Dad wanting to build my son a halo helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross Thain

Hi been looking online and seen a few videos etc. I've never done anything like this before just want to do something cool for him. Was just going to buy but thought **** it I'll give this ago. I'm in the UK so just looking what I need and what shops etc to buy from. Where to get blue prints and instructions from. Any advice would be appreciated.

The Armory
The Armory | Halo Costume and Prop Maker Community - 405th

Houses all of our Pepakura and EVA foam blueprint files. What is Pepakura? Pepakura is Japanese paper model making program that many years ago ambitious costumers realised that models from games could be imported into and used to make life size replicas. Pepakura was originally intended to be used for folding cardstock paper, which for costumes is then reinforced with Fiberglass. People have also found ways to slightly modify those paper based files for use with EVA to avoid some of the issues that come with Fiberglass.

All of which means that first you will need to get yourself a copy of Pepakura to make either a foam or a fiberglass helmet. There are two versions of Pepakura, a free version which does not allow you to safe any changes you make to a model, like changes in size and scaling, and a pay version which does.

For using EVA foam there are many good YouTube tutorials from people like EvilTed and PunishedProps.

For paper and fiberglass use there are a great many tutorials here on the Forums that can be found with minimal searching.

Also not to be nitpicky, but please watch your language around here; we try not to be offensive in that way. Or other ways...

Looking forward to seeing what you do! It's always exciting when someone starts a build. Good luck!

Also not to be nitpicky, but please watch your language around here; we try not to be offensive in that way. Or other ways...

Looking forward to seeing what you do! It's always exciting when someone starts a build. Good luck!

I miss the Blam!ing chat filters. Wait... Who the Blam! turned that back on?

Ross Thain did you have a specific helmet that you were looking at building?

Sorry for swearing. Lol. Halo Masterchef I think. Think might halo 4 or something. I have a Mac so need to look into finding away get that pakparuks thing. Also what about the scaling my son is 6 so not sure what to scale down to.

Not sure of your exact setup but a step by step like this may get you on the right track for getting Pepakura working on your machine.

Another option for a quick and easy helmet build for a munchkin is to follow the AndrewDFT ODST video series for a follow along with a kid scaled template in his pattern pack. It's not the Chief but it's pretty damn iconic and a great way to ease into foam construction.

Actually here is a file that you can print out w/o going in to pepakura.....its a pdf file so you might have to play w/ the printer settings to get the sizing right. I built this as is w/o changing the settings and it fit my son who was 10 at the time and it was just fitting him. I will tell you one thing though. When assembling this do the opposite. Start at the crown (top of the head) and work your way down. Once you've built more helmets like this you'll see why. It's kind of hard getting both hands inside the opening and attaching template pieces together.

IMG_6650.jpg

Attachments

• master_chief_helmet_by_ninjafysh.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 3,170
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back