JudgemetDays Reach ODST (WIP + Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks man :D any improvements? :)

- JD

My only one that I can give is to perhaps do some work on the area around where the visor goes. It looks like there's a bit of a gap near the center of the visor, and the foam on the left hand side (Or at least, in the photos) of the visor seems a little thicker than the right hand side.

Again, could be the photo making things look weird. Beyond that, this looks great.

My only one that I can give is to perhaps do some work on the area around where the visor goes. It looks like there's a bit of a gap near the center of the visor, and the foam on the left hand side (Or at least, in the photos) of the visor seems a little thicker than the right hand side.

Again, could be the photo making things look weird. Beyond that, this looks great.

I see what you mean, I dont think that it is uneven, I think it might be the photo, but I will probably plug that gap with some foam soon :) thanks for noticing that it seems noticable haha.

Cheers

- JD

Hey all :) todays update requires some feedback from you guys :) I have encountered a problem that I am unsure how to proceed.

The ODST is an iconic piece of the Halo Universe, the shape of the helmet and the visor is what helps define an ODST as an ODST. So my first problem is this.

WP_20170919_15_24_41_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_15_24_46_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_15_24_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_15_24_35_Pro.jpg

This visor that you see in the above photos is one that I made from this plastic that I had around that is slightly see-through but this isnt what I want to use for my final visor. This was just to test out the template and see the sizes were correct and that it all fits before I use my metallic visor material stuff from Esty. The problem I am having is if you can see the 3rd photo that there is an air pocket where the bottom template connects to the top part of the template? that I have tried to cut out for it to be smooth. I hope that makes sense, just comment if it doesnt xD I am unsure how to resolve that issue.

Talking to my dad (who is quite creative himself) he suggested using this.
WP_20170919_16_03_46_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_16_03_52_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_16_03_58_Pro.jpg

This is an old slightly mirrored motorcycle visor that honestly fits reasonably well into the helmet. I personally dont like it because its lacking that iconic ODST visor design that I really love and would love to be able to implement into my helmet. So there is that. Thats the second problem.

The third problem is that no matter what idea I decide to implement whenever I wear the helmet my breath fogs up the helmet quite rapidly. So I have been thinking about some little fans or something inside the helmet. Now question, do I want to be blowing air INTO my helmet, or OUT of my helmet?
As for placement of the fans I was thinking that I could place them into here

WP_20170919_16_16_57_Pro.jpg WP_20170919_16_17_08_Pro.jpg

There is quite abit of space just below my ears and around the back of my neck. I need to put some foam padding into the front around my forehead to help hold the front of the helmet off my face and to push my head towards the back. I do believe that some sort of de fogging device is needed though :)

If anyone has any suggestions they are welcome :)

If its just you PaiganBoi, then I expect an essay on how to resolve all these problems ;) <3

Cheers everyone :)

- JD

Well its been a week since my last update, and honestly I am sad and disappointed that I have had no feedback on my last post D: :( feelsbadman

Slightly Frustrating, as my deadline is coming up soon, but I cant hold that against any of you, as its not your fault. But anyway. Rant over.

This week I have been working on painting some more of the armour and working on the legs.

WP_20170926_21_37_21_Pro.jpg
If your still following this PaiganBoi I would like to give you credit for the pieces of blue foam that may look familiar to you. I adapted the design from your Mini Chief thigh build and I appreciate that :)

Its quite snug but I believe that it will be good for the end :)

These photos are the thigh, knee and shin pieces just sitting on my leg at the moment to show what it will eventually look like :)
Coming along good I think.

WP_20170926_21_36_45_Pro.jpg WP_20170926_21_36_23_Pro.jpg WP_20170926_21_36_33_Pro.jpg

Painted the torso and the chest plate again. Looks good, going to spray paint the inside with a black when the weather is not raining. Liking this too

WP_20170926_21_38_20_Pro.jpg WP_20170926_21_38_32_Pro.jpg WP_20170926_21_39_04_Pro.jpg

Also painted the helmet with a second coat of a new gray that I really like, and a second coat of white for the details.

WP_20170926_22_28_56_Pro.jpg WP_20170926_22_29_07_Pro.jpg

So feedback for this update would be appreciated, but I would really like some feedback for the post above as I am struggling with this problem and really need some help from the community.

Cheers all

- JD

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have no advice for your visor problems. My ODST and Project Mini Chief are my Halo builds. Since I am building from the ground up, I have not made a helmet before thus having no experience in making a visor. Plus I am in a similar position in that I am trying to figure out how to make and get that iconic shape in the ODST visor with the material that I have. :cry:
The motorcycle visor looks cool and all but, from the way the pic looks, it doesn't quite fit the right way. IMO it makes the bucket look more like the Air Assault.
Have your considered using a hard hat liner to help keep your noggin in the center of you helmet?
Or you can maybe use what this guy is doing.
This is prob what I'm going to do.

