JudgemetDays Reach ODST (WIP + Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had another look at your thread, looks fantastic :) but had a question. How did you do the black outline of all the scored pieces of the ODST armour for your daughter? That looks really awesome and is a really cool idea that I would like to implement into my armour eventually. You made it look really crisp and clean :)

Regards
- JD

That is easy....first you need to paint the base coat of the build.....my daughter's was easy since it was only pink........but regardless of what color schematic you choose, take your outline color, paint it directly into the scored line (use a small painters brush like a 00 or 01) and immediately wipe away any excess paint that escapes outside the scored lines. Work in small sections as the small amount of paint used will dry quickly. Repeat for all scored lines and all armor pieces. It is very time consuming but well worth the effort compared to the end result. The contrast in her suit was so vivid between base coat and trim it made all the other details stand out even more. Now thinking back and looking at her armor....there are areas that I should have scored but left alone as dictated and directed in the videos. It left many places.......bare. Just keep that in mind when you work on yours.

UPDATES :D

Helmet attempt 2:
So after considering all the advice I got back about my helmet, I choose to start again with the templates I found in the armoury, and so far (Its not quite finished) I think it looks so much better.
WP_20170815_07_54_09_Pro.jpg WP_20170815_07_54_14_Pro.jpg WP_20170815_07_54_18_Pro.jpg

Now the only trouble I have had is at the rear of the helmet which I will easily fix by adding in some extra width the the very back of the helmet to be able to fit the top correctly.

All in all, happy with the shape of this helmet and how it has turned out so far, its going to take more time to prep it before painting. Going to have to fix and fill quite a few seams, but that is something that I am willing to do anyway.
WP_20170815_07_54_26_Pro.jpg

Thoughts and opinions on this new Helmet?

Thanks for your time

Regards
- JD

Looks much better. Big improvement form DFT's simplified helmet.
I notice some of your knife cuts are a wee bit rough. Maybe invest in a blade sharpener?
If you have a peak at EvilTed's YouTube vids he usually has links in the description for where he gets his supplies.

Looks much better. Big improvement form DFT's simplified helmet.
I notice some of your knife cuts are a wee bit rough. Maybe invest in a blade sharpener?
If you have a peak at EvilTed's YouTube vids he usually has links in the description for where he gets his supplies.

As for the blade, I do have spare blades, I suppose I dont really notice that it should be time to change the blades and I dont really know when I should change the blades and that probably impacts how the cuts look. Will look at tidying them up when I get the chance

- JD

You'll get used to the signs of a blade going dull. Once you feel the blade having trouble biting in, skipping a bit or you see your cuts not looking not so smooth. It's time to sharpen or change out.

You'll get used to the signs of a blade going dull. Once you feel the blade having trouble biting in, skipping a bit or you see your cuts not looking not so smooth. It's time to sharpen or change out.

Fair enough, Ill just have to retrim some of the worse looking parts haha, cheers for the constant input and support on my thread man :)

- JD

So helmet Mk.II is almost fully complete :D so happy with how it looks so far.

Here is the comparison between Mk.I and Mk.II
WP_20170815_21_54_59_Pro[1].jpg WP_20170815_21_55_19_Pro[1].jpg WP_20170815_21_55_35_Pro[1].jpg

Better shape, better look, more detail, just better in everyway :D (I cant thank you guys enough for your advice)

So one problem that I have encountered with the Mk.II is that the actual helmet is slightly larger than the visor template.
WP_20170815_21_56_26_Pro[1].jpg WP_20170815_21_56_33_Pro[1].jpg

So what would you guys recommend I try to do to create a new template for my visor?
And what would you guys recommend I use for sealing the gaps? I have some paper clay that I have used on other armour pieces, but I am not sure if that is what I want to go with with my helmet.

I only have one sheet of some metallic silver one-way mirrored film to use for a visor and I do not want to waste it without a solid template that will fit into my helmet.

Happy with this progress though :) and always happy to talk to you guys about it

- JD

So what would you guys recommend I try to do to create a new template for my visor?
If the helmet is sturdy enough, and is close enough to the relative dimensions of the template, you can them use those dimensions to rescale the visor. But for something like this, I'd personally just print out another template with another few percent scale, and then use that paper template to see if I need to scale it any more without needing to transfer it to foam.

And what would you guys recommend I use for sealing the gaps? I have some paper clay that I have used on other armour pieces, but I am not sure if that is what I want to go with with my helmet.
With things like this, particularly because the piece isn't going to flex that much (or shouldn't flex that much), you can probably get away with anything that will stick to the foam. However, there have been several instances of people using caulking such as this to fill in gaps: Selleys No More Gaps Coloured Caulk 450g Vanilla

So really, it just depends on personal preference.

If the helmet is sturdy enough, and is close enough to the relative dimensions of the template, you can them use those dimensions to rescale the visor. But for something like this, I'd personally just print out another template with another few percent scale, and then use that paper template to see if I need to scale it any more without needing to transfer it to foam.

