It's Finally Time for the Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vetteking95

Hello everyone! My name is Matt, I generally go by Vetteking95 online.

I've been on and off of the 405th as a frequent browser over the past few years, and it boggles my mind how great the props and suits the people here create. It's honestly breathtaking.

After years of wanting to start a build, I think now I could give it my first go, yet I am unsure what to do. Should I start with a Marine, an ODST, or should I give a shot to make a full Spartan? I have no experience building props or costumes, so this is a new field for me. Any suggestions, tips, on how I should go about this, what materials, what I might be looking at in total expenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter Vetteking95

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone! My name is Matt, I generally go by Vetteking95 online.

I've been on and off of the 405th as a frequent browser over the past few years, and it boggles my mind how great the props and suits the people here create. It's honestly breathtaking.

After years of wanting to start a build, I think now I could give it my first go, yet I am unsure what to do. Should I start with a Marine, an ODST, or should I give a shot to make a full Spartan? I have no experience building props or costumes, so this is a new field for me. Any suggestions, tips, on how I should go about this, what materials, what I might be looking at in total expenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Follow me on Instagram and Twitter Vetteking95

I'm also new to this, but i wouldn't let your skill level get in the way. I think the best thing you can do is what you want. Don't underestimate yourself. A lot of these guys started with no experience and end up building fantastic suits. It would also suck to waste a lot of time building something you don't really want as much as something else. I started my very first build a week ago and I'm going for a full Mk VI suit. Do what excites you, and if you need help, all the people on here will be more than happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also new to this, but i wouldn't let your skill level get in the way. I think the best thing you can do is what you want. Don't underestimate yourself. A lot of these guys started with no experience and end up building fantastic suits. It would also suck to waste a lot of time building something you don't really want as much as something else. I started my very first build a week ago and I'm going for a full Mk VI suit. Do what excites you, and if you need help, all the people on here will be more than happy to help.

Thanks! Good luck with your build as well!

I do have a question for those who could answer.

1. What would be the best method of building for a first time builder? Pep, EVA, other? What would you recommend and why?

well you could just start on a spartan and act like its a bunch of small projects or just start out small and work your way bigger

good luck trooper

-noble 10

Well, looks like I failed to attempt anything since my last post here . Finally done at university so I think I'll have some time to make this thing work.

Looking to create a Halo 3 MK VI Sarge. Any advice or the best route to go for maximum detail? Really looking to challenge myself even though it's my first build.

When I was first starting out I did a Pep build. Pepakura is more labor intensive in the long run than foam and comes with it's own challenges. There are more steps to get a Pep model into wearable armor, but it involves lots of little steps that I believe give builders a bigger margin for error. Foam is quicker to build to shape but it requires a little more intuition, especially when it comes to making complex shapes, with Pep you just match numbers and take your time.

To each his own but I was glad I did Pepakura first!!

I'm gonna second Bobby Boucher . Everything he said was spot on with my experience. If you do go foam plan to make 5 or 7 copies of your first piece. I imagine that to be the learning curve. Your later pieces will undoubtedly be better because you will learn as you go. Then once you're happy with your technique launch into the build.

Sarge would be awesome! I'd love to have a voicebox inside filled with his one liners!

*edit- oh and pep requires a lot more work space to make (costic and such), or outside if you have . Foam you can do at a kitchen table.

Last edited:
Welcome back Vetteking95. I 3rd what Bobby Boucher and 2nd what PerniciousDuke said.......:rolleyes:.....Anyway, I went w/ foam for my builds and Pep for the helmets so i know the trials and tribulation of both.....(No comments on the helmet debacle PerniciousDuke thank you).....Foam is a lot easier to work with and with time you can develop a skill set that gets better as you build. That intuition that Bobby Boucher mentioned is spot on. There are no "Paint by numbers" when it comes to foam smithing. I will say that if you are going w/ a more detailed finished piece, pep is the way to go.....not to say you couldn't get amazing detail out of foam.....but that is a skill that you develop later on. It's a matter of preference......also take in to account of the time you have to devote, the funds you want to put in to it and your work space.....peping has a pretty potent smell that would require outdoor access....something some apartments don't have in abundance......but again, not saying it can't be done....

Now that I've made this as clear as mud.......Looking forward to seeing your build.

Pictured. Dirtdives
RawOddballBee-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back