Edmonton Comic and Entertainment Expo: no modified shoes over 1 inch tall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyinPhil

Hey guys! I've started this thread for a couple of reasons. First off, I just wanted to share with the Alberta community that ECEE has banned any custom made (ie:didn't come from the factory that way) shoes with soles over 1" tall.

Secondly, I partially wanted to rant about how absolutely ridiculous it is. They have alienated a good portion of their cosplay community for no reason whatsoever. I am included in this demographic (my halo boots have about 1.5" of padding), and I have been featured in their advertisement video for the last two years. Silly.

Update: the expo staff has made a public post that they are repealing the rule for now, due to the outcry from the cosplay community. I've sent an email to expo staff, and hope to volunteer some time into creating a very transparent policy that hopefully helps everyone out.

Added soles should warrant no negative backlash for attendees who wish to wear a costume with added support/details. I'm glad they're reconsidering their stance on the matter as it makes no sense.

I firmly believe the target they were aiming at was poorly made shoes that opened the Expo up to liability, but didn't really explain it well enough. Super unfortunate. In the first posting, it actually mentioned that it was a venue rule and not theirs. As a community we always need to remember that there is often a lot more to a decision than we have information available to us. A lot of community members handled their outrage with a lot less tact and thought than Phil did so I hope that the Expo takes Phil up on his offer to work with them to come up with a rule that fulfills their insurance requirements/venue obligations while still trying to accommodate the community. It is a delicate balance that only can be achieved with cool heads and calm tongues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back