Deployment FAQ

Cadet

Executive Officer
Division Staff
Community Staff
Member DIN
S111
Congratulations on building your first Halo costume! You've taken your first step into a larger world. If you wish to delve deeper into your passion, your next step is the Deployment system.

RandomRanger is the current Division Membership Officer if you have any further questions not covered by this FAQ

What is Deployment?
Deployment is an optional process where a 405th member may voluntarily submit their completed costume for evaluation and sorting into one of three (3) tiers based on the accuracy of their build and it’s fit to the wearer. The program is meant as an acknowledgement and celebration of a member’s hard work on their costume as well as an encouragement and goal for new members starting out on their great journey into the costuming world.

Do I have to be Deployed to be a member of the 405th?
No. Anyone over the age of 13 is free to create an account and join the 405th forums and make use of all the resources found on 405th.com including The Armory regardless of Regimental affiliation or Deployment status. However, you must be over 18 to submit a Deployment application.

Do I have to be Deployed to join a Regiment?
No. Anyone who has an account with at least 50 posts who has been on the site for 90 days may request to join their local regiment. A completed costume is not a prerequisite to joining a regiment.

What can a non-deployed member do in a Regiment?
Any Regimental members over the age of 18 may vote in any Regimental election and may be appointed by the Regimental Commanding Officer (RCO) to a Regimental Position such as Regimental Executive Officer (RXO) or Regimental Membership Officer (RMO). Non-Deployed members may attend any event that has not had any limitations placed on it by Division Command, Regimental Command, or the Event Requester.

Are events that Non-Deployed members can’t do?
There has not yet ever been an event that has been limited to "Deployed Members Only," however, because we partner with outside organizations for many of our events, we can not discount the possibility that they will request specific characters, types of costumes, or levels of accuracy for their events. In these instances, Deployment maybe used to select or evaluate those members who will attend that event. However, if no requests or requirements are given by the event organizers, all Deployed and non-Deployed costumes are free to attend the event. The over whelming majority of 405th events, and the default view on events, is that all costumes are welcome.

What are the Tiers for Deployment?
Tier 1 is for those that have successfully completed a Halo Universe costume, but might have inaccuracies or have some fitting errors.
Tier 2 is for those costumes that have achieved a superior level of fit and accuracy, but might still be missing some details.
Tier 3 is for those costumes that have achieved a level of accuracy and fit that they appear to have stepped right out of the game.

Are there different benefits to each Tier?
When it comes to Deployment, a Deployed Member is a Deployed member. Within the 405th, higher level Tier members do not have any special permissions, access, or benefits than a lower Tiered member. All three deployment levels fit into the same membership category, “Deployed Member.” The only time the Tier level might come into consideration is if an outside Event Requester specifically asks for certain costumes or places certain requirements for a High Profile event, but to date, no such event has actually occurred.

What costumes are eligible for Deployment?
There are three main criteria for a deployable costume:

1. Is it a costume from the Official Halo Universe?
In order to be deployed, a costume must be from an official Microsoft or 343i source. While this is primarily the games, Graphic Novels, Live Action Productions, Animated Projects, and even some concept art from Official published Art Books can be considered.

Additionally, the 405th recognizes the partnership with Bungie, and later 343 Industries, that Rooster Teeth’s Red vs Blue series has had. As such, some variants seen in Red vs Blue but not seen in game, such as Insurrectionist ODSTs, Project Freelancer members and other world characters may be considered for Deployment.

Fan art and even art from known Concept Artists that has not been published in an official source or publication is not a basis for deployment. Any concept art must be published by an official source either through Halo media, or on the artists profile on Artstation.

2. Does the costume have a visual reference to be compared to and judged against?
One of the primary aims of Deployment is to celebrate a member’s recreation of a Halo Universe costume. As such, there must be something to compare the finished costume to when determining the accuracy of someone’s build. The visual reference should be of sufficient detail and clarity to accomplish this. This can be achieved via sources such as games, Live action/Animated projects, Graphic novels, and concept art from Novels/Art books.

