Halo 3 Naval Pilot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sturmwulfe

Hey, it's me again! Been working a lot on my Naval Pilot from Halo 3, and I basically finished it all today! This picture is from earlier today, when I'd only finished strapping some pieces :) Going to Comic Con Copenhagen this saturday so if anyone sees me feel free to gimme a poke!
More pictures coming tomorrow when I can bother to suit up again ;)
baVtyLB.jpg

Nice job completing it! I think completing a task that is so demanding is one of the best feelings. I can't wait to see more pictures of your suit! I won't be at Comic Con Copenhagen but I hope you have tons of fun.

Awesome love to see more photos and especially the helmet i don't think i've seen many Halo 3 pilot builds :D

I'm gonna keep all updates for this suit in this thread, so here come some pictures from Comic Con Copenhagen! Had a good time, though the con was kinda crap with not a lot to do.
mms_20160924_151454.jpgmms_20160924_151424.jpg
mms_20160924_151432.jpgmms_20160924_151440.jpg
Now, until SciFiWorld Malmö in February 2017, I'm going to focus on upgrading this suit as much as possible. Things that are planned are:

Better paintjob

More battledamage done with a dremel

Filling the seams with paperclay

Making a mirrored visor, which I already have the materials for.

Now, the only thing I ask is that if anyone was at Comic Con Copenhagen and took pictures of me, please upload them in this thread so I have some stuff to save! Thanks! <3

Update woooh! Did some seam filling today with paper clay, which I will let dry so I can start sanding it tomorrow with my dremel, either before work or after work :) Gonna work a bit on my backpiece the coming week, I believe.
DSC_0043.JPG

Great job, Marine!

The UNSC is proud of you.

Also, interesting. Paper clay? How did it work out?
From experience I know paper clay is quite brittle and heavy, did it work out for you?

[MENTION]Sturmwulfe[/MENTION] how did the clay work out? I recently used air dry clay on my Flood project and had an issue with surface cracking after a few days, have you encountered anything similar when using yours as spot filler?

Thank you for the kind words! Paper clay is working surprisingly well, and I expect sealing it with plastidip will make it quite durable! Will come back to you once it's all done and sanded down. :)

Update: Paper clay does not react well to sanding. Falls apart really easily and whatnot, blegh. Gonna try using some fine spackle instead :)

I tried using spackle . It tends to dry out and get crumbly (although this may be because I had a delay between sanding it and doing my sealing).

I found that Kwik Seal worked the best for gap filling (and smooth cast, but that stuff is just a pain).

"I don't know what is weirder - that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing." - Suzie

Being a part time handyman....I can tell you that Spackle is great.......for your walls. Something that isn't moving around.....For armor, even for fiberglassed pieces, I would avoid it. It has no give and has the same PSI strength of Plaster of Paris.about 5,000 PSI which is pretty weak... Kwik Seal or DAP painter's caulk would be best. Harder to sand....yes. Easy to crack....no. Will it conceal the seams....very much yes. Just make sure to get the paintable flavor or your paint job will be a runny mess.

Hm, Kwik Seal. Gonna have to see if I can find that over here :)

It doesn't necessarily have to be KwikSeal either, any flexible caulk should do the trick for foam armour. It's just a matter of some of them being better for sanding than others. If the one you find doesn't sand well, just use a wet finger or blade to smooth it into the gap you're filling as you would when applying caulk normally.

Well Dirtdives, I don't exactly have the money to wash out on the incredibly expensive shipping to Sweden. I know it can be found on amazon, but why would I spend more money on shipping than on the actual product when I can find something similar in a shop down the road?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just offering a suggestion......Put your money where you deem the best place. I do the same. If I find what I need in a shop rather than online.......don't know where you are geographically, that's all.

Hey! If you find anything here in Sweden to fill seams - Make sure you let me know. I've been looking for methods to fill the seams on my ODST.
Also, great job on your costume. I also wanted to know what type of material you used for the visor. I bought Biltemas 2mm plastic glass but I haven't found any good ways to cut it yet. I don't have the right "bits" for my dremel, but I have tried using a sawblade. It did work, but I held the glass so hard that I broke it after like 15 minutes of sawing. Also, what method are you using to make the mirrored visor? Haven't gotten the time to make mine yet.
Good luck! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back