3D Printing an ODST helmet whole?

Alriar

Good morning, everyone.
I've done prints before, but usually much smaller ones like weapons and smaller handheld props. I'm trying to get into armor making, starting by attempting to print an ODST helmet, but I'm struggling with support. I'm using a CR-10S, which has a 300x300 build plate, so I can print the helmet whole, but my concern comes down to support placement and knowing which pieces need support and which don't. Has anyone ever printed an ODST helmet whole or even any helmet? Looking for a little guidance.

Any help is appreciated. I hate Cura

1721583409043.png
1721583446659.png

Hi Alriar, welcome to the 405th!

Firstly, have you done an overhang test, to check how well your printer can handle overhangs? Before doing a big thing like a helmet, I'd also do some tests to make sure I'm happy with how the supports print (including how well the break off from the model), if you haven't already.

I like to use tree supports. It takes longer to slice usually, but the result can often save on print time and filament. On top of that, because the supports can branch off into different directions, they can reach places the default supports can not when the "Touching Buildplate" Support Placement option is set.

For the most part, I let it automatically place supports. However, if there are some spots where it looks like the overhang is too steep, or if there's an overhang detail you want to better preserve, you may also want to add them in yourself (unfortunately it's been a while since I've used Cura and I can't quite remember how to do that).

Hi Alriar, welcome to the 405th!

Firstly, have you done an overhang test, to check how well your printer can handle overhangs? Before doing a big thing like a helmet, I'd also do some tests to make sure I'm happy with how the supports print (including how well the break off from the model), if you haven't already.

I like to use tree supports. It takes longer to slice usually, but the result can often save on print time and filament. On top of that, because the supports can branch off into different directions, they can reach places the default supports can not when the "Touching Buildplate" Support Placement option is set.

For the most part, I let it automatically place supports. However, if there are some spots where it looks like the overhang is too steep, or if there's an overhang detail you want to better preserve, you may also want to add them in yourself (unfortunately it's been a while since I've used Cura and I can't quite remember how to do that).
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have done an overhang test and she seems to handle up to 70 degrees relatively well. I'll definitely check out the tree supports. I will say that's really my only gripe with CR printers. I'm not a huge fan of Cura, but there don't seem to be many alternatives. I was originally looking at getting into IdeaMaker, but I guess it isn't compatible with my printer. That seems to be the biggest problem I run into. I appreciate the input!

Cura certainly does have its quirks. Have you had a look into PrusaSlicer? It's what many other slicers are based off nowadays, and you can setup custom printer profiles, so it'll work on Creality gear too!

I use BambuLab now (I have a CR10s but now just use the P1P) and I'm fairly certain it's based off of Prusa's software.

I printed mine upside-down. It worked pretty well, except for the crazy amount of sanding required to clean up the mess. My support material stuck too well in some spots, and the model had a bunch of loose filament where it in others...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back