I like what you did with your thigh plates. (y)
Still need to do that with my build as well. I had all the bit cut and ready but, I had to make an adjustment and now they done fit. I have to make new ones. :mad:.
Are you still planning on doing the camo patterns on your arms and shins?
Your helmet and chest are looking good. There is something about dropping paint your armour and it just starts to bring it to life.
I am excited to see this all done and your wearing it with pride.

Sorry I wasn't much help on the visor issue. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and give you some good advice.

Unfortunately I have no advice for your visor problems. My ODST and Project Mini Chief are my Halo builds. Since I am building from the ground up, I have not made a helmet before thus having no experience in making a visor. Plus I am in a similar position in that I am trying to figure out how to make and get that iconic shape in the ODST visor with the material that I have. :cry:
The motorcycle visor looks cool and all but, from the way the pic looks, it doesn't quite fit the right way. IMO it makes the bucket look more like the Air Assault.
Have your considered using a hard hat liner to help keep your noggin in the center of you helmet?
Or you can maybe use what this guy is doing.
This is prob what I'm going to do.

I like what you did with your thigh plates. (y)
Still need to do that with my build as well. I had all the bit cut and ready but, I had to make an adjustment and now they done fit. I have to make new ones. :mad:.
Are you still planning on doing the camo patterns on your arms and shins?
Your helmet and chest are looking good. There is something about dropping paint your armour and it just starts to bring it to life.
I am excited to see this all done and your wearing it with pride.

Sorry I wasn't much help on the visor issue. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in and give you some good advice.

Even a simple "Nah brah you are on your own ;) " would have helped xD haha no worries man, just felt like people forgot about me.

Yea still planning on the camo for the arms and thighs :) and your idea with the thighs was awesome haha.

The visor is an interesting one. I have ordered another pieces of that metallic film sheet stuff, but seeing as its from the USA and I am in NZ, postage will take a while. If that arrives before my deadline then that should be awesome. If not well then we shall see what I do xD

Have you thought anything about defogging your helmet eventually? :)

Cheers man :)

- JD

Hey JudgementDay good job on the suit so far. There are a few ways to keep your helmet fog free.

1) Anti fog spry....and let me tell you some of the names are pretty funny: Jaws Quick Spit, No Fogg'n Way, EK Cat Crap (I "S" you not!!!). Then there are a whole bunch of regular types: Rain X Anti Fog (Walmart) Z'fogless (Bed Bath & Beyond) and several from Bausch & Lomb.

2) Ventilation. Having a fan in your helmet keeps the air moving and also prevents your visor from fogging up.

Hey JudgementDay good job on the suit so far. There are a few ways to keep your helmet fog free.

1) Anti fog spry....and let me tell you some of the names are pretty funny: Jaws Quick Spit, No Fogg'n Way, EK Cat Crap (I "S" you not!!!). Then there are a whole bunch of regular types: Rain X Anti Fog (Walmart) Z'fogless (Bed Bath & Beyond) and several from Bausch & Lomb.

2) Ventilation. Having a fan in your helmet keeps the air moving and also prevents your visor from fogging up.

Thanks for the advice man :) so fans, do you blow air into the visor, out of the helmet, or both? The fans in helmets has always been a mystery to me xD

- JD

The fan will force the heat out of the helmet. Some people even cut vent holes to draw in "Fresh" air from outside the helmet, or vent holes on the top to allow the heat to escape out.

I would like to welcome back everyone to my build. I must apologize to everyone that has been following my thread. I am useless and I am well aware how long it has been. Sorry. Mixture of deadline approaching and personal life issues caused me to stop posting before the convention arrived and after it had been and gone I no longer had any motivation to finish off this thread.

BUT, that is all changing right now. My costume is "Finished" but not yet "Done" if that makes any sense.

So if you are all willing to bear with me on this journey I would greatly appreciate it.

My plan is to show you the "finished" costume and the I will go through individual pieces as requested by people who would like to know how I did certain things.

I will be happy to talk to anyone about anything to do with my costume :)

My goals here on in are to talk about what I liked about different parts and what I am going to do to improve pieces that I did not enjoy.

