Custom Halo: Reach Freelancer Build (WIP, 1st Build, RvB inspired)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiguide

Hello 405th! After being a lurker on this site for a while, a fundamental abundance of free time in college (and inspiration from Instagram) has prompted me to start my first pepakura build. This thread is going to be for Halo: Reach armor that I will be building based off of a custom character I created on reddit some time ago named Agent Eastpointe. But it's basically the same armor combination that I used in Halo:Reach to play Nobel Six too.

I currently have two helmets in the works right now because I initially made a Rogue helmet, which turned out a bit too small :( before moving on to build East's signature Air Assault helmet, which fortunately turned out the perfect size. Instead of scrapping the Rogue helmet, I decided it would be the perfect medium to help me practice the resin / painting process so that I don't mess up my other helmet. And it's be so far so good although the prospect of fiber glassing was daunting at first. I'll start off with progress pic of the Rogue before I start on the Air Assault helmet and other parts of my custom build. I would love some creative criticism / pointers, especially if you notice something on the Rogue helmet that I could do better the next time around!

Now for some pictures!

Air Assault helmet- Pep finished
20171203_100916.jpg

Rogue helmet- Pep & outside fiber glassed so far
20171207_185546.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to paint the primary and secondary colors onto the rogue helmet (metallic primer already complete) but I had some trouble finding a reference picture of how the pattern is on the top of the helmet. Finally I was able to take this screenshot from a youtube video, and figured I might as well add it here for anyone else that might be looking for something similar in the future.

Screenshot_20171216-170508.png

Also, for easier sanding would you guys recommend a sander or dremel (if someone were to only get one)? I have heard that dremels are good for detail work but it is it also applicable to larger area smoothing like the ridges on a helmet?

Looks like you're off to a great start! Versatility I say puts the dremel as the superior choice. You can get attachments that sand, saw, drill, scribe, sharpen, heck I even grind my dog's nails with one same as PetCo. All the orbital sander can do you can do by hand (sanding block helps too).

Also, just a note, don't confuse fiberglass with fiberglass resin. They are two different things. There is no fiberglass in fiberglass resin.

If your small Rogue helmet turns out after you're done practicing, it will make a great gift for a younger family member (I reworded to make it gender inclusive) ;)

Looks like you're off to a great start! Versatility I say puts the dremel as the superior choice. You can get attachments that sand, saw, drill, scribe, sharpen, heck I even grind my dog's nails with one same as PetCo. All the orbital sander can do you can do by hand (sanding block helps too).

Also, just a note, don't confuse fiberglass with fiberglass resin. They are two different things. There is no fiberglass in fiberglass resin.

If your small Rogue helmet turns out after you're done practicing, it will make a great gift for a younger family member (I reworded to make it gender inclusive) ;)

Thanks, I appreciate the advice and the thoughtfulness! I knew about the resin having no fiberglass but must have been rushing when I wrote that caption. I'm about to upload the pictures of the helmet painted, before weathering (that will have to wait til after the holidays). I have a little brother who might appreciate it, but he's got a pretty big head too.

I'll definately have to start looking into dremels, especially since it could have multiple uses in trimming pet nails. That would really come in handy. Thanks.

20180202_141643.jpg

After a long pause in crafting over winter break, I am now back in the game with a spartan chest piece! This also turned out really well, although I ended up doing a bit of free hand altercation to tighten up the fit (it was a bit on the larger side at first). I cut out some of the bottom curve on each arm and I'm much happier with the size now, although I was worried about messing it up the whole time.

Edit: I also was able to do some weathering detail on the rogue helmet and will probably work on a smaller aspect next, like shoulders.

Last edited:
shiguide, great job on the helmet and chest piece. I suggest hitting the helmet w/ a fine sandpaper to get rid of any little bumps. And if needed, retouch w/ paint. Overall, nicely done.

I apologize in advance for forgetting that this thread existed. Since it has been a while, here is a picture dump and updates (my instragram contains more frequent updates if you want to check that out). All parts are finished and in the works of being painted and detailed. Having some trouble figuring out how to strap everything nicely, so if anyone has reference threads / suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated. Looking to get everything finished by RTX, and so far I seem to be on track towards that goal. If anyone knows about meetups at RTX, that would also be useful information.

Updates, whomst? Sorry for the lack of progress posts, but I was rushing for a special debut at RTX and it's now safe to say that this build is finished! Without further ado, I present Agent Eastpointe. There are still a few details I might add later, like decal stickers for logos and such but I am incredibly happy with how this whole thing turned out and held up for when I wore it. Definitely wouldn't want to wear it for a whole weekend at this point, but it was a lot more comfortable and easy to walk in than I had been expecting.

22653.jpeg
22645.jpeg

Armor looks amazing! What did you do for the visor? It looks so good, and I was wondering if it is those sheets from etsy

Armor looks amazing! What did you do for the visor? It looks so good, and I was wondering if it is those sheets from etsy

Thanks Dash! Yes, the visor is the blue hex visor sheet from IconProps on etsy, which I cut down and glued in around the edges on the inside of the helmet. I was going to use an actual motorcycle visor but this worked out so much easier and the final effect is spot on to the kind of look I had wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back