Additionally, keep in mind that UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner and civilian costumes are eligible for Deployment.

3. Is the costume complete?
In order for a costume to be eligible for Deployment, it must be complete. Partial costumes or costumes missing components or pieces seen in the visual reference will not be considered for Deployment.

That was a lot to read! So... how do I apply for Deployment?
To send in your Deployment Application, go to our "Requests" page:
and click Request Deployment:
Please ensure that all details are filled out, and images are attached. We need full body images of your costume. We cannot accurately inspect your costume if we can't see it! We need images of your costume that show the front, both sides, and the back.

So it's really that simple?
Yes, it is! Please note, that as stated before, Deployment is optional, and will not directly affect your experience with the 405th. RandomRanger is looking forward to helping you progress further with the 405th!

These are examples of the images that should be included in your application:
100_2720.JPG100_2721.JPG100_2722.JPG100_2723.JPG

The Following are General Guidelines, remember that each Costume is graded individually and a Tier Report is generated based on multiple different factors: Fit, Finishing, and Accuracy:

Costume Eligibility:

-Costume must be based on a published, official Halo Universe source, including Games, Comics, Novels, and Art Books so that there is a visual source to objectively compare the finished costume against.
-Costumes based on Concept Art are applicable for Deployment when the designs have been published in an Official Microsoft or 343 Industries publication, such as a “Art of” of book. Designs posted on an individual Artist’s website but not seen in an official publication are not applicable as it can not be verified if the art work is something Bungie or 343i approved of or commissioned or if it is simply "Fan Art" as done by the artist.
-No original, fan designed Armor Sets, permutations, or components are applicable for Deployment.

The Following are general guidelines for each Tier. Each costume will have further specific requirements and items that are looked at and evaluated.

Tier 1 Guidelines:

-Costume must be complete with all primary components present. Any missing primary components will make a costume ineligible for Deployment.
(Primary components will be determined on a costume by costume basis. An item or component becomes optional for Deployment when in game or in universe references show that an item or component varies in appearance, location, or presence. Examples include pouches or ammo bandoliers on ODSTs or armor/helmet accessories in Halo Reach Armor.)
-Costume may have inaccuracies in color on Under suits, soft goods, and in Armor paint jobs. Under suit colors or Armor paint job may feature colors or patterns not seen In Game.
-Costume details may be “soft” or not well defined. If all armor or Primary Components are physically present, some details maybe missing or omitted for Tier 1.
-“Polygonal” appearance from use of Pepakura may be present. Armor has not been sanded smooth.
-Visible Seams in Foam Armor may be present.
-3D Printed Items may have minimal or no smoothing or sanding done to print lines.
-Armor may lack a Neck Seal for SPARTANS and ODSTs.
-Armor may have fitting or proportion scaling issues. E.G. Slightly over or under sized pieces.
-SPARTAN Armor Under suits or “Tech Suits” may lack details. Under suits may be plain fabric like Underarmor or “Morphsuits.”
-Weathering, including physical damage, black washes, dirt, grime, and exposed silver paint may be either more or less than depicted In Game or in visual references.
-Armor personalization marks or Graffiti may include non-canon references or images, such as references or symbology from other Fictional Universes, e.g. The Overwatch logo or Fallout’s Brotherhood of Steel.

