Halo 3 UNSC Marine: Nov. 9th Deadline!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispychicken49

Well hello everyone! Today I'm right at you with another build of mine! This time it will be completed! In fact it has a deadline, November 9th. This is Boo-Ball. Boo-Ball is a thing where our high-school band gets to dress-up for a football game, so I'm going to be a Halo 3 styled UNSC Marine, with longish hair. So far I have a shoulder pad pepped! (Yay!) Before I go onto the pics, I want you all to see who I met at Target today.

8140453790_e5fc4336c5_z.jpg
Spartan striking a pose!

8140420109_52ab91313d_z.jpg
Me and said Spartan, maybe I'll see him tomorrow!

Now, after about four to five hours of work I will present you my shoulder plating!

8140417263_69fb9ef77e_z.jpg

8140450468_d04dd57e34_z.jpg

8140451138_d1f0f30da1_z.jpg

8140419859_fb6441c70d_z.jpg

8140451910_26bd0722fd_z.jpg

Now what I'm wondering, is many things. First off, is that cross-brace there to keep it snug on my shoulder, or to keep it from warping during the resining? Second, should I just do a mold of the shoulder piece or another pep? Which would be faster? Third, should I move on to the Chest or the Legs next?

Thank you everyone!

PS: I believe that Spartan above may be a member here, he has many undersuit techniques I've seen created here by users. (Plungers for one) If anyone knows who this Spartan is, I'd like to share that knowledge.

Compare this to your current shoulder, it ought to answer your questions. :3
7516A76254C32D03DA00FF421E553DB6.jpg

Well, I ran out of Cardstock printing the chest piece, only to realize that for some reason it never had Edge ID's. So I guess I'm done for now. Should I try and print a Halo CE Marine chest piece and combine them into a hybrid trooper?

Totally off topic I know, BUT that blue spartan! I've been wondering who he was since I met him in June, don't know if you saw his face, but I do believe this is him

2eoa51v.jpg

aside from that, pretty good start man, can't wait to see this turn out

nov9th isn't too far away. Pep is great but time consuming, I would suggest getting some 24x24" packs of floor mats for $15 or so, check harbor freight. foam and a $9 hot glue gun goes much faster, I completed my son's costume in 4 days.
do your work in front of a computer, remove the tabs and you basically have templates for foam. The thickness of the foam eliminates many of the small angled paper/Pep pieces too

I used the CE halo chest piece, which was much more simple in design. I attached it to the backplate with black velcro straps.

good luck

Sadly nowhere near me sells EVA foam, so I'm going with pep this time. (Next build will be pep-foam hybrid)

So I'm making the CE chest, much easier since it's lower poly. I bought a glue gun yesterday, does anybody have good glueing tips for the flaps? It seems to cure in about 3 seconds, so I have to be quick, and my tests have come out a little wrong, so does anyone have any pep-glueing pointers?

Gluing Tips:

1) Glue the flaps to the INSIDE! I made the mistake of gluing some flaps to the outside once... Took me forever to sand them down.
2) MAN MODE! Hold the flap down so it doesn't slide. It will only hurt for a couple of seconds :p
3) Less isn't more, it's less. But less is still better. The less glue that oozes out, the less you'll have to peel off or <shudder> sand down.

Gluing Tips:

1) Glue the flaps to the INSIDE! I made the mistake of gluing some flaps to the outside once... Took me forever to sand them down.
2) MAN MODE! Hold the flap down so it doesn't slide. It will only hurt for a couple of seconds :p
3) Less isn't more, it's less. But less is still better. The less glue that oozes out, the less you'll have to peel off or <shudder> sand down.

Thanks!

So, after about five hours straight cutting, I've finally finished cutting out all the pieces. I'm on overdrive. I'm hoping to finish the chest on Saturday, and Resin it and the Shoulder on Sunday, while the resin is drying build the second shoulder. Then on Monday I'll resin it. Tuesday I'll play Halo 4, Wednesday I'll paint! Thursday I can finish painting and have my armor ready for Friday afternoon!

No Helmet or leg armor cause we have to sit in very close proximity so I want a little room. Then I'll finish the rest of the armor nice and slow adding in electronics afterwards. Wish me luck! I'm going into overdrive mode!

Well, I got done with the Chest. One day late. Picked up some resin though so I'll take care of that tomorrow, while it's drying I'll do the second shoulder and be done with that. Hopefully Wednesday I'll get some camo pants and shirt. Does anyone have any tips for splitting the chest? With a dremel and without? Now, onto the pics!

8156213309_feb797f807_z.jpg

8156212423_bc2b9734e8_z.jpg

8156211333_87f842e54b_z.jpg

8156210269_1db1dc09e7_z.jpg

8156241372_19c0dd9bce_z.jpg

That backplate was a pain to glue. Four separate parts for one piece.

Nice work! It looks like the chest is a low-res file, though. Once you get past your deadline, are you planning on making a high-res one?

Just put my first layer of Resin on. No pics cause it's dark, but I worked outside with a respirator and organic vapor cartridges but I could still smell the odor, and it was slightly strong. Should I be worried?

Did you seal check the respirator?

Also when I use hot glue, as a rule I only do 3 flaps at a time, that's about all the time you get. This method Is slow but the results is lovely.

Well, my deadline came. Unfortunately the air was too cool, or I didn't use enough hardener, or both, and my piece wasn't finished in time. Plus it kinda failed in the hot glue department... So, with ten minutes to go, I made a quick punk rock costume and went! Unfortunately I'm taking a break to build up my skills and figure out my respirator issue, so for now this build is on pause. I do have something planned for next year, and maybe even comic-con. Hopefully it will be good! (And finished... For once.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back