I'm Having An Hd Calf Crisis!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liq

I just finished trimming the excess fiberglass off of my hd calf and tried to get it on but my foot wont go past the area the caves in below the calf(circled in red) I tried trimming the front of the piece so my foot would be able to adjust but I still cant get it on, and I mean it barely wont go on. Did I scale this thing too small? I measured the thing a couple times before I made it and the scale was 36.5 cm. I am 5'7" with short legs and a longer body.

halowearohmanno.jpg

Is there some special technique to putting on the shins or did I just screw up and have to start over. It looks like its a good size beside my leg so if I have to redo it I might just add 1.5 cm and go 38, or does that seem big for me? If i have to redo this thing you guys will see a 32 year old man cry. It did seem to fit fine as pep but you know theres always a little give when its just cardstock.

edit...checking dreads link first

Tell me if this sounds stupid... cut it down the sides and use elastic straps hot glued to the sides so it can open up a little and I can get my foot in. If I have another inch or so it will go in.

I have a hard time squeezing my foot through that spot, I trimmed some of the front cuff off the bottom to make it through, but I still need to wear socks so I don't destroy my foot. Getting it off is even more difficult. I'm not really worried about it though, since I'm pretty sure I'm gonna redo my shins to WetOkole/Doc Byte's (not sure who to credit) MD shin rework. This one: http://www.team-sapc.org/WIP/doc/Left Shin_smoothv1.pdo

OK, Ive split the piece and tried hot gluing the elastic strips to the sides. If this doesn't work I'll just cut the strips off. Thanks for the help guys I'm sure I'll come up with something. I imagine I'll have the same issues when I get to the forearms as well.

All the pieces of the armor are both rigid and form fitting. I don't see any of the limb plates except maybe the shoulders not needing to be split. I plan to use fiberglass loops in the areas with extra room and webbing to make each piece fit and stay on. Fair warning: I have not yet tried this. My plan is to use paper formed into a flattened roll for a form to make the loops on.

I got the elastic strips hot glued on and they work good...its still a tad tight taking it off but I got some excess fiberglass catching my sock and I think thats the issue. I will take an idea from Dreadmullets link for the bondo stage and run some tape down the side of the gap I made, and maybe that will tighten it up a bit, but to be honest its not noticeable at all.

I'll put pics up in my WIP thread this week when I finish it, hopefully by Wednesday then its on to the boot.

Again thanks for the help and typical super fast responses guys...I wasn't expecting any input so quickly!

Glad to see things are working out for you! Definetly show us some pics of how you got it to go together with the strapping.I am sure there are many others who would benefit from seeing this done.

Try spinning it different ways and see if there is a certain way your foot will slide down into it...

Robby said:
All the pieces of the armor are both rigid and form fitting. I don't see any of the limb plates except maybe the shoulders not needing to be split. I plan to use fiberglass loops in the areas with extra room and webbing to make each piece fit and stay on. Fair warning: I have not yet tried this. My plan is to use paper formed into a flattened roll for a form to make the loops on.

I don't think the fiberglass would hold up to the stress of pulling and jerking on it too much. I have pulled on my calf piece very hard at the split areas and the hot glue hasn't been phased. I'm expecting the strap to break before the glue gives. I would either go with some type of epoxy or hot glue to hold the elastic straps in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back