Props DFT AR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtdives2424

Division Scheduler and Keeper of Con Lists
Member DIN
S2424
Hey guys, I took a personal break from my M247H build for a bit.....The last section is giving me agida....so this weekend I though " Hey let me work on something else to clear the pallet". I had started a sliced version of the AR like I did w/ my DMR.......but it didn't come out so well. So lets start again ........in EVA foam. I didn't take pictures of the very beginning.....but here is what I do have:

IMG_0712.JPG IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0715.JPG IMG_0716.JPG

Things left to do:

The front end isn't fully glued (I ran out of hot glue)
I have some more detailing to cut in to the top
The barrel and tactical light
A hell of a lot of sanding
Redo of the very front of the rifle....I put one of the pieces in wrong
Painting

I have to say, after building his SMG and M6...I was a bit hesitant to do so as they were a bit on the flimsy side, but this turned out much better than I expected. There is just 1 section in the middle that has the most play in it. Not a real issue but just the only flaw in the whole build I didn't insert any dowels or rods but that is something to consider for the next time. And yes I will build another one of these......

Well I had some time on my hands yesterday......they closed my warehouse for the day due to the weather. I was at a wedding so I was able to stay and enjoy it even more.....along w/ several more glasses of Jack D...........Any way, got the front end glued on....and then did the cuts on the top.....but I didn't think it looked right......the top pieces should not be flush but raised.....add in some craft foam and:

IMG_0719.JPG

Oh boy did that open up a can of worms!!!!......gonna add even more now.....I just have to print out another batch of templates since I threw them out as I completed each section.........now I can really get better depth on each design that I cut in the the foam.....more so than w/ just the cut alone.

And just for fun, a gratuitous shot of Irving and his new toy:......I think he's calling it Freckles.....

IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG

Last edited:
Nice addition with the extra craft foam Dirtdives. I find that a lot of the DFT stuff looks good in photos when painted but is missing some of the detail when in the foamy stage.

Is this a rare image of an unarmoured Dirtbaby? I didn't know that they were allowed out without a costume on!

Nice addition with the extra craft foam Dirtdives. I find that a lot of the DFT stuff looks good in photos when painted but is missing some of the detail when in the foamy stage.

Is this a rare image of an unarmoured Dirtbaby? I didn't know that they were allowed out without a costume on!

Thanks TC, I also find that even though the cuts give it some dimension, nothing beats actual 3D pieces to bring out detail...........T

That's the thing w/ this guy.....If I didn't build it, he won't wear it. He is growing too fast for me to build him a proper suit though. 6 inches in the last year.......I started an ODST for him and 3 months later, it was too small on him.....and he really wants an Emile build.....But I can't afford the time and $$ to build something he'll outgrow in 3-4 months. He's killing me for a suit and he really wants something for this NYCC....which is this October so I don't have all that much time.

which is this October so I don't have all that much time.

IF HE'S OLD ENOUGH TO USE A FOAM RIFLE HE'S OLD ENOUGH TO USE A KNIFE AND LEARN TO BUILD HIS OWN SUIT!

I don't know mang, I'm all about teaching people (kids are little people) how to make things, I've had 8 year old cousins working with my scroll saw and other tools under supervision because they wanted to learn to make cool things like I have on my walls.

Steal away......Tip: the AR could definitely use a hard core center piece. The point between the front grip and the trigger is the smallest and thinnest section (only 3 layers of EVA) and as far as I can tell, the only point w/ wiggle to it. All other sections have extra layers and more reinforcements giving it more stability and rigidity.

Thanks TC, I also find that even though the cuts give it some dimension, nothing beats actual 3D pieces to bring out detail....
FALSE! Maybe i'll send you a small 3D print to let you experience it a bit.
If I left it up to him......he'll never get to it.......
Well, that's exactly why he needs to learn. If he can gain some experience in stuff like that, he'll be better off in the long run. Future employers will recognize a hobby such as this one as a reason to hire him due to his determination and work ethic for things he is passionate about. Either way, it will give you some extra free time, and he'll learn to build stuff.

I don't know dude, having actual greeblies in place to give shadow when lit is pretty awesome. I'll drybrush and shade to further exaggerate the effect still but when lights are on the part in the photobooth or on stage I like to have everything going in my favour to make something pop.

Well, that's exactly why he needs to learn. If he can gain some experience in stuff like that, he'll be better off in the long run. Future employers will recognize a hobby such as this one as a reason to hire him due to his determination and work ethic for things he is passionate about. Either way, it will give you some extra free time, and he'll learn to build stuff.

Not meaning a 3D printed piece.....I'm talking about giving the AR a more 3 dimensional look by adding the craft foam rather than just by cutting the foam and hitting it w/ the heat gun. And as far as Irving goes.....he is passionate about other things......Craft work isn't one of them......give him a suit and he loves it...but build it......not happening. I know my customers........The rest of the dirtbabies are in though.......

I don't know dude, having actual greeblies in place to give shadow when lit is pretty awesome. I'll drybrush and shade to further exaggerate the effect still but when lights are on the part in the photobooth or on stage I like to have everything going in my favour to make something pop.
But this difference is that you could make details with PVC foam, mdf, or whatever you want with a few tools and way less work. You don't have to sand things perfectly smooth, and the effect is the same.

This is awesome. I'm probably going to build the DFT AR next, and I too was looking at where to add craft foam layers. It really works if you want a little more dimension than the scoring. I used the same technique on my DMR.

Great work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back