HALO: Reach Custom MK V (B) Scratchbuild *Pic Heavy*

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

Hey 405th!

I've been very active lately, very busy with HALO costuming this past week. Today, (Friday the 8[SUP]th[/SUP]) I had a sick-day and, much like the day I built [the cardboard parts of] my M6G, I felt like having a go at cardboard scratch-building a suit of MJOLNIR armour.

Particular Customizations

Helmet: Operator
Operator.jpg

Shoulders: FJ/PARA
FJ-PARA.png

Current Progress
I only had today and missing time between looking after my baby sister, then my baby sister stealing my tape and then going to sleep holding it. This meant I only built the Bicep pieces and the shoulder pieces. Tomorrow I'll put together more (maybe even the torso!), and trial some materials such as homemade plaster and homemade polymer clay.

Here is a pic of my current progress:
rkd6h1.jpg

It may look rough now but "I'm very proud of it". I've enjoyed this scratch building so far, it feels like it's really my own work (thanks Bungie and 343i for original designs though). What I think will challenge me is the helmet, although it's beyond me how I'm going to scale the torso.

Well, until next time...
This is quick221 signing off!

P.S. I'm going to add titbits of back-story. Next update: Early years

Attachments

• rkd6h1.jpg
    rkd6h1.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 345
seems like a nice project to me, and cardboard is cheap and everywhere, so, keep going!
I agree the helmet part can be quire hard to do, I advise tou take the time to think about the proportions and the angles between each pieces, and everything should look good
another method that seems interesting is making a base with cardboard and foam, and put clay on the outside to carve precisely each details, like the helmet of yngol from volpin props:
the way to make it is up to you, good luck and don't forget the safety stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the helmet part can be quite hard to do, I advise you take the time to think about the proportions and the angles between each pieces, and everything should look good
another method that seems interesting is making a base with cardboard and foam, and put clay on the outside to carve precisely each details

Thanks Tetro. Speaking of which (clay), I was planning on doing just that, I'll take a good look at the vid, I saw the Volpin props needler... Awesome.

Update time!

Today all I got done was the handplates and a botched forearm (that I'll use for materials testing at a later date, hopefully tomorrow ;)), this was because while I was out looking for lighting solutions (*ahem* shield emitters) I bought HALO: Combat Evolved Anniversary. When I'd finished the handplates I ran to grab one of my shoulder pieces for a test fitting/photo shoot even with the failed forearm piece, a poorly cropped photo is shown below.

2ekqd1u.jpg

Here is my arm with the bicep piece (I temporarily removed the FJ/PARA attachment), Scale forearm and one of the handplates, which is roughly glued onto my hand.

Below is a picture of a toy helmet I bought a couple of years ago for a now-unknown purpose. I may use it as a sort of base for my scratch-build helmet, which could be a problem considering I want to do the operator variant. Either way, I might rethink my helmet choices, my next favourite is Mark V(A) (Although I'll build the CE version because I don't really like the one from Reach) or maybe the Halo 3 EOD because I like the goggle-esque eyepieces as opposed to a slim visor (cheaper too, haha)

2vigm8i.jpg

Until next time...
This is 221, signing off!

Subject: K-221 | SPARTAN-II Commando
Current Rank: Colonel //REDACTED//
Last Known Location: New Zealand

//SERVICE RECORD//Excerpt 1
In 2511 SPARTAN 221 began and spent the first six years of his life on Arcadia in the capital city, Pirth. From early on he was good firends with one who would eventually become Major Victor Cameron, who he conveniently served with from 2531-present. Later, on the 7/10/2517 Victor recounted what he saw the past night as he'd been present for his sister's abduction for the SPARTAN-II program to which K-221 explained he'd recieved a visit from a woman who called herself Catherine, who said that behind his physical weaknesses there was great hidden strength. That very evening, 221 was abducted and replaced by a flash clone, this clone created suspicion in Victor as he [the clone] did not remember their previous discussion which caused Victor to believe that 221 had been taken as well.

