Custom Cortana Statue WIP

Discussion in 'General Halo Discussion' started by jusdrewit, Mar 15, 2017.

1. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Hope this is the right forum! Anyways, I've always wanted a good quality Cortana statue, unfortunately ever since the Sideshow one got cancelled there haven't been any. The WETA statue is very nice (and expensive) and has a good concept, but I don't like the figure, it's not detailed enough for me, the face, etc etc. Anyways, recently I got inspired to convert a statue and customize it into Cortana. After scouring the internet for a possible candidate I found one in a Captain Marvel statue that had the right look and pose for Cortana.

My first step was removing the sash she has around her waist which cut nicely, but she had a groove around her waste I would have to fill in later and sand down. Next I trimmed her hair down, as I will sculpt my own hair. Since Cap. Marvel had gloves with indentations and boots. I spent considerable time carving and sanding so it was flush but even then I would have to fill in the seams with putty. After sanding I had her primed, but I saw imperfections with the putty, so I will probably sand it more again and then prime the areas I sanded. Once the body is fully primed and perfected to my satisfaction, I will begin tackling the base color schemes + intricate patterns and eventually a better base. I've been working on this for months. Anyways, thanks for the read.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    BlazedStarbon and Cadet like this.
  2. BlazedStarbon

BlazedStarbon RMO 405th Regiment Officer

As a fan of the character, this is turning out beautifully! Continue sharing your progress :love::love::love:

3. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Thank you! I shall post more pictures when I can.

4. Cadet

Cadet Executive Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

This is a very cool project, I also hope you continue to share your progress.

5. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Thanks guys. Just minor update so far. Wasn't happy with some of the seamlines (mainly around the stomach and hip area), so went back, sanded more and reprimed those areas. Here it is with what is hopefully the last prime before I start the real base colors.

17357691_10154568778463666_116241553_o.jpg

6. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

I'm still seeing imperfections, so I keep sanding away to get it smooth hence the more white spots on her body. Finally added rough sculpt of hair, I will sand it and add further strands of hair until it's too my liking, so right now it's very rough.
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

PaiganBoi likes this.
  7. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi

This is a lovely customization. I have seen projects of this nature before. Taking a statue or figure and transforming them into something completely different.
    Will you be altering the base to something closer to a Halo theme?

8. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Thanks Paigan! Yes, I envision something very similar to the Weta statue. Basically, Master chief's hand holding Cortana's Data chip, with that figure on top.

PaiganBoi likes this.
  9. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Still refining hair, more pics:
    IMG_20170325_100817.jpg IMG_20170325_100748.jpg IMG_20170325_100730.jpg
    Spent many hours sanding down previous hair layer and trying to refine lines on new hair sculpt, is definitely harder than I anticipated.

PaiganBoi and Cadet like this.
  10. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Got in some work in AI for the eventual decals. Using lots of reference, very rough still. Also plan another lighter layer of decals for more 'circuit board' imagery she has. IMG_20170327_165218.jpg

11. EndlessForrest

EndlessForrest

This is looking pretty cool. Where's the buy option? lol

jusdrewit likes this.
  12. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Finally have an update, got around to dusting off my Badger 150 airbush and trying some effects. Here's what I have so far

IMG_20170530_062952.jpg IMG_20170530_062925.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    EndlessForrest and PaiganBoi like this.
  13. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Haha thanks!

14. Asgardianhammer

Asgardianhammer Identity Officer Division Staff

This looks great! I imagine you will also be changing out her base for the Chip or similar?

jusdrewit likes this.
  15. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Thank you! and yes, exactly. I really like the Weta Cortana statue design of the chip and MC's gloved hand holding it, but I never liked her face/pose. So more than likely, once I'm done with my Cortana paint up, I'll create the chip/or buy one and use that as the base. If that looks good, I'll start planning the gloved hand holding that.
    DH15440lg.jpg

16. jusdrewit

jusdrewit Recruit

Some updates, finally applying decals to her. Still heavy WIP, still need to clean up decals I messed up on, and add more blue paints to make decals blend better.

IMG_20170618_231229.jpg IMG_20170618_231236.jpg IMG_20170618_231259.jpg received_10154842992163666.jpeg

Cadet and BlazedStarbon like this.
  17. BlazedStarbon

BlazedStarbon RMO 405th Regiment Officer