer.

Oops, sorry. And thanks, although a longtime lurker, i am still a noob to these policies. My apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back