Building Mirage (Fireteam Splinter)

BlazingForge

Fireteam Splinter Mirage
(For competitions and an overall build guide)

Recently Me, blafftat, Dragern, Satan Farted, and iLLSH0T619 have all began to start making a Spartan 3 Mirage group. Fireteam splinter. This will be the build thread that shows how exactly I create this and how I personally do everything from start to finish!
77d7ac4c-eba1-4c9d-9e99-1db4f12b3a35.jpg

This suit will be a Cosplay I intend on using for cosplay competitions. Hoping I can win one with it; however, because it is going to be used for competitions I need to get it as accurate as I physically can. I will also deploy this suit and I'm planning to have it done before I am 18 years old since Fan expo is in June but also because I just like the idea of having made a T3 Suit before I could even deploy
This Build thread will also have a Document and Video series made with it. The link to the Document where you can read just about everything about this suit while I make it is here.
Link: Building Mirage
Youtube (this is where the videos will be posted):
BlazingForgeCosplay
As for the rest of the build thread it will be split up in chapters. Each chapters will cover just about the exact same as the Build document and these two should be about the same. So there is that. And with that Here is what each chapter goes over.

Chapter 1: Files​

(Where to find the files? What you should know before buying or printing files)

Chapter 2: Sizing​

(How is it sized and what software do you need to size things well?)

Chapter 3: Slicing and 3D printing​

(What slicer do you use? What should be known about 3D printing these parts. And what are some tricks that you use when 3D printing it)

Chapter 4: Post Processing​

(What grits of sandpaper are used? What should you use to fill gaps and imperfections? Why is this process “Necessary”?)

Chapter 5: Painting​

(What brand of paint do you use? Why do you layer paint on top of each other the way you do? How can this affect the final product?)

Chapter 6: Weathering​

(What makes it look realistic? How do you make convincing scuff marks, scratches, and paint chips? How do you make it look used?)

Chapter 7: Sewing​

(How do you capture most of the undersuit details?)

Chapter 8: Rigging​

(How do you put it on your body? Is it comfortable?)

Chapter 9: Extra Details and Finished Photos​

Chapter 0

(What are we building?)

This is a guide on how I built my Halo Infinite Mirage Suit. There will be a video format for this too however this is the written version that should be easier to fully find info about. Either way back to the topic. This again is a guide on how I built this suit HOWEVER this can be applied to just about ANY 3D printed Costume.
Overall I chose to build Halo Infinite’s Mirage Core with shoulder pads I preferred and armor coating. This goes into figuring out what you want to build. Visualize it in some way whether it be drawing out the parts and coloring it or making 3D renders or putting it together in game.
These are some in-game screenshots I gathered to just decide that I wanted to really pick up the project. These will serve as great guides to create this build and turn it from fiction into reality. This step will apply to ANY build in ANY method. Being able to visualize what you want to create and start seeing if it would even look good in my opinion is a must. It’s very easy to get carried away with “What if I did this.” or “This could look good.” that and have it turn out not exactly how you envisioned it or even wanted it to be.

77d7ac4c-eba1-4c9d-9e99-1db4f12b3a35.jpg
a6115cc0-54eb-4ee0-83e2-d74463c02d0a.jpg
2a4a53a8-3782-4212-af00-d3c457b17086.jpg
160e1f81-1f81-4b17-a177-4b8fa283bb57.jpg
With Halo Spartans luckily there’s a Blender community that has created a very modular file for people to be able to create their own spartans! It can be found here: Halo Spartan Pack 5.0 Do keep in mind this Pack is constantly being updated with the new parts from the game. So it may not be up to date. However this provides a great tool for cosplayers!

Chapter 1

(Files: Where to find them.)

Files are one of the most necessary parts of creating most of this armor. Especially when you are 3D printing it like I am. When foamsmithing you can find unfolds that are great for creating this armor, however it can also be done freehand with time.
When 3D printing cosplay parts I heavily recommend NOT using Game rips. Game rips are just 3D models that are ripped straight out of the game. These are not made for human wearing and are typically very low polygon and low detail. Sometimes they have holes in them and need to be repaired manually. However it’s just easier to find 3D models online downloading and or buying them.
With this I personally believe Titlewave Designs has some of the absolute best cosplay 3D models on the market as well as with the most variety. I’ll be using his Mirage Files for cosplay in order to create this.
An honorable mention for 3D models is InstinctCreative3D. He has some great Cosplay models and has recently helped create a Noble Team group which has some of the best suits I’ve seen. Another honorable mention which would be the solution to anyone on a strict budget would be MoeSizzlac. He has some amazing models for full suits of armor FOR FREE. Which is great for anyone on a budget! Another place that has tons of files is Halo Costume and Prop Maker Community - 405th! Has the most halo foam/pepakura files for sure and has a large community who is willing to help you learn!
Other places to find files are Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects, Cults・Download free 3D printer models・STL, OBJ, 3MF, CAD, https://www.etsy.com/?ref=lgo, https://www.patreon.com/home! These places are my main go to’s for where I find my 3D models. Just keep in mind you cannot sell most files without the necessary license and permission from the original creator. Also keep in mind most Files will not be sized and scaled to you and thus will not look as good as you might hope. That leads us into our next part.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back