Elite Feet, Err... Stlits

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is a drawing of what my elite stilts look like, I think it looks more accurate then your standard Stilt design.

DigitigradeEliteStilts.jpg

they are cloven, just like this guy -

halo-2-100537418.jpg

Yes, I'm quite Familiar with these, especially Mr. Bradleys stilts. My Design for the Digitigrade stilts are a little more accurate to the Halo Elite Costumer, Which I hope to be.

Yes, understandable, but wouldn't that just take a minor adjustment, since it'll almost all be covered in padding and "skin."

Theres a bit of a support structure problem..

If you look at the side view you have a vertical strut to help support, however its not shown in see-through in the frontal.

Obviously because of the split in the middle, the strut would not be under the boot at all, rendering the design fairly unsafe/prone to failure depending on the materials/build quality.

EDIT: as well, the angle on the boot looks incredibly steep, at that angle, you would be jamming your toes into the fronts, and would fall over. thats why most of the other legs you see are a lot taller, so that they can lower the angle the wearer's feet have to be at.

Obviously because of the split in the middle, the strut would not be under the boot at all, rendering the design fairly unsafe/prone to failure depending on the materials/build quality.

I have made these and while they are hard at first, I can walk around pretty unimpeded,and that was before I added the support Struts.

I agree on the reliability of the woodworking, As I'm not very a good carpenter. But Maybe if I coat the base and any other "join point"

with fiber glass resin and cloth, I hope that will give me the durability that I need.

EDIT: as well, the angle on the boot looks incredibly steep, at that angle, you would be jamming your toes into the fronts, and would fall over. thats why most of the other legs you see are a lot taller, so that they can lower the angle the wearer's feet have to be at.

As for the steep angle (the drawing is a little off, in real life it is a 45 degree angle) I used a old roller skate plastic boot thing and I cut the front off because my feet wouldn't fit otherwise. but Now that it is cut off there is only a minor discomfort on the top of my foot, caused by the pressure of my body weight, but that is easily remedied by the application of padding.

Even if it is only 45 degrees you won't be able to stand up very long. Not only will it be very uncomfortable, but it also puts your weight on all the wrong muscles. You would have to train in order to wear it. Probably would still fall from time to time.

Watch it.

as long as your pelvis is centered above the point of contact with the ground, then no major problems should arise

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan-124 said:
Watch it.

as long as your pelvis is centered above the point of contact with the ground, then no major problems should arise

Looking at the video, I can see your point.

I neglected to factor in ankle bend.

As far as your model goes, it looks like it could work out pretty nicely if constructed in the correct way.

TeaMonster said:
Hi Spartan-124,

Looking forward to your progress on this project, this might help:

http://www.wetanz.com/wetalegs/

Weta have made some legs, watch the vids and check out the user manual.

Might give you some useful tips, points to consider.

Best of luck :)

$945 USD. Woaahhhh.

I like this thread, been a while since someone has tackled this. Drakku was the last one.

Thank you guys for the comments,

about Drakku, What happened to her? She was making very good progress. Then she kinda dropped off the radar.

I finished pepping the Elite Head. I'm going to try to harden it with truck bed hardener. Not resin, because I was bored one day and saw the pep for the HD Elite head and the only thing I had was regular printer paper, yeah I know regular printer paper is the devil in the eyes of the 405th, but I wanted to give it a try.

I thought if I pep it resin it and reinforce it then It might make a cool trophy, you know like the deer? But Then I thought that would make one awsome costume for the reach release.

So I'm going to harden it and then spray the outside with expanding foam, then sculpt. and install the wire animitronics. then Move onto the legs and adding cushion foam and latex for the digitigrade look.

any tips? I've no Idea where to buy Latex paint that I can paint over cloth to form a realistic skin. ( Know its going to be hot, but I'll install fans and whatnot), plus I'm no stranger to hot, double-header football practice in full gear, for almost 8 hours...yeah it gets hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back