Duct Tape Mannequin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason 078

The first thing that is necessary, from everywhere I have seen, is to make a duct tape dummy. Well, since I already am a duct tape dummy, I am going to make a mannequin with duct tape. I have never done this before because sintra is relatively simple to form to a body (to an extent). You just heat it in boiling water and push it onto a piece of clothing. Well, with the temperatures necessary to mold the foam, that is not going to be an option.

Materials:
● 4 rolls of duct tape
● Painter’s coverall
● A pair of scissors
● Two pairs of socks
● PVC pipes and fittings
● 20-pounds of poly fill
● One wife to assist
● Three hours

First of all, I am using a painter’s disposable coverall. I do not have any long-sleeve clothing that I am willing to lose and the painter’s coverall provides a good base for the tape. I would like to have found one with a hood, but that was not an option at my local store. So, to protect my neck, I cut the sleeve off of an old BDU t-shirt and used that as a temporary neck seal. I pulled a pair of socks over my hands and feet, over the coverall, to protect my skin and give another base. As I look back on it, I would definitely have worn them under the coverall because the tape didn’t want to attach to it.

72382101.jpg

The first thing you are going to want to do is tape the socks down to prevent them from moving as the tape is wrapped. This is important as duct tape does some very not-nice things to skin. I also taped around the neck seal for the same reason.

Note: please excuse the scruffiness. My face is an energy-saving model and is only shaved when necessary.

34649545.jpg

Due to lack of other hands, there are few photos of the process. However, I can assure you that it was quite interesting. We used 18-inch strips of tape as it is less constrictive than rolling it around the body. However, as you can see, it still does well to show the contours.

After the initial wraps, my wife also taped my wrists and cut my fingers free to hold the tape and help her with the lower body (though I was still immobile). The majority of the tape is horizontal, except for the crotch which is vertical.

82933769.jpg

After an hour and most of my body, being covered, I enjoyed my last little bit of freedom. After this, I would be mummified. Thankfully, Doctor Who was coming on, so I would have more to do than just an impression of Gort. (props to any who get the reference)

The strips of tape over the shoulders are between two and three feet long for stability and support.

29413876.jpg

So, with two full layers of tape over my body, I was almost completely immobile. I could rock back and forth to spin myself, but that was about it. The super hero pose is necessary for the arms to be formed correctly. It also keeps them out of the way and opens the armpit up for upper arm/chest side work.

55146666.jpg

Ah, my buddy and me!

To cut my out, the back was cut down to about the top of the butt and across the back of both shoulders. The arms were cut up the underside of the forearm past the largest muscle bundle there and the legs were cut to nearly the knees (darn my muscular calves).

77064775.jpg

With the dummy out of the tape, it was time to make the internals. First, I made a base that was three times as wide as my stance and as long as my stance was wide. From there, I made a pair of legs that extend to the height of my hip bones and a T that rises to shoulder height.

43720775.jpg

And the stuffing commences. I taped the legs up and put the leg braces in them, stuffing the ankles tight. Then it came to stuffing the calves, knees, and thighs. It took time, but it was not as bad as me being in it.

77046220.jpg

My wife was helping me stuff it too. Well, at least that is what she claimed… these pics look more like she had an ulterior motive… Sorry about the shakiness of the pic, I was laughing very hard.

13432424.jpg

With the stuffing almost done, the rest of the back was taped up and the stuffing became harder. Extra filler was put on top of the shoulder braces and the arms were given a similar treatment to the legs.

In the end, it turned out that one duct tape dummy could make a duct tape mannequin. I guess there is a first time for everything.

70019665.jpg

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering, I am 6’4” (1.93m) tall and tip the scales at 250lbs (113kg). I’ll be making another mannequin every 6 months or so. This is because of my exercise program that has dropped me from 300lbs (136kg) to here since January 1st. The funny thing is that it is called the Spartan workout… appropriate, ain’t it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back