Assistance with 3D printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPaxton

So as I've started to work I've found the do to restrictions I face on campus the pep method may not be the very viable, not impossible but it'll become hard enough that I'm considering other options. Which has led me to 3D printing, I have access to a printer and have some on-site assistance hardware wise, but I'll need to provide my own files. I have no experience with modeling at all and as far as I understand it I'll have to modify some of the files start with in any case and I'll definitely break some larger ones down to make them small enough for the printer. I'll love any assistance in this.

So as I've started to work I've found the do to restrictions I face on campus the pep method may not be the very viable, not impossible but it'll become hard enough that I'm considering other options. Which has led me to 3D printing, I have access to a printer and have some on-site assistance hardware wise, but I'll need to provide my own files. I have no experience with modeling at all and as far as I understand it I'll have to modify some of the files start with in any case and I'll definitely break some larger ones down to make them small enough for the printer. I'll love any assistance in this.
AgentPaxton you can find many modified files here on the forums so you shouldn't have to make them all yourself, good luck!

We have object files on the site from the game which will help you like Jaku said to not have to start from scratch. But as far as smoothing them out, slicing them up and generally getting them print-ready... you may need to go to other corners of the internet. We have no good tutorials for 3d printing. But, I'm sure there are many youtube videos and forums out there dedicated to this, many for specific printers. First find out what printer you will be working with. Search general operating instructions for it to get yourself acquainted with terminology and such. Then I would search, "how to get an .OBJ file print ready" There's lots of programs out there. Some of our members have their preferred that they will probably chime in with.

Good luck!!!! I'll be right behind you as my 3d printer is starting to collect dust waiting for me to have time to learn. :(

Welcome to the party! 3D printing is an excellent yet challenging method to create props. Like Duke said the OBJ/STL files on the armory section are a perfect starting point. Programs like Blender, Meshmixer, or fusion 360 are perfect for slicing and smoothing. All have a wealth of tutorials on the interwebs. As for scaling may I suggest Armorsmith. It really simplifies the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back