Duke's Custom Reach Suit Pep +photos!! *COMPLETE*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bucket looks so cool......It almost has the coloring of an aged rusted helmet.........something found on some archaeological dig.
Thanks DD! It does look like something that has been un-earthed. :) I use blue, pink and red filler so that I can tell if I'm sanding too much. But, I also think it looks pretty cool too.

PRIMER!!! Do some primer!! Can we get a side-view of your helmet glory? :D
You could also do some foam detailing like @CommanderPalmer is doing.
I will do primer soon and will get that side shot. If you recall, I did foam detailing on pepakura as well with my Prometheus helmet. :p If I do it will be the same as the Cmdr... meaning after I finish it.

I bet covering the whole helmet was a chore. I find spot putty tough to work with in large amounts or large areas. I mean it sands easy I just think it's tough to spread.
I thought it spread pretty well. I use a flexible plastic putty knife about 3/4" wide. The helmet originally looked like plaster. I sanded down the large areas with an orbital sander 60 grit (20 minutes), used files on the hard to get to area (30 minutes), covered it in spot putty (60 minutes), then hand sanded with 320 grit (60 minutes). All in one evening. My fingers hurt, but it wasn't too bad.

Thanks DD! It does look like something that has been un-earthed. :) I use blue, pink and red filler so that I can tell if I'm sanding too much. But, I also think it looks pretty cool too.

I will do primer soon and will get that side shot. If you recall, I did foam detailing on pepakura as well with my Prometheus helmet. :p If I do it will be the same as the Cmdr... meaning after I finish it.

I thought it spread pretty well. I use a flexible plastic putty knife about 3/4" wide. The helmet originally looked like plaster. I sanded down the large areas with an orbital sander 60 grit (20 minutes), used files on the hard to get to area (30 minutes), covered it in spot putty (60 minutes), then hand sanded with 320 grit (60 minutes). All in one evening. My fingers hurt, but it wasn't too bad.
Well, the detailing on your Prometheus helmet wasn't really the same type of detailing. You were making organic shapes with it, this is a little bit different.

Now it's all looking more and more interesting! :D You finally can put more and more parts on which is most exciting I'm sure! :D
And that helmet looks really good! :D

And yep, I agree. Many people use foam on helmets, hell, I've been able to immediately spot foam pieces on helmets that have been cast and sold! :D
It's rather common I'd say and yep I remember the Prometheus helmet - but I don't remember if I ever commented there... o_o It looked great!

And yeah, sanding is always troublesome... I was sanding my helmet like a madman so half of the skin on my finger got removed in the process - not the whole skin to get to flesh, just that outer layer of the skin on top, so the younger and more sensitive skin was there. XD Oh, the joy of sanding. :D

CommanderPalmer - Super exciting to finally put parts on. Definitely noticing what you were talking about being considered with bruising. This stuff is not forgiving.
PS: I wear cheap disposable gloves while sanding. Helps save that first few layers of skin. :cry:

Dirtdives - power tools! *ahuhuho (<---Tim Allen manly sound) I've never been very good at that. :unsure:

little Progress:

Primuur!
20170619_164720_zpsngz6ftmb.jpg

Highlights all the little mistakes. So I'm going to spot putty those. I'm also going to take your advice mblackwell1002 and do the details on the sides of the visor out of foam. I almost lost my cool trying to make them with bondo.

I bought all my paints for the suit too. I'm hoping three cans of each will be enough. Grey Primer, silver hammered for chips, white base, orange secondary and matte clear for sealing. I'll do the weathering with acrylic craft paints.

20170619_165529_zpst86vknos.jpg

Opinion time: What do you guys think of the "orange"? Does it fit with the Halo orange? I didn't want something too bright, but this one almost feels too brown. It will have quite a bit of black and silver weathering.

spartan_male_laser.jpg

Keep in mind this picture has a bit more red in it because of the weapon blast. And it has orange as the primary, whereas mine will be secondary (mainly the shin/knee)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a test with all of your undercoating on a scrap piece first then you can determine if the orange is too bright. Also keep in mind that a darker orange will get even darker looking after weathering.

And if you power tool isn't enough just re-wire it. Hou-hou. LOVE Tool time Tim!!!!!

Dirtdives - Good idea, I'll just paint a piece of cardboard or something.

Update: If anyone is wondering why they got tagged..I just updated the armor file links in my first post and gave credit to the modeler or unfolder whichever was available. The only one I couldn't find in the armory was your Carter helmet Crimmson I feel like it might not of been uploaded because there use to be multiple Carter helmets and they might not have thought there was a need. I can give Art the file if you're okay with it. I feel like yours was quite different than the others and definitely deserves a place for others to see.

I've also updated the links for the materials I am using.

Nice job duke. Helmet is looking snazzy. I too am doing an orange armor is ne one do the builds.... I don't think that orange will be too bright especially after black washing

Edit - sorry didn't mean to attach that file. Thought I deleted it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 236
Good...for you?

Yeah I think foam would help retain your sharp edges as well. I see that rondo makes it easier to coat your helmet, but I notice you aren't really retaining you sharp edges.
you could do lots of foam detailing and take it to the next level.
Lol. I fixed it. Thanks.
Do you mean straight edges? Things made out of metal rarely have sharp edges otherwise they would cut people. Every edge should be rounded. But, the pep process does have difficulty maintaining straight edges, that's what files are for. And thank you for your motivation to do better. At this point though I just want to get it done (without rushing). So any fixes with foam will be done after it has been finished. I just spent an hour last night making those side visor details out of foam and they turned out terrible. Not excited to learn a new medium and buy more tools/supplies. :/

Also, this is something I want to avoid:
And yep, I agree. Many people use foam on helmets, hell, I've been able to immediately spot foam pieces on helmets that have been cast and sold! :D
It's rather common I'd say.
It's that "immediately spot" part that worries me. I'm going through a lot of trouble to make a helmet that is not foam. Yeah, I may get sharper lines, but if it is quickly recognizable as foam then I feel I am negating the work that I'm doing. Down the road if I get a chance to improve my foam-fu then I may pursue it.

Last edited:
Ha I almost said something similar lol *whisper*-- "3D printer " :)
but my novice modeling skills would have a hard time. So I didn't say it lol but......I see that little thing begging to be used for something
Sorry duke just giving ya a hard time ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back