Next time: SPARTAN-II Training

Attachments

• 2vigm8i.jpg
    2vigm8i.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 2ekqd1u.jpg
    2ekqd1u.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 295
if you make the EOD helmet from reach, the visor wouldn't be quite dificult to make as it seems only curved horisontally, which means you can use a soft plastic, like bottle plastic or some writing books cover..
halo_e_o_d_helmet_by_omarpg-d5tedl4.jpg
it you want my opinion you should try to use foam templates on pepakura, I'm pretty sure it can apply to cardboard, and you can make some pretty neat looking stuff like in game. check it here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=33480
if you have pepakura and a printer, it can help you to have a solid in-game like armor base, you'll just have to put the tiny details as screws and stuff!
fot the toy helmet I don't know the size but always check if it fits your head, I had many attempts at making a helmet and ending it beeing too small for me..
keep it up! and good luck

it you want my opinion you should try to use foam templates on pepakura, I'm pretty sure it can apply to cardboard, and you can make some pretty neat looking stuff like in game.

I tried that today and it's so far worked spectacularly well. I've been printing out and half-pepping the templates.

Half Update

Hey 405th!
I've been thinking about an easier alternative to the operator helmet (until I have a better means of building it) and I've made a decision. I'm going to card-build the Halo CE Mark V helmet, an HD version I found in the archive, there is a pic below. I look forward to documenting the process.

2lv06eb.png

Screenshot of the HD Mark V pep model.

Until next time...
221 signing off.

Attachments

• 2lv06eb.png
    2lv06eb.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 723
Loving how you are formatting your posts.

The cardboard is interesting and definitely an old school method.
I'm guessing that you have a lot of spare boxes you can tear down and use for free.
I'm actually using free cardboard myself to develop template pieces before I cut my foam, but I'm using more of cereal box cardbord rather than the packing box type you are.

In terms of helmets, if you are going to go with the Mk. V, I'd suggest that you at least check out the Halo 4 version.
You might like that one better.

I'd also like it if you at least gave foam a chance.
I've written a guide for all the foam supplies you could possibly need and the link for it is in my signature.
There are also several links to foam builds here on the forum within that guide.
Ravarkrian (if I spelled it right) has a particularly cool looking method of scratch building (and there should be a link to his build in the guide).
What he does, if I remember correctly, is a reverse additive manufacturing process.
Most people build everything up out of the gym floor mat EVA and then add details with "Foamies" (craft foam).
He instead, builds a shell out of foamies first, and then adds an inner layer of EVA. The result is definitely cleaner and more detailed than you see from most.

The reason I bring his build up though, is because you might find it easier to follow his kind of process by using foamies since it is somewhat similar in thickness to the cardboard you are using.

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm not saying that using cardboard is a bad thing, I just want to see you be the best that you can be.

Loving how you are formatting your posts.

The cardboard is interesting and definitely an old school method.
I'm guessing that you have a lot of spare boxes you can tear down and use for free.
I'm actually using free cardboard myself to develop template pieces before I cut my foam, but I'm using more of cereal box cardbord rather than the packing box type you are.

In terms of helmets, if you are going to go with the Mk. V, I'd suggest that you at least check out the Halo 4 version.
You might like that one better.

Thanks WandererTJ, I take pride in my posts.
I took a look at the pep file for the H4 version, looks great!

Update time!

Using the pep files designed foam builds, I've been able to make flat paper templates which I then lightly adhere said templates to cardboard and then cut it out. This was fully put to the test on Monday the 11th when I used the paper template I'd made the previous day to trace onto the cardboard. Then I cut out the cardboard shape (with fresh new scissors to replace the pair I broke) and used tape (new masking tape I'd also bought that day) to secure the shape of the piece, in this case the top front of the chest-piece This method was brought to my attention by Tetro after I expressed my concerns with difficulties in relation to the helmet and torso.

