Completely New Here with my First build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHCosplay

Now currently the only pictures i have are of unpainted pieces and i would rather not put my armor on as of right now but i have just recently put the finishing touches on my Custom ODST armor. it took about three days to finish and im going to a con this weekend so i hope i can meet some of the others there.

Well done buddy in getting a suit of armor completed. Get some pics up when you can ;)

So this is the helmet to the build, it was destroyed at the con after it was taken off and put away, the armor did nothing but break and i kinda hate it

Attachments

• IMG_3208.JPG
    IMG_3208.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
  • IMG_3209.JPG
    IMG_3209.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 302
  • IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 322
  • IMG_3211.JPG
    IMG_3211.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 325
The knees actually stayed together for the most part.

Attachments

• IMG_3212.JPG
    IMG_3212.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3213.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_3214.JPG
    IMG_3214.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 292
My Shin, Thigh, and Mock M6 Magnum cut out

Attachments

• IMG_3215.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 291
  • IMG_3219.JPG
    IMG_3219.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 324
The gauntlets, Abs and butt plate, and a should plate

Attachments

• IMG_3216.JPG
    IMG_3216.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 293
  • IMG_3217.JPG
    IMG_3217.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3222.JPG
    IMG_3222.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_3223.JPG
    IMG_3223.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 289
and then the chest armor

Attachments

• IMG_3220.JPG
    IMG_3220.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 321
3 days for a full suit is not much time (I can hardly get one piece done in that)! Even with the parts breaking during the con (common occurrence), I hope you had fun and were able to meet other members. Hoping to see what you can create if you have more time! ... and, thanks for sharing :)

For your next build take your time. The marks that are jagged are from doing a sawing motion. To get angles on parts cut them at 45 degrees and such to get desired slants instead of cutting the outer foam (nothing wrong with it, in some cases you have to in others you get less material to glue together) like I said I will try and find you the pep files for foam. With these files contact or barge cement are your friend, along with white acrylic painable caulk to fill in seams. Extra thick tacky glue will also do the trick.

Well done on your first kit! I can't say I did that well with my first costume many years ago so congrats! Don't hate it...learn from it! It really is the only way to continue to grow and expand on your skills. There's lots of help for you here! Welcome to the 405th!

We were so pleased to see you on Saturday in armor at Sci Fi. My only regret was that I wasn't able to get photos of you in it.

I am SO,and I can't stress it enough, so happy that you won the ConQuest and the ODST bucket and basic torso armor.

Thanks guys but after I got home everything else exploded and I'm very disappointed. I'm actually so discouraged that I don't even want to finish the build that I had won at the contest. The crappy edges actually weren't sawed the foam just did not want to cut. I may or may not even try to make armor anymore. It was a lot of money to begin with and I don't have the time to work on a new set that might take years...

Sorry to hear this. I know I have had some discouraging moments on my builds. There'd been times when I have put it up for months at a time. But I always come back to it. I would hate to see you totally give up. Your first build came up pretty well. All you can do is learn from there. So if you do hang up the hat I wish you luck in any of your new endeavors.

Thanks guys but after I got home everything else exploded and I'm very disappointed. I'm actually so discouraged that I don't even want to finish the build that I had won at the contest. The crappy edges actually weren't sawed the foam just did not want to cut. I may or may not even try to make armor anymore. It was a lot of money to begin with and I don't have the time to work on a new set that might take years...

@PHCosplay, nothing to get discouraged about.....for your first time out, it's not bad. The foam not cutting is most probably due to the blade getting dull.....It is a nature happenstance when cutting foam. Changing blades or sharpening them can correct this problem. I recognize the style of ODST armor as that from Andrew DFT. It is a pretty basic set but w/ just a little effort, it can really be a great suit. I was at the SciFi con the following day (Sunday) and had built my daughter the same armor. I would be more than happy to help you out in any way that I can to get your suit to where you want it.

Great offer Dirtdives! I know as a general rule of thumb, i sharpen my blade across a small sharpener I have at my work bench, before i make each cut. It is a simple rule that yields big results. And we all have days where we don't want to continue with a project, or we feel a certain way about it...just keep building! This community will support you!

See I changed my blade every 20 minutes or so but it was still coming out poorly and I'm very discouraged. I might have to make a new suit regardless as I'm trying to go for a mixed fandom suit, some advise would be wonderful

Now currently the only pictures i have are of unpainted pieces and i would rather not put my armor on as of right now but i have just recently put the finishing touches on my Custom ODST armor. it took about three days to finish and im going to a con this weekend so i hope i can meet some of the others there.
God, everyone's first armor is ODST armor, well not everyone but a lot of people's.

Twas the only armor I could find a template for but I almost regret making it now. I really want to know if Spartans are easier than ODSTs

See I changed my blade every 20 minutes or so but it was still coming out poorly and I'm very discouraged. I might have to make a new suit regardless as I'm trying to go for a mixed fandom suit, some advise would be wonderful

20 minutes......I sharpen my blade after 20 cuts.........

God, everyone's first armor is ODST armor, well not everyone but a lot of people's.

You have to admit that it is a very popular suit......one that can be modified as the builder wants.....It is a bit harder to do that w/ a character specific suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back