With things like this, particularly because the piece isn't going to flex that much (or shouldn't flex that much), you can probably get away with anything that will stick to the foam. However, there have been several instances of people using caulking such as this to fill in gaps: Selleys No More Gaps Coloured Caulk 450g Vanilla

So really, it just depends on personal preference.

Ahhh I see, so just upscale the visor template a few % every time and just keep doing that until I get the closest match? That is a brilliant idea my friend :D cheers

I have thought about the Caulking, but I dont really know to much about how to apply it, Im assuming that you can paint over it? Would you just smooth it out with a rag or something after applying it?

Thanks for all the advice :)
- JD

Paint Update!

So been sorta slack over the past few days, but last night decided to soldier on and continue with this project.
After Commander Palmer released her painting and weathering tutorial (Praise the Sun!)
575677_1.jpg
I was so excited to start the weathering now that I have a solid direction and advice at my disposal.
So here are the results :D any critiques are always appreciated and welcomed.

Shoulder Pieces:
WP_20170823_08_02_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20170823_08_02_40_Pro.jpg

And here are the foot peices
WP_20170823_08_03_21_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_08_03_27_Pro.jpg

The process was fairly simple, just painting around all the edges with a coat of black paint, then once that has dried, going over the same edges with a metallic silver paint, without going over the very edge of where the black paint stops. This gives a more solid weathering effect as it breaks up the silver colour and the base colour of the armour, providing some nice contrast.

Thoughts?

- JD

Evening Ladies and Gentleman :)

Hope everyone is having a good evening, because I am :D
So here is what I am working on tonight.
WP_20170823_19_13_08_Pro.jpg

Gap filling of my Mk.II helmet. I am using a Aussie product (Ew but oh well) called Selleys No more gaps, which is a paintable caulk sorta thing. Its pretty simple to use, put it into the caulk gun and squeeze some into the gaps and then run a damp rag over the gap to then remove excess caulk from the gaps. Simple :D
WP_20170823_19_13_08_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_19_13_14_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_19_13_19_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_19_21_06_Pro.jpg

Here is the results for you careful consideration and critiques!
Have fun :D

- JD

Second update of the night :O This must be all my motivation for the next few weeks i think xD

So finished up the weathering on my shoulders :D so happy with how its starting to look

What do you guys think? :)
WP_20170823_23_06_55_Pro.jpg

And a few more angles :)

WP_20170823_23_06_55_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_23_07_00_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_23_07_06_Pro.jpg WP_20170823_23_07_12_Pro.jpg

Night from me all :)

- JD

Looks really good. I likey.
Question. Are you planning on weathering the stripes and making the armour look older by doing a wash of some sort?

Looks really good. I likey.
Question. Are you planning on weathering the stripes and making the armour look older by doing a wash of some sort?

That is a good question, and one I have been pondering. I am thinking about putting a stripe on both shoulders, but I am not 100% certain that I will. But the wash, tossing up between a brown or a black wash. Being that the colours are already quite dark, I think a brown wash would be more suitable? Thoughts?

Planning on adding a light grey (the colour of the stripe) stripe to the helmet as well, modeled after the Rookie from ODST.

To answer the first part of your question second (Im special like that) I am unsure how to exactly weather the stripes. Any ideas would be helpful haha

Cheers
- JD

Forgive the crudeness of this example. I wouldn't be able to explain without any visuals.
So here is a discards knee from my ODST build ( it's too small )
20170823_202430.jpg
Gave it a quick and dirty weathering job. I know it's terrible.
20170823_204031.jpg
Then I went back with a wash of black to dull down the stripe and then attempted to simulate paint chips by dotting paint. 20170823_204808.jpg
Hope this helps.
Now let the insults and critiques on my pitiful attempt begin! :p

Forgive the crudeness of this example. I wouldn't be able to explain without any visuals.
So here is a discards knee from my ODST build ( it's too small )
View attachment 248800
Gave it a quick and dirty weathering job. I know it's terrible.
View attachment 248801
Then I went back with a wash of black to dull down the stripe and then attempted to simulate paint chips by dotting paint. View attachment 248802
Hope this helps.
Now let the insults and critiques on my pitiful attempt begin! :p

I wouldnt says its...........uhhh Well its sorta.......kinda like........maybe its......possibly? xD

Hahaha honestly its not too bad, I think a black under shade (similar to mine) would have made it stand out as weathering separate from your line. What it looks like in your picture is that the weather and line are similar colours, and so it becomes hard to differentiate what is exactly what. With a small black outline, would serve to add contrast while still having the effect of weathering with a similar shade of colour.

As for your blackwash, would probably recommend diluting it down more with water, so its effectively dirty black water. That would make it seem like its more dirty because its shaded black but still not a solid coat of paint. It has....transparency? Is that the word I am looking for?

But thanks heaps for the references on what not to do ;) (Kidding)

Appreciate it :) hope you find this feedback helpful

Will try some more tonight to weather up the line

-JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back