On the 23rd I picked up where I left off on monday the 11th and I assembled the rear of the torso!
In the image below you should be able to see the completed rear of the torso piece (missing some minor details) and although it looks quite shabby, I hope to remedy this during the strengthening phase. While building the right section of this piece, I didn't draw the template properly and so a full assembly would've been for naught. I will use this failure to see if plaster will be an effective exterior material... After it sets I'll 'test' it.

2v2ce2t.jpg

On the left is the torso rear

As always, until next time...
221 signing off.

Subject: K-221 | SPARTAN-II Commando
Current Rank: Colonel //REDACTED//
Last Known Location: New Zealand

//SERVICE RECORD//Excerpt 2
The subject began his training on the 09/10/2517 just like the rest of the Class-I SPARTAN-IIs. It was difficult for K-221 as his susceptibility to allergens (pollen, cat dander, moulds and mildew) caused temporary respiratory issues and, coupled with a build that does not allow a fast run speed, it was due to the rash actions of S-117 that he even ate on his first day. Naturally this meant K-221 was at the bottom without any support from his peers. There were times when the other SPARTANs benefited from his heightened learning ability and by extension, intellect. Ultimately, his treatment lead to the development of a rogue personality, teamwork was a lesser evil to K-221. This changed during the Battle of Arcadia of 2531 when he met an ODST he was once good friends with after a long time apart.

Next time: Why K-221 is labeled and numbered as a class-II although training with the class-Is

Attachments

• 2v2ce2t.jpg
    2v2ce2t.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 300
Dum Dum Dum... DOUBLE POST...

Update time!

I began plastering my tester piece. It was a total success!
Below is an image of the piece with it's first layer of ready-mix plaster. I intend to paint it after I've applied the next couple layers and done the sanding. I'll try dry-brush and silver undercoat weathering on different areas of the piece. Below is an image of the work I've got done so far (yet to be sanded).

2wmqfxk.jpg

Colour-Schemes and Logos

For a while I was at a loss as to the colour scheme but now I'm almost sure. A week or so ago I was invited into a HALO:Reach clan called the Atomic SPARTANs. I intend to use this colour scheme for my build along with their logo, which us below:
2rdeter.jpg

Here is a Vanity preview of not just the colour scheme but my intentions as per the armour pieces I want to build for this project. I like this colour scheme because I like the lack and green combo. The main difference between this preview and my true intentions is the helmet, I have to touch one of 343i's creations and use the HALO 4 Mk V(A) helmet. Below right is a graphic showing my progress (in phases) in this build so far. I can't wait to get back from my weekend holiday to keep working on my MJOLNIR Mk V(B). Aside from this, I have renamed the thread "HALO:Reach Cardboard Custom MJOLNIR Mk V(B)".
kdsl1t.png
28ngbm.png

Well... I was going to have a juicy chunk of backstory but Google Chrome decided to vomit and delete all my typing just because I didn't plan this post.

Until next time,
This is 221, signing off.

2wmqfxk.jpg

2rdeter.jpg

kdsl1t.png

28ngbm.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mini-triple-post-micro-update

The plastering technique works so far. The clan I was in recently disbanded so I'm once again at a loss to colour schemes.

Hey folks!

I've almost finished card-building the torso piece. I put it on, its scaled really well. Its a shame I don't have the classic 405th mirror selfie.

Here is a pic or two:
uploadfromtaptalk1433751292399.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1433751321015.jpg

It may look bad now but once I plaster that bad boy it'll be beautiful.

Until next time,
221, signing off.

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

Quick Update:

I'm currently in the process of moving house. This information is relevant because I'll be able to get working right away.

In other news, I'm starting fresh, and with a good colour scheme; Yellow and Violet.

That's all for now so I'll see you all in the next post.

P.S. I may start a new thread as I've got big (new) plans for this armour.

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back