3d printed Halo 3 Master Chief costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello 405th members :) I want to share with you my 3d printed Halo 3 Master Chief costume.
After many eva foam costumes and one paper/fiberglass ..it is time for something with more details and better to scale.
Idea is to print all pieces and glue them together using super glue and 3d printing pen witch the same type of filament( maybe I will paint it from inside using easy flo 120 cast resin with black ink to make it stronger) .
I will use for this project PLA filament to avoid shrinking and cracking like in ABS 3prints.
I am using for this project PLA 1.75 mm from Rigid.ink and Creality CR -10 3d printer.
All parts will be printed with 2 perimeter shells and 15% infill. All pieces with raft .
Right now I have forearms and finishing (right now I need 6 hours of printing to have last piece of biceps ) bicps with arm.
Next pieces will be shins and boots .

Halo.jpg

biceps.jpg

chest.jpg

shin.jpg

IMG_20170805_094044.jpg

IMG_20170814_122913.jpg

Some great prints there! Be sure to check scale constantly. Especially in the early stages. You have a great start going!

Some great prints there! Be sure to check scale constantly. Especially in the early stages. You have a great start going!
Thank you . First bicps is with waves on Y axis but after small upgrade of my printer it is a lot better now. Also few problems with top layers but after all prints I will know how to set up next pieces.
Awesome work man! Can't wait to see you build this!
I have forearms and biceps done- soon will show them

Looks awesome! Might wanna open up that neck opening, though. Otherwise, great work!
I am still thinking about opening system. Usually in Eva foam chest piece I just use plastic clips. Here I am thinking about
1) magnets
2) 3d printed and welded to plastic clips
3) electromagnet with switcher- not sure how big battery do I need

Small update.
I have forearms and biceps ready to glue and weld them together. I will use super glue and also 3d pen with the same filament(In pen you see red filament but this is from seller and I will replace it for welding to PLA from Rigid.ink).
After sanding I will use filler for gaps etc but still thinking about using wood filler(I see a lot people are using it for cosplay 3d prints ) , spot filler and bondo.
In next week I will try ABS-X for chest piece and check results with shrinking and cracking.
IMG_20170819_145252.jpg IMG_20170819_145314.jpg

View attachment 248741 I bought wood filler to check how big different will be then using bondo.... a lot people giving me advice to try it so why not. It is also with hardener and the same toxic but will see after first use.
Forearms are sanded and I will fill gaps now. Biceps are ready for sanding also. I need to print top part of the shin but s3d showing m 59 hours of printing and in real time will me like 59H X 1.25 . ..... no way to do it now. I need to buy and install octoprint kit so I can control my printer and check it when I will be working.
IMG_20170819_185904.jpg IMG_20170820_142523.jpg IMG_20170820_142553.jpg IMG_20170820_142603.jpg IMG_20170820_130457.jpg

View attachment 248741

MonsterMask Its looking pretty awesome so far. Question for you though, where did you get the models for this armor or did you model them yourself? Im wondering because Im working on gen 1 MK VI now and I've converted the high def Pepakura files from the armory because I couldnt find any good files for the MK VI.

MonsterMask Its looking pretty awesome so far. Question for you though, where did you get the models for this armor or did you model them yourself? Im wondering because Im working on gen 1 MK VI now and I've converted the high def Pepakura files from the armory because I couldnt find any good files for the MK VI.
I ordered them for around 400£

I ordered them for around 400£

Yeowch...For that much I hope it was Chief in the suit with textures and bone structure for animations.....Cause that's a heck of a lot for just the geometry of the armor.

Still, your progress is looking great. the pieces you have the filler applied to look awesome.

Last edited:
Yeowch...For that much I hope it was Chief in the suit with textures and bone structure for animations.....Cause that's a heck of a lot for just the geometry of the armor.

Still, your progress is looking great. the pieces you have the filler applied to look awesome.
Yes I know that this price is big and for the next project will try to find other modeler . I have legs ready for sanding now :)

That looks amazing! Question tho, what layer height and nozzle diameter are you using?

That looks amazing! Question tho, what layer height and nozzle diameter are you using?
I am using 0.2 layer and 0.4 nozzle and extrusion set up for 0.4 not 0.48 wide .
It is very important how you will put your part in slicer to print. Also support setting is very important and I am using -45 and 45 angle for support . Sometimes I have similar amount of support to part buy then I am sure that less sanding and filling will be on the end. I Will change now for ABS X because is a lot stronger and easy to sand then PLA. Price is the similar so I prefer to buy ABS X

Are you gonna mold these?
I am thinking about parts like forearms , shin(the same for left and right leg in version to 175cm and version 2 more then 175cm ) boots covers. I think is cheaper to print rest parts then make molds if other parts will be in different sizes for every person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back