Halo Reach Commando Helmet Build (Picture Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keys would always help, especially in keepin the correct shape of the helmet, within the silicone mold while casting [prevents mishapen casts] and to hold it properly secured in the jacket.

You really need some keys on the front of that helmet. The helmet mold (rubber) is going to slide around inside your mother mold (hard outside of the mold) without registration keys (big bumps/ squares or other shapes) to help keep it in place. I see you made a big x on top, but it's not really tall enough to do a lot of good, also where you are going to get the most warp-age is at the bottom of the helmet. Remember when you are casting that is the part that will be at the top because you will hold it upside down to pour in the plastic. That means you need major keys working up in that direction.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I will definately be adding some keys to this mold. I wanted to do that last night, but my time estimate was way off on how long it actually takes to mold. I honestly think fiberglassing a a helmet with two layers of glass is shorter than doing this mold. But then again it could very well be because of how much of a noob I am at this. Again, I really appreciate the tips. hopefully this comes out well. Will I be safe just applying more silicone straight on top of what I have here or do I have to prep the surface at all since I wont be able to work on this for the next day or so.

@ Ben, would two keys at the lower part of the chin & the same in the lower back of the helm by the bottom of the neck work for keeping the bottom in place, also would two large keys ; 1 up by the front of the nose and one at the back help? See below for reference.

IMG_20110415_101602.jpg

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Lol, thanks Spartanx360.

I flipped the mold over yesterday and poured silicone in areas that had deep holes or just needed to be thickened up.

And, heres what I’m planning to do today

Keys curing in cups (3 on right = cured, 4 on left = curing)

IMG_20110416_095616.jpg

Fill in any deep areas with thickened rebound apply with butter knife

Apply keys strategically around mold (See pic below) I found a picture on the web of one of Ithicas V3 Recon molds and I liked how the keys were placed. So, that’s kinda what I’m shooting for.

IMG_20110416_101236.jpg

Tighten up the neck area with rebound to make sure it’s the right thickness all the way around to prevent tearing during the de-mold process at a later date.

Let me know if you think this plan is solid. Keep building!

P.S. I’ve learned a lot through the past two days, but most important I think is to have a solid plan in place for each layer. I had a general Idea, but you really want to get your ducks in a row during the molding process. You will save time and waste less material.

P.S.S. Thank you to everyone who has and is continuing to help me through the process.

This looks good, but I would move the one on the ear down so that its just a bit below centered on the helmet. Also I have a piece of bad news for you. Your mold will have fully cured by now, that means that is you ad keys to it now they will most likely just pop off, unless you have some sil-poxy (which is silicone glue made by Smooth-on).

This looks good, but I would move the one on the ear down so that its just a bit below centered on the helmet. Also I have a piece of bad news for you. Your mold will have fully cured by now, that means that is you ad keys to it now they will most likely just pop off, unless you have some sil-poxy (which is silicone glue made by Smooth-on).

Can I order it now and just do it in a week when it gets here. Or, can I dig the area out slightly creating some rough area to the cured silicone and then blob more silicone in the rough area, then attach the keys to that? Will that work? Thanks for the help Ben. I should of had a better plan.

If you are worried about that, using a sharp knife you can take off the vary surface and that should help it bond better. I have repaired torn silicon in the past so the same principle should apply. I know I have seen others add rebound on top of already fully cured silicon. You may want to check on the sil poxy though. When in doubt you can always call smooth on and see what they recommend.

Hope & a prayer that this works

Well, here is what I got so far. It’s been about an hour since these were taken. Mixing up another batch right after I post this to smooth out any indents. Hopefully the keys don’t pop off later. The first keys seem to be on their pretty good, but I guess I won’t know for sure until after I make the support shell and try to take it off. Well, let me know if you see any issues. Also, please forgive my noobness. My next mold will definitely be better planned. Thanks for viewing my thread.

IMG_20110416_160302.jpg

IMG_20110416_160347.jpg

IMG_20110416_160400.jpg

I'd put thickened silicone around the base of the Key's to help secure them, if you did that after you posted, good job :p

hey blackula, this is very interesting! i know nothing about molding, so i was wondering that if you are up to it, would you mold my EOD? i would only want it molded if it turns out near perfect, but i don't trust myself enough to try it. but i hope your mold comes out perfect:p

Thanks for the great comments all. Well as you can see, I’m no pro at this, but I think its ready for the support shell. I made mistakes, used way to much silicone, but I will do better next time. Well, we’ll see if this is a flop. I will build the support shell later this week. I’m spent. Anyways Keep Building guys!

IMG_20110416_203801.jpg

Paint job looks incredible, wonderful job on it!

I also don't really know anything about molding, so I'm interested in following along as you learn. I have to admit, it's scary putting a mess like that on a helmet as good as yours. Keep it up!

I dunno about silicone so I can't comment how is it going so far but I'm still observing you :D Gogogogo! Hope it turn out good.

Paint job looks incredible, wonderful job on it!

I also don't really know anything about molding, so I'm interested in following along as you learn. I have to admit, it's scary putting a mess like that on a helmet as good as yours. Keep it up!

I was terrified. All I could think of is if this doesn't cure, It's going to be a B#tch to get off. If the mold comes out right, I will post some of the other pictures of the process.

I dunno about silicone so I can't comment how is it going so far but I'm still observing you :D Gogogogo! Hope it turn out good.

I hope so to Constrictor, or I just wasted a bunch of time and money.

I will be making the mother mold sometime this week. Most likely Friday, since I have the day off.

This thing turned out great sir!! All of the smaller details that you added in turned out really well. Good luck on learning to mold too. ;)

-Matt

Thanks for the great comments all. Well as you can see, I’m no pro at this, but I think its ready for the support shell. I made mistakes, used way to much silicone, but I will do better next time. Well, we’ll see if this is a flop. I will build the support shell later this week. I’m spent. Anyways Keep Building guys!

that's the progress of learning from your mistakes ^_^

This thing turned out great sir!! All of the smaller details that you added in turned out really well. Good luck on learning to mold too. ;)

-Matt

I really appreciate the comment, Thank you. It's definitely been a learning process.

that's the progress of learning from your mistakes ^_^

You're right. I'm pretty comfortable now working with the silicone. I will be making the support shell this Friday which is right up my alley. I'm pretty familiar with fiberglassing.

This is way beyond what I can do with bondo. BLACKULA your skills are supernatural.

Its a work of Art
216920_10150180197324441_511249440_6513763_1003905_n.jpg

Lol!:D Thanks my man! Just so you know, I really appreciate the comment. Especially from you, I’m a big fan of the work you do. I’ve been going through my own struggle and that really lifted me up today. Keep building buddy!

Im glad I can help you forget about your problems if even just for a moment. Laughter is the cure lol. You helmet is amazing. I have to find a way to trick you into giving it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back