Foam board building

Status
Not open for further replies.

IshidaRyusei

Jr Member
Hi everyone! So i'm new to the group and recently got back into halo after 10 years of being away from it. I can't wait to start contributing to the community with my own builds and projects but moving on; I recently procured 2 very large sheets of foam board from my school's supply swap and wanted to know what would be feasible to make with it. I know it's too rigid for armor builds and the last time I used the material I made a sword but I don't really want to jump into making an energy sword just yet. I'm contemplating a standard assault rifle as we see in the games but I wanted to know what would be your recommendations as a group for someone with minimal experience using the material? It's great for sturdy props that are fairly light weight and I don't want to go into crazy detailed pieces just yet but I do want to have a bit of fun and push the boundaries a bit with my limitations. Would an assault rifle be a good basic build for a beginner or are there better models out there that I should be looking at? I'm not super experienced with guns so I apologize if it's a bit cringe-worthy to read my post.

Hi Ishida and welcome to the 405th! I would recommend looking for "sliced files" in the file archive. These templates for sliced weapons will allow you to stack the foam up layer by layer and then carve out the details to your own liking.

Welcome to the 405th!

As duke suggested, try some sliced weapons. This thread has several sliced weapons ready to download, print, and go. There are some in the archive as well, but I found that thread to be most helpful in finding sliced items quickly. The links take you to 4shared to download, but so far I think all of them worked.

Can't wait to see what you build.

Thanks for the links guys! I'll give them a look and see what catches my eye. Hopefully I can start work within the next couple of weeks seeing as college just let out for the next four months.

I'm going to need to download the pepakura program for these aren't I? ^^"

Yes. There are many text and video tutorials on using pepakura. Basically, you'll need a non-Mac computer, you'll scale the file to the size you want. Print it out on paper that you can then use as a template for your foam board.

There are other uses for FB too. Dirtdives made a pretty sick samurai costume out of the stuff. Here's a link if you'd like to see www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46582

Future reference: If no one has replied to your last post and it's still the same day, go ahead and edit your post rather than creating another. Also, if it's your thread, click the quote button for the person(s) you're talking to that way they know to come back and check it out. :p

Great luck and I'll look forward to seeing what weapon you choose!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. There are many text and video tutorials on using pepakura. Basically, you'll need a non-Mac computer, you'll scale the file to the size you want. Print it out on paper that you can then use as a template for your foam board.

There are other uses for FB too. Dirtdives made a pretty sick samurai costume out of the stuff. Here's a link if you'd like to see www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46582

Future reference: If no one has replied to your last post and it's still the same day, go ahead and edit your post rather than creating another. Also, if it's your thread, click the quote button for the person(s) you're talking to that way they know to come back and check it out. :p

Great luck and I'll look forward to seeing what weapon you choose!

Thanks for the tips! I try not to double post often. And I didn't know you could bend foam board, I've always found it too rigid to make armour. I've only ever used craft foam to do a simple breastplate for my Asuna cosplay so this does make for some interesting possibilities :D

IshidaRyusei I've been working w/ foam-board for many years and have used it in more way than I can remember but yes. FB can be bent to a certain degree. Welcome to the 405th and to foam-board 101!!!. I did try to build the low rez MC helmet from Gamescanner (Can't find the link) and I had to put it to the side because of sizing and angle issues.....I think it can be done but it will take a lot more time.......A LOT MORE TIME......

IMG-20151117-00996.jpgIMG-20151118-00999.jpg

I did start w/ the sliced Light Rifle in FB from Zoogami Studios.

IMG-20151125-01007.jpgIMG-20151122-01003.jpgIMG-20151122-01004.jpg

But because I really wasn't taking my time, I rush it and the pieces ended up either too small or too big and It would take too much time to correct. I left that one to the side for the time being as well but will get back to it as soon as I can. If you are looking to do a FB weapon...this is the one to start w/. Take your time........get proper measurements........test pieces for fittings........Just do it......(I sound like a Nike commercial). After I finished w/ my Samurai armor I really believe that building a full suit is possible.......it would take a huge amount of time because FB doesn't fold.And you also can't treat it like EVA foam....it doesn't have that kind of give.....So I found that almost each fold needs to be cut, beveled and then attached to the next piece w/ tape (Masking or painters) until the whole armor section your building is together. Otherwise, if you glue pieces you might not have the correct angle...which is what happened to me....My MC helmet turned in to a midevil torture device. Once all the pieces are pre attached, then a permanent attachment can begin......glue stick after glue stick.....Fun, fun fun.......Let me know if you need any help......I would be happy to pass on any tips and tricks I can.

IshidaRyusei I've been working w/ foam-board for many years and have used it in more way than I can remember but yes. FB can be bent to a certain degree. Welcome to the 405th and to foam-board 101!!!. I did try to build the low rez MC helmet from Gamescanner (Can't find the link) and I had to put it to the side because of sizing and angle issues.....I think it can be done but it will take a lot more time.......A LOT MORE TIME......

View attachment 26493View attachment 26494

I did start w/ the sliced Light Rifle in FB from Zoogami Studios.

View attachment 26495View attachment 26496View attachment 26497

But because I really wasn't taking my time, I rush it and the pieces ended up either too small or too big and It would take too much time to correct. I left that one to the side for the time being as well but will get back to it as soon as I can. If you are looking to do a FB weapon...this is the one to start w/. Take your time........get proper measurements........test pieces for fittings........Just do it......(I sound like a Nike commercial). After I finished w/ my Samurai armor I really believe that building a full suit is possible.......it would take a huge amount of time because FB doesn't fold.And you also can't treat it like EVA foam....it doesn't have that kind of give.....So I found that almost each fold needs to be cut, beveled and then attached to the next piece w/ tape (Masking or painters) until the whole armor section your building is together. Otherwise, if you glue pieces you might not have the correct angle...which is what happened to me....My MC helmet turned in to a midevil torture device. Once all the pieces are pre attached, then a permanent attachment can begin......glue stick after glue stick.....Fun, fun fun.......Let me know if you need any help......I would be happy to pass on any tips and tricks I can.

Thanks! I don't think it's impossible but it is time-consuming. Last time I used the stuff was to make Lambent Light and Elucidator from SAO what I'd done for that was draw a template for a base part, transfer it to the board twice and made about 4 layers of sandwiched fb that was modified depending on the details each layer required. in the middle of the layers we put a thin wood board to give extra durability. It was all attached using epoxy and left to dry over night. Final steps afterwards was papier-mache, sanding and then paint. My armour builds will likely be a mix of foam and worbla (if I can afford it). I like foam board but mostly for props as it's lighter.

I've made a decision to use L3X's MA5C slice but I'll be doing a test with pepakura before I go into the real deal.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck and be sure to post pics as you progress. Even pics of test build(s) can help others who want to try the same.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck and be sure to post pics as you progress. Even pics of test build(s) can help others who want to try the same.
Thanks! I will definitely be posting photos of my mock up build. I'm looking forwards to seeing how this turns out and what possibilities it leaves for future builds.

Good choice....Sorry for the delay in replying.....out for the holiday........looking forward to seeing someone else using my favorite building material......

Is there another term that I should be using to find out how to create a sliced model? After searching for days, I've been unable to find out how to take a model from .obj, slice it into 5mm layers, and print out the templates on paper so that I can cut the foamboard or cardboard layers. Please save the remainder of my sanity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back