Halo Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

DatedRhyme713

Jr Member
Good Evening everyone

Im going away on work in a few days time and will be traveling about 5 days there and 5 back about 5 hours a day its kind of a trip down to Film cool stuff for work
I need audio books and Ebooks I know there are halo books but I'm not sure where to start can anyone recommend me some of the books for me to read
Preferably through the Apple store or the Amazon store either are good

Thanks everyone

I am presently reading them in order of release.

Starts with The Fall of Reach.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Depends on what you're interested in reading.

Origins of Spartans? Fall of Reach.
Any stories of what happened during Human-Covenant war and between the Covenant Trilogy Games? Again, Fall of Reach, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, etc.

Forerunner time, before Halo Array was fired? Forerunner trilogy - Cryptum, etc.

What happened after the war? Hunters in the Dark, New Blood, Last Light, Shadow of Intent, etc.

Of course, there is Kilo Five Trilogy and more novels.

Depends on what you want to read - I'd recommend looking online, there are seriously plenty of books telling different stories about different characters and times.

Start with the original trilogy - The Fall of Reach, The Flood and First Strike. After that, you can read the books in any order, but personally, I'd suggest Ghosts of Onyx, then Contact: Harvest. Following that, the books sort of fall off in quality somewhat, so you can pick and choose from there, but the aforementioned books are pretty much agreed upon being essential first-time reading.

Kilo-5 Trilogy (Karen Traviss' work) can be pretty much ignored. The Forerunner Trilogy is good as a stand-alone sci-fi series, but I choose to ignore it having any relevance to the Halo series. I haven't had any experience with 'recent' novels, however.

Start with the original trilogy - The Fall of Reach, The Flood and First Strike. After that, you can read the books in any order, but personally, I'd suggest Ghosts of Onyx, then Contact: Harvest. Following that, the books sort of fall off in quality somewhat, so you can pick and choose from there, but the aforementioned books are pretty much agreed upon being essential first-time reading.

Kilo-5 Trilogy (Karen Traviss' work) can be pretty much ignored. The Forerunner Trilogy is good as a stand-alone sci-fi series, but I choose to ignore it having any relevance to the Halo series. I haven't had any experience with 'recent' novels, however.

Agreed. A lot of the post-war era novels, especially the Karen Traviss novels, read more like political thrillers than the sci-fi action favored in the older ones. That said, I really enjoyed New Blood. That's the one about how Buck and what's left of Alpha Nine become Spartan IVs. It's relatively short too, so it's a nice casual read.

Seems like i'm the only one who absolutely loved the K. Traviss books eh?

They're not bad books - just bad Halo books. I get the feeling that Traviss inserted a lot of Halsey-hatred simply for the sake of it, and she wrote some of the more established, recurring characters very poorly. It almost seems as though she only took a passing glance at some of the superior novels in the series to scrape together a semblance of the characters she was writing, and then went ahead and disregarded a lot of what made those characters special and easy to relate to.

Even the characters she herself crafted weren't really easy to like or empathise with.

One of the reasons I loved the original trilogy and the original line up of novels was how it had an optimistic outlook on humanity. But the 343 trilogy and the new novels, especially the Kilo 5 novels, have just injected so much toxicity into humanity's story, it's easy to lose interest. You'd think being brought to the brink of annihilation would provide a species with some humility. And like Chernobyl pointed out, the amount of "Halsey-hatred" completely changed her character. And as annoying as that is, I wouldn't have minded so much if it was isolated to the novels, but the fact that it's spilled over into the games is really annoying. I think they took the brief interaction you have with her in Reach and just ran with it, context be damned.

I reccomend starting with Fall of Reach, Flood, etc in the previously mentioned order as well as giving Cryptum a read. I'm making my way through Silentium and First Strike right now, I accidentally skipped Primordium by mistake but the Forerunner trilogy gives some interesting insight into the Didact and the Forerunner-Flood war/ culture of the forerunners. I also like the perspective... Very good if you're one for first person novels and writing styles.

Dont forget Halo Evolutions. Lots of good short stories in there. The audio book even has Jen Taylor narrating a Cortana story!

I liked the first Karen travis novel but quickly started to hate them due to how much Halsey hatred. if you want a "side story" I would suggest The Cole Protocol. after the original trilogy it is my favorite novel, followed closely by Ghosts of Onyx.

Start with Harvest. It kind of gives you a lead into things. It really doesn't matter which order you read them in if you know the story line. I found it better to bounce around with the books. It gave me more of a feeling like I was coming across new bits of information from different spartans or marines of stories and tales. Like and ONI agent gathering data here and there to make a grand picture. I would recommend reading them too. Audio books you can kind of lose your focus and miss something if you aren't paying attention. Reading them will really make you feel more into each story line. I hope this helped.

Mike

My favorite is the forerunner series, it clears up a lot. I found them to sad after I read all of them and realized what had happened. The origins comes a distant second for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back