So here we go,

Once more, Sorry for not being here to "Finish the fight"

Overall I was happy with the finished design for the most part. I want to eventually make the shins fully enclosed around the rear of my calves to make it closer to the game design. The thighs I need to connect to the belt or even up to my torso piece or even over the shoulders like overalls? The reason being that the thighs fall down quite easily when walking.
ODST-1.jpg

The pouches I stuck on with just some Velcro tape, which was not strong enough to hold them on for the whole day at the con. I had the same problem with the grenades on the belt. Need a more permanent solution.
ODST-2.jpg

Helmet fit really well :) was really happy with that apart from I didn't have time to implement a visor fog counter. Will have to get close up shots of the visor and the inside to show you how that worked out.
ODST-3.jpg

I was quite impressed with how much maneuverability I had in the armour. I had decent range of motion with my arms. I just need a better way of holding the shoulders onto my arms. Strapping just wasn't good enough as it eventually ripped off the foam.
ODST-4.jpg

My girlfriend and I met Buck <3 such a nice dude
Nathan.jpg

Also shout out to my girlfriend for creating an awesome Star-Lord cosplay
22790545_1852594408087434_1725031305_o.jpg 22812863_1852593838087491_1539138500_o.jpg
The helmet was created from foam using Pepakura templates as a rough guide. But mostly her creative genius <3

Love you all, Glad to be back :D

-JD

JudgementDay! Good to see you back. The suit turned out great. Excellent job.
You had originally planned on painting parts with a camo pattern. Will that be part of your improvement plan for the suit?

Duuuude I have just been reading up on your thread seeing what I have missed. Your suit looks fantastic mate, heaps of small things that I noticed that I wouldn't mind "borrowing" for my own.

I did notice you were talking about camo paint for your helmet and thighs and forearms ;) I wonder where that idea came from? <3 ;) But in all seriousness I would like to implement that down the road. I just didn't have the time last year.

I'm not above using you as my beta tester haha :p

Look forward to seeing how you paint your armour :) and how you will seal it after you finished painting. I have heaps of paint rubbing off edges because of friction between pieces, even though I used a matte varnish spray. Might have to use a paint on style perhaps.

But yes I would like camo paint for the forearms and the thighs, probably not my helmet though as I like the white stripes I have there now :)

Glad to be back

- JD

Duuuude I have just been reading up on your thread seeing what I have missed. Your suit looks fantastic mate, heaps of small things that I noticed that I wouldn't mind "borrowing" for my own.

I did notice you were talking about camo paint for your helmet and thighs and forearms ;) I wonder where that idea came from? <3 ;) But in all seriousness I would like to implement that down the road. I just didn't have the time last year.

I'm not above using you as my beta tester haha :p

Look forward to seeing how you paint your armour :) and how you will seal it after you finished painting. I have heaps of paint rubbing off edges because of friction between pieces, even though I used a matte varnish spray. Might have to use a paint on style perhaps.

But yes I would like camo paint for the forearms and the thighs, probably not my helmet though as I like the white stripes I have there now :)

Glad to be back

- JD
Yes... I wonder who's work inspired the camo idea... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My friend, if my build helps give ideas on how to make any changes or improvements to your suit then borrow away.

Yes... I wonder who's work inspired the camo idea... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
My friend, if my build helps give ideas on how to make any changes or improvements to your suit then borrow away.

I appreciate that :) did you find a solution for the inside of your helmet for holding it better on your head? Because I am more than happy to show you how I did mine :)

-JD

My girlfriend and I met Buck <3 such a nice dude
View attachment 255442

:eek: YOU MET NATHAN FILLION WHILE IN ODST BDUS? :eek:

There's not many stories out there that can top that. I'd retire the costume and call it there. Well done, everyone go home. The game is won forever.

:eek: YOU MET NATHAN FILLION WHILE IN ODST BDUS? :eek:

There's not many stories out there that can top that. I'd retire the costume and call it there. Well done, everyone go home. The game is won forever.

I meet him first in full costume when I got him to sign a picture of Buck at the convention, but got to have a chat with him later that night at the VIP party (That costed me so much money D: ) the only reason I bought the VIP tickets was to meet Nathan and also Steve Downes and Jen Taylor were there as well :O (Got their autographs too)

I thought about getting him to sign the helmet (easily done) but part of me couldn't because I feel like it would ruin it? Not that it wouldnt be awesome to have him do it haha just didnt really want it on my armour :p

Such a charming dude though was man crushing so hard even my girlfriend noticed xD

-JD

Right now, I might use some cheap 1 inch sponge strips along the top and sides to lift and make a bit more snug so it doesn't bobble around.
I would love to see what you came up with to secure.

Starting off with an apology for the terrible camera D: was a struggle finding good light to take a photo inside my helmet. But I hope you can see I have just used a single strip of foam around the front just above the visor which sits on my forehead (pushing the helmet away from my face) and a single strip across the top till about the center of my head.

The back half the helmet sat on my head fine so I didn't need a full head support (which i did try but was not gonna work). The front just holds the visor off my face and pushes it away giving me more breathing space and fitting more snuggly to my head. Before I implemented the headband whenever I looked around the helmet would swivel? I guess? Just feel really loose haha. Afterwards though felt really good.

WP_20180517_09_51_30_Pro.jpg WP_20180517_09_51_39_Pro.jpg WP_20180517_09_52_07_Pro.jpg WP_20180517_09_52_22_Pro.jpg

Hopefully that helped? haha

-JD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back