Heat Shaping EVA Foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
How should one go about this? I'm trying to make bracers and Grieves as a starting project but I am not entirely sure as to how to go about bending it so it will keep its' shape and not bending back. Any suggestions?

I lay the foam down on my workbench, then use my heat gun on the highest setting.

You'll notice that it will immediately change colors slightly and develop a sort of shininess to it, this is normal. Use the heat gun to heat up the foam as evenly as you can for about a minute, then flip it over. If your part is small and the heat gun causes it to blow around I like to use a screwdriver and lightly hold it in place.

I typically flip back and forth twice heating up the part for about 1 and a half to 2 min. When I'm done I just pick up the part and hold it in the position I need it to be in. I have not gotten the foam hot enough to where it burns me. It usually only takes about 20 seconds for the part to cool down enough to hold it's shape.

For multiple pieces needing the same curvature I let the part rest between cinder blocks or whatever I have laying around.

Boot1.jpg

Boot2.jpg

In my opinion you should always try to add some sort of heat forming to your parts, whether a complex curve or just a slight bend. It will help ease any tension the material has to snap back to it's original shape and let you move faster through your build.

Good luck!

After I am done shaping it, especially if I had to use a lot of heat, I throw mine in the freezer for a few minutes to cool it down quick. This gives the foam less of a chance to change shape while it is still pretty warm. I did this for an ab plate that needed to curve and it has been sitting on its edges for a couple weeks now and has not returned flat like it would have in the past.

Of course, if you are gluing stuff together right after shaping it, there is no point in doing this since the glue will hold the shape. It is mainly when you need to shape a whole piece and have it stay in that shape when it is not glued to something else.

if you do not have a heat gun try a stove top

But remember to keep it well above the heat source and to not leave it there too long. I used this method and even after less than 10 seconds it started to smoke up a bit. It did not burn it because I pulled it away in time but even on the lowest setting it can get your foam heated up really fast.

I just set my heat on on the bench or table, most will stand up on their end with the nozzle facing up, and pass the piece back and forth over the heat. This allows me to hold the piece as a shape it, and hold it in position as it cools. Just avoid the highest setting. I have two hear guns, one with a 1-10 setting, and mid range on that works well. The other has high and low, and the low setting works just fine. Good luck on your build!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back