Tier 2 Guidelines:

-If present In-Game, costume must have a Neck Seal.
-No Manufactures logos are visible on gloves, neck seal/balaclava, or Under suit items.
-Costume may still have inaccuracies in colors or patterns in armor paint schemes, but these items should demonstrate a higher level of fit into the Halo Universe.
-Armored costume under suits will have greater details and be a better match to in game references in material and color selection. For example: SPARTANS will not use camouflage pattern BDUs as their under suit.
-Costume may have paint details or decals that simulate armor graffiti or personalization but they must reference items, groups, or historical incidents that exist within the Halo Universe. For example Phrases such as “Remember Reach” or UNSC or ONI related logos or markings. Generic phrases like “Follow Me” or “Come Get Some” and generic logos like the “Skull and Crossbones,” “Smiley Face”, or Animals are acceptable but references to other Fictional Universes are no longer acceptable for Tier 2.
-Halo 4 and 5 tech suits will attempt to visually replicate details.
-Pepakura pieces have had significant smoothing done.
-Foam pieces have had their seams filled.
-3D Printed pieces have had a high level of sanding and smoothing done.
-SPARTAN Armor sets having Handplates will have physical handplates in the correct shape and style. For Tier 2 repainted "Paintball" padded gloves are not acceptable in place of physical hand armor.

Tier 3 Guidelines:

-Costume must appear to have virtually “Stepped off the screen.”
-Paint Scheme Patterns, Color, and Placement must match references or be able to be replicated in Multiplayer Customization.
-Logos, Symbols, and Personalization appearance and placement must match references or be able to be replicated in Multiplayer Customization. (The 405th Logo or a 405th Regiment Logo in place of an In Game Unit Marker location or Multiplayer Logo/Icon location will be accepted as a special exception.)
- Costume proportions must match In Game appearance and costume must be fitted to the wearer.
-Details must be replicated as close as possible and be present.
-Costumes with Under suit details have had those details recreated either physically by sewing seams in an accurate position, or the use foam, rubber, or leather pieces glued or sewn in place to recreate raised details, or replicate the details by the use of a high quality painted or dye sublimated suit.
-Armor attachment system and any strapping system are not visible.
-Weathering if present in game or in the visual Reference must be replicated in patterns, details, and appearance. For example, A Tier 3 Jorge-052 armor set will have paint chipping, scratches, and visibly weathered armor, whereas a Jorge-052 armor set submitted without any weathering to the armor would be Tier 2.
- “Optional Accessories” like Pouches or ammo bandoliers on characters like ODSTs or Marines that exhibit a variety of placement schemes in Game must be shown to match an in Game reference.
-Individual costumes and costume types will have different Tier 3 Specific Details that must be present. Examples include: “Layered” padding or armor on interior of ODST Thighs, Under suit Details on Halo Reach styled SPARTAN abdominal areas, and the Under suit details on Halo 4 and 5 “Tech Suits.”

Special Categories:

“Mash Up” Costumes

-These are Halo costumes “mashed up” with Pop Culture characters. Examples include “Captain America” SPARTANs or “HALO Kitty.”
-These costumes are only approvable at a Tier 1 Level.
-Popular Culture mash up may be generated by paint scheme or addition of Non-Canon accessories.
-Costume must have a complete Halo Universe costume as a base with all Primary Components of that costume present.
-Additional details must be cosmetic in applications only, so if they were removed the base costume would still be a Deployable Tier 1 costume.

“Mix and Match Armor”

-These are Costumes that mix armor components from across different games or media in a fashion not seen or described in any In-Universe media or references. Examples include Halo 4 armor with Halo Reach Components, such as Halo 4 chest, arm, and leg armor, with a Halo Reach Cod/Posterior armor and Helmet, or use of a Forward Unto Dawn helmet with Halo 3 Mark VI armor.
-These costumes are only approvable at a Tier 1 Level.
-Usage of different armor pieces must be symmetrical, e.g. Both Shins must be from the same game, so as to create a more uniform look.
-Mix of no more than 3 game armor styles.

The Following are the Division Identity Numbers, or DINs, that have been awarded as of [2023-10-22]

Last edited by a moderator:
Deployments will be back up and running as of June 1, 2017. Thank you everyone for your patience!

Does this mean that we need to resubmit for deployment at the start of June or if we already have a form that's on hold, is that still valid? Just asking since I know that there's a couple of us who applied late last year and got trapped in update limbo.

