Deployment FAQ

Discussion in 'News and Updates' started by Sierra 107, May 31, 2017.

1. Sierra 107

Sierra 107 Membership Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Congratulations on building your first Halo costume! You've taken your first step into a larger world. If you wish to delve deeper into your passion, your next step is the Deployment system.

What is Deployment?

Deployment is an optional process where a 405th member may submit their costume for evaluation and sorting into one of three (3) tiers based on the accuracy of their build and it’s fit to the wearer.

Do I have to be Deployed to be a member of the 405th?
    No. Anyone over the age of 13 is free to create an account and join the 405th forums and make use of all the resources found on 405th.com including The Armory regardless of Regimental affiliation or Deployment status. However, you must be over 18 to submit a Deployment application.

Do I have to be Deployed to join a Regiment?
    No. Anyone who has an account with at least 50 posts who has been on the site for 90 days may request to join their local regiment. A completed costume is not a prerequisite to joining a regiment.

What can a non-deployed member do in a Regiment?
    Any Regimental members over the age of 18 may vote in any Regimental election and may be appointed by the Regimental Commanding Officer (RCO) to a Regimental Position such as Regimental Executive Officer (RXO) or Regimental Membership Officer (RMO). Non-Deployed members may attend any event that has not hand any limitations placed on it by Division Command, Regimental Command, or the Event Requester.

There are events that Non-Deployed members can’t do?
    They are very rare, and usually are born out of a specific request for certain characters or based on specific requirements for a High Profile event. These requests or requirements come from the person, organization, or company approaching the 405th asking for our participation in their events. However, if no requests or requirements are given, it is allowed that all Deployed and even non Deployed costumes are free to attend the event. The over whelming majority of 405th events, and the default view on events, is that all costumes are welcome.

If these events are Rare, why is there a Deployment System?
    The deployment system is not designed wholly for event participation. It is also meant as an acknowledgement and celebration of a member’s hard work on their costume as well as an encouragement and goal for new members starting out on their great journey into the costuming world.

What else aren’t Non-Deployed Members allowed to do?
    Aside from the very rare events that are limited to deployed members only, moving forward, the only “restriction” on non-deployed Regimental members is that those who wish to run for the Regimental Commanding Officer position in the yearly election must be a deployed member. Any Regimental Member, deployed or not, may nominate an RCO candidate, vote in the election, and serve in an appointed Command Staff position, but the position of RCO will be limited to Deployed members. This is because these members have demonstrated a dedication to the 405th and their local Regiment, an understanding of the practices and policies of the 405th, and an understanding of the skills needed to create a Halo costume.

What are the Tiers for Deployment?
    Tier 1 is for those that have successfully completed a Halo Universe costume, but might have inaccuracies or have some fitting errors.
    Tier 2 is for those costumes that have achieved a superior level of fit and accuracy, but might still be missing some details.
    Tier 3 is for those costumes that have achieved a level of accuracy and fit that they appear to have stepped right out of the game.

Are there different benefits to each Tier?
    When it comes to Deployment, a Deployed Member is a Deployed member. Within the 405th, higher level Tier members do not have any special permissions, access, or benefits than a lower Tiered member. All three deployment levels fit into the same membership category, “Deployed Member.” The only time the Tier level might come into consideration is if an outside Event Requester specifically asks for certain costumes or places certain requirements for a High Profile event.

Is there a way to keep track of my progress through the Tier system?
    At this time there is no way to keep track, albeit being informed of your deployment status. We have plans to introduce a Deployment Scorecard, which will help you take note of whatever suggestions/help you are given after receiving your Tier ranking. We plan to introduce this sometime before Q3 2017!

What costumes are eligible for Deployment?
    There are two main criteria for a deployable costume:

1. Is it a costume from the Official Halo Universe?
    In order to be deployed, a costume must be from an official Microsoft or 343i source. While this is primarily the games, Graphic Novels, Live Action Productions, Animated Projects, and even some concept art from Official published; Art Books can be considered.

Additionally, the 405th recognizes the partnership with Bungie and later 343 Industries that Rooster Teeth’s Red vs Blue series has had. As such, some variants seen in Red vs Blue but not seen in game, such as Insurrectionist ODSTs, Project Freelancer members and other world characters may be considered for Deployment. Fan art and even art from known Concept Artists that has not been published in an official source or publication is not a basis for deployment. Any concept art must be published by an official source either through Halo media, or on the artists profile on Artstation.

2. The costume must have a visual reference to be compared to and judged against.
    One of the primary aims of Deployment is to celebrate a member’s recreation of a Halo Universe costume. As such, there must be something to compare the finished costume to when determining the accuracy of someone’s build. The visual reference should be of sufficient detail and clarity to accomplish this. This can be achieved via sources such as games, Live action/Animated projects, Graphic novels, and concept art from Novels/Art books.

Additionally, keep in mind that UNSC, Covenant, Forerunner and civilian costumes are eligible for Deployment. Each costume has it's own categories.

What categories are there for costumes?
    There are four categories.
    • Armor,
    • Uniforms,
    • Constructs, and
    • Aliens.
    Could you explain what each category is for?
    Sure!

Armor is for costumes such as Spartans, ODSTs, Marines, Army, Pilots, and Military Police.
    Uniforms is for costumes such as Officers, Scientists, Crew members, and Ceremonial uniforms.
    Constructs is for costumes based on AI characters, such as Cortana, Deja, Roland, and Mendicant Bias.
    Aliens is for costumes such as Elites, Grunts, Prometheans, as well as the Didact and Librarian.

That was a lot to read! So... how do I apply for Deployment?

To send in your Deployment Application, go to our Application Forms page, and click Request Deployment. Please ensure that all details are filled out, and images are attached. We cannot accurately inspect your costume if we can't see it! Ideally, we would like images of your costume to be the front, both sides, and the back if possible.

So it's really that simple?
    Yes, it is! Please note, that as stated before, Deployment is optional, and will not directly affect your experience with the 405th. CommanderPalmer and myself are looking forward to helping you progress further with the 405th!

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  2. FANGS

FANGS Commanding Officer Division Staff

Deployments will be back up and running as of June 1, 2017. Thank you everyone for your patience!

Sierra 107 likes this.
  3. arma358

arma358 PR Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Yay! :D Pretty excited, TBH.

Sierra 107 likes this.
  4. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Does this mean that we need to resubmit for deployment at the start of June or if we already have a form that's on hold, is that still valid? Just asking since I know that there's a couple of us who applied late last year and got trapped in update limbo.

5. FANGS

TurboCharizard likes this.
  6. Sierra 107

Sierra 107 Membership Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Hey TurboCharizard, I have your application available, however as the images were submitted to the email address (due to restrictions on the applications from the website) I can't see what your suit looks like. Would you be okay with resubmitting your application to us? I'd like to make sure you're deployed correctly :)

7. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard

Sure thing, I have the photos in my profile's media as well but I'll be a trial run of the new application form for you guys.

Asgardianhammer likes this.
  8. Cadet

Cadet Executive Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Just a reminder, in order for your costume to be accurately reviewed, Jack and Mara will need Front, Side, and Back views of your costume.

BlazedStarbon and arma358 like this.
  9. Evolver79

Evolver79

I submitted for deployment last September, do I need to resubmit?

10. FANGS

Oh goodness! I do apologize for the delay! Let me look in to see what happened.

11. Evolver79

Evolver79

It's ok. I know it's taken a lot of work to get th process squared away.