Fallout Veteran Ranger first build finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzD

So I finished my first full costume, and it turned out relatively well, I think. It was definitely a learning experience. The build time was 2 months, had to have it ready for dragon*con next week. I learned a lot from what Kommissar and others had done before me in putting this together.

Because of the crunch time and this being my first build, I didn't get very many progress shots but I'll show a few wip pics and a couple final shots so it's not too pic heavy.

The mask was built from the file provided by Hugh.
6082932232_f44cfc42bd.jpg

Also, hand sanding bondo takes forever...

Here's the mostly finished version of the helmet/mask
6082391831_4ef181b28d.jpg

6082932810_723bcbf7f6.jpg

6082392307_fe5fa705fb.jpg

I installed EL wire around the lenses in the mask to get the glow effect.
6082391649_38fb5561db.jpg

And here's the final costume
6082392431_25677c694e.jpg

6082933340_f3d824636a.jpg

There are lots of little mistakes I made along the way, but nothing that I feel killed the build. I still need to find a better way to cover my neck, as I placed the neck guard on the armor a bit low. I also had bent in the sides of the mask to give it a better fit, but I completely forgot that I wouldn't be able to fit my head up through it anymore...so now instead of having a nice helmet I can pop on and off, it's a two stage operation to get the thing on >.<

Anyway, thanks for looking, and be gentle, it's my first build! :)

-AzD

It just occurred to me that I didn't give any of the specifics of the build.

The helmet was papercraft and I used the smooth-cast 320/321 method to harden it. I used bondo for smoothing and apoxie-sculpt for building up ridges and detailing. Hoses and wires were found items and the antenna is probably easily recognized as an antenna from a wireless router. I installed a small computer fan in the side canister to push some fresh air to my face, because it feels like 300 degrees inside that mask. I'm not sure how long I'll actually be able to wear it in Atlanta =P

The armor was made from foam floor mats I picked up at walmart, sprayed with plasti-dip and painted with some gunmetal paint that ended up strangely close to the original foam color >.<

The duster, boots and holster were used items I picked up on ebay.

This looks fantastic! Very well done. Are you going to post up more pictures? ^^
I've been trying to ebay a duster for my own build..i've looked everywhere and can't find a good looking brown one made of a decent material..
Could you maybe point me in the direction where you got yours? ^^
Also that helmet looks brilliant! Is that from pep? Or is that a military/army helmet?

-Phi

Looks great. Love detailing and lighting effects. Paint came out looking great too.

Thanks much :) I'll post a link to my flickr after D*Con next weekend, hope to have a lot more pictures up then. I didn't want to overload the thread with pictures, not sure how they feel about that.

The duster was an Australian Outback oilskin that I picked up on ebay for US$40. It's pretty solid material, meant for outdoors type stuff. Luckily the one I got looked a bit roughed up because I imagine it would've been a task to rough it up myself. I just put holes here and there with a wood burner.

I followed what Kommissar did with the helmet, it's an old m1 military helmet fiberglass liner with the brim sawed off. Which, I'm not sure how he did it, but his picture made it look way easier than it actually was >.<

Good job man!
i got your PM about the project, turned out really well!!

i would suggest you make/buy some kind of spandex hood/balaclava with a long neck (i bought one and had some extra spandex sewn onto it to have it extend downwards) to hide you hair and neck more. otherwise you done a great job!
can you take a shot of the inside to show how you rigged up the EL wire?

i'm sad i'm missing out on Dragon*con, i'd love to take my NCR ranger with me to that

I only bumped into one other ranger during D*Con. Not 100% on whose it was though.

6121574941_cf7c34f85e.jpg

I'll post some more pictures once I sift through them all.

Also @Kommissar, the lights weren't anything special, I had just glued the EL wire around the edges of the lenses >.<

This is a pretty amazing first build! I've never done a build before, but I did stumble across Hugh's pep file for the helmet, finished the paper part in three days...
Hope to see more of this.

hey, i didn't knwo this build was on here, I'm pretty sure sifting though google before and seeing your build and another one is what made me want to make veteran ranger. mine isn't even finished yet though lol :/ but good job, and go rangers. I've seen that girls custome on cosplay.com or google, i can't remember haha.

Nice job! :D Check out my project (Link in Signature)

*edit

it would be epic if we all who has made a fallout costume could to go to the same con, sadly i dont live in america, so im going to cry, brb

Another fellow Ranger...8 months later

Sweet build dude, I believe I was the other Ranger you ran into at D*C last year. I definitely remember talking to you (while I was out of costume) and checking out your mask and helmet. Are you coming back with your Ranger costume this year AzD?

I started building mine (which was also my first build) literally a week after Dragon*Con in 2010. After I planned it all out and bought a majority of supplies, my career got in the way and I didn't pick it back up until about a month before the con in 2011. At this time my wife was pregnant with triplets so I was not able to give it the attention I wanted. However, I felt like it turned out pretty good for my first build. My triplets were born a week after the 2011 Con so I never got around to posting mine and I never took very many pictures.
I'm really glad to see so many others building this costume.
Here's my cosplay.com profile w/ my Ranger costume: http://www.cosplay.com/costume/414867/
I've started to make some modifications to improve mine for Dragon*Con this year and seeing the others pop up is giving me a lot of motivation. I plan to post some WIP pics from my build last yr and my mods this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back