So basically you're saying:
> My actual armor piece was my test part.

Truly the best thing you can do is test, test, test. Sanding, masking and painting are skills to learn. Its not a "read a recipe and repeat on real parts the first time kind of thing." There is no formula/recipe/combination that someone can tell you:
Use A
Then B
Then C
and have it come out perfect every time - or even the first time when you are rushing and have no experience with it. Sorry, just being honest so you can plan well for your tight time frame remaining.

Its important to get a **feel** for your paints and tapes. Learn how long it takes your paint, in your weather, your climate to FULLY cure and so on.

Montana Gold is a great brand. I really don't think the paint was the problem so much as maybe rushing it... not testing the tape with that paint combo... not testing MG on top of Rust oleum... Not testing regular paint on top of **chrome** which rarely goes well...

> I have 3 days to sand all the grey and metal paint off, repaint the props
To me... me... You're hosed due to the nature of the paint needing at least that much time for each layer to fully cure.

Given your compressed time frame I'm going to suggest a much simpler paint job for this event. Then you add to it later. Don't expect to do a complex multi-layer chipping paint job in that time frame. Don't expect to paint with chrome, then another color, then tape all within the 24 hours you'll have after you do all the stripping while leaving time to do strapping: The paint just won't cure that fast.

A lot of people use plastic spoons for testing spray paint on. You can't hardly get those anymore in Australia: everything is eco-responsible bamboo. But I found herb garden plastic stakes at the dollar store that work well for testing.
Do 10 of them with your primer
Then 9 with your spray putty (or whatever)
Then 8 with your next coat (silver)
Then 7 with your ... black
You get the idea. You create a record of what every stage looks like in order.
1718176454586.png

You also do the same thing with combinations you're testing.
Primer A - with black A
Primer A - with black B
Primer A - with black c
etc etc.
Then you take all those and test them with Clear A, Clear B, Clear C
Then you test with Tape A, Tape B, Tape C

And all this testing gets you real results in your climate, with the paint+tape available to you at your stores, with whatever type of putty you used and so on. Its just so many combinations that nobody can tell you what recipe to follow. And this gives you a feel, an understanding of the paints... the techniques... distances from can to part... how paint B reacts if its a little cold out... Its an art you learn.

Type up some paper labels for the back
1718176498057.png

And you can even toss them in the box/tray/shelf with the part and highlight what stage they are on so you don't forget after a week or two.
1718176541549.png

Ummm... What's up with this? You just nuked your question?

1718177565927.png

We don't generally do this sort of 'blank out the question once I got some advice' kind thing here. There's no such thing as a stupid question. Your question and your need might be what 10 other people are facing at the same time, and 50 more over the next year. Your question and the answers that follow can help lots of people.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back