Hey TurboCharizard, I have your application available, however as the images were submitted to the email address (due to restrictions on the applications from the website) I can't see what your suit looks like. Would you be okay with resubmitting your application to us? I'd like to make sure you're deployed correctly :)

Hey TurboCharizard, I have your application available, however as the images were submitted to the email address (due to restrictions on the applications from the website) I can't see what your suit looks like. Would you be okay with resubmitting your application to us? I'd like to make sure you're deployed correctly :)

Sure thing, I have the photos in my profile's media as well but I'll be a trial run of the new application form for you guys.

Just a reminder, in order for your costume to be accurately reviewed, Jack and Mara will need Front, Side, and Back views of your costume.

Something I don't see here or in the Membership FAQ, but is in the Mantle: we need to attend 1 sanctioned event per year to maintain our membership/deployment status.
That being said, is that per calendar year? Because I attended RTX last July and won't deploy again until my local con this November.

Something I don't see here or in the Membership FAQ, but is in the Mantle: we need to attend 1 sanctioned event per year to maintain our membership/deployment status.
That being said, is that per calendar year? Because I attended RTX last July and won't deploy again until my local con this November.

The once per year event attendance is an eventual goal. It is something that we want to do, but like a few other sections of the Mantle, like requiring an RCO to be a Deployed Member, it is not something we are "enforcing" right now. We completely understand that many Regiments are still getting their feet under them and still working to get everyone on board and working together, and as a result not many Regiments have a tremendous amount of event opportunities and more isolated members do not have a lot of people around them with which to do events.

So, while it is not something we are "Enforcing" right now, the goal is that once our Regiments are better populated and our RCOs are active and engaging with their members, we will start to roll out more of the tenets of the Mantle.

hello submitted my application 3 months back :) haven't heard from you guys about status yet. hahaha

hello submitted my application 3 months back :) haven't heard from you guys about status yet. hahaha

Same, mine was about a year ago, things are a bit wonky in the restructure and I'm assuming they'll get to it in due time. For now, kick back, have fun and enjoy this wild 405th ride.

wilsoncai - I apologize for the longer wait, we're working on it.

TurboCharizard - I didn't know you submitted. It's from time before, where there was a different system. I found your application, but it isn't complete. You don't have to submit new application if you don't want to but I'd ask you to send me few photos of your finished costume (best full-body neutral pose shots, detail shots, etc.) and it'll be enough, so I can check it.

To everyone else - if you submitted lately - this summer after the applications were opened again, you're welcome to ask about an update.
(if you submitted an application between June-July and you're still waiting, please contact us)

However, if you submitted about a year ago, please contact us - most likely you'll have to submit photos again (full-body neutral pose front/back/sides, few detail shots also welcome).

Last edited by a moderator:
TurboCharizard - I didn't know you submitted. It's from time before, where there was a different system. I found your application, but it isn't complete. You don't have to submit new application if you don't want to but I'd ask you to send me few photos of your finished costume (best full-body neutral pose shots, detail shots, etc.) and it'll be enough, so I can check it.

I tossed one in around October last year and then one at the start of this year when the new system was announced and uploaded a media album that was linked in one or both of those. Not sure if the link was killed in the transition between the two sites. I'm not super worried about the delay, it's given me time to start working on a 3D printed helmet and a rework of the greaves.

Hello all!

We're caught up with our deployments. Aside from those very recently submitted which are being reviewed, you all should have heard back from us in some capacity. If you have not, please send me a PM as soon as possible. We're noticing that not all messages about deployments have been received. Over the next week or so, I'm going to be contacting all of you who have been deployed over the year to ensure that you have received a response. I'd much rather you hear twice than not at all.

Thanks to all of you who have submitted applications!

Thank you Sierra 107, CommanderPalmer and FANGS for all your hard work in getting this process nailed down. I'm glad that I could be of assistance in helping find a way to break the system :p

You guys rock, don't ever change. S068 signing out.

This thread